The only time I drink any kind of soda is with vodka 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    The only time I drink any kind of soda is with vodka 🤷🏼‍♀️

Your priorities are straight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    3 days and 7 pages. Wow! I live with 3 other people with varying degrees of interest in good health. In the past year I, one of my daughters, and occasionally my wife have consumed Coke Zero, Diet Coke Squirt Zero, Big Red Zero, 7-Up Zero, and Ginger-Lime Coke Zero. The common theme of this is Zero.
    To reduce the cash spend, I've started consuming homemade artificially sweetened tea.

Today, for instance, I've had 2 12-oz cans of the Zero products and about 1.5 quarts of the tea.
    Oh, and 64 oz of coffee, which I prefer black or keto-fattened.
  • Jeeplet18
    Jeeplet18 Posts: 57 Member
    I allow myself one soda a day.... Diet Cherry Coke, please!
    I usually drink it with dinner because I pound water throughout the day at work.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    Likely studies like this.
    http://time.com/collection/guide-to-weight-loss/4859012/artificial-sweeteners-weight-loss

Not to say sugary sodas are better..

It appears I may need to bring out the "lack of pirates causes global warming" chart again. This is correlative data and correlation does not equal causation.

I think the author does a pretty good job pointing that out 🙂
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Online I call it soda. IRL I use the term coke generally for all carbonated beverages. I use soda if I'm trying to be specific. Pop sounds weird.

It's a very neat regional indicator in the US.

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

Super weird because my hometown and current town are both in western Missouri (though not close together at all) and very blue indicating "pop" being preferred term...just about EVERYONE I know calls it soda, always.

I knew a handful of friends in high school (20 years ago) whose parents called it pop and I thought that was weirdly childish/embarrassing. Had no clue 'til recently that pop's a pretty normal term!

I was going to comment even before this super cool graphic was posted that I’m from the very divided border state of Missouri. I grew up in KC calling it pop, went to college in SW MO where I had STL roommates who called it soda but the locals called it coke, and now live in STL myself and call it soda.

Just wanted to acknowledge a fellow Missourian since there was some Michigan love earlier...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    In Australia all carbonated flavoured drinks are called soft drinks.
    I use the term soda on MFP because everyone understands what I mean.

But IRL, I would only use and only hear ' soft drink'

Re diet drinks - I drink Pepsi max or Coke Zero, or diet Coke. Diet Coke tastes bit chemically to me, I prefer the others
    ( am not against chemicals and I know everything is chemicals, but not sure how else to describe the taste)
    All other soft drinks - diet lemonade, orange etc taste way too chemically and I don't drink them at all. I think the stronger cola taste masks the chemically taste better.

I don't drink them every day - probably on average 2 - 3 cans per week.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    I like diet ginger ale when I am having a cocktail. Drives me crazy that bars only have diet coke for soft drinks.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Aside from on the rocks, how else am I expected to drink whiskey?
  • arieswrite1
    arieswrite1 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm from Washington (state) and grew up calling it pop. When I moved to New Jersey, the woman at the supermarket register asked where I was from when I called it pop, because I always hear soda out here. After that, I call it soda when I'm in New Jersey and revert back to pop when I go home for visits. In my head it's almost always pop, though.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    Likely studies like this.
    http://time.com/collection/guide-to-weight-loss/4859012/artificial-sweeteners-weight-loss

Not to say sugary sodas are better..

did you even read the article you linked to??

"It's not yet clear whether artificial sweeteners actually cause harm, however. Observational studies that link the sweeteners to health problems do not prove the sweeteners themselves are responsible."
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    I do love cherry coke zero. And a diet coke and coconut rum is my go to party drink. But I only drink these on occasion. Mostly I drink different flavors of tea (hot and cold). I just prefer the taste of these to water.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    I drink way too much.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    I chose to stop drinking it. Haven't had or wanted any soda in 4+ years.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited April 2019
    No but not because I'm opposed to diet soda. I actually almost never drink any soda at all. I've never really like soda, especially dark soda like, coke or Pepsi, and I've tried to like Dr Pepper, but it's just gross. I usually only drink water.
    Maybe once or twice a year if I'm at a restaurant that doesn't have good water and they don't have lemonade I'll order sprite, 7up, or Sierra Mist, whichever they have. Mountain Dew tastes ok too I guess.
    Even when it's ice cold, I don't like how the carbonation burns going down, and it only makes me thirstier.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    No but not because I'm opposed to diet soda. I actually almost never drink any soda at all. I've never really like soda, especially dark soda like, coke or Pepsi, and I've tried to like Dr Pepper, but it's just gross. I usually only drink water.
    Maybe once or twice a year if I'm at a restaurant that doesn't have good water and they don't have lemonade I'll order sprite, 7up, or Sierra Mist, whichever they have. Mountain Dew tastes ok too I guess.
    Even when it's ice cold, I don't like how the carbonation burns going down, and it only makes me thirstier.

Haha, I'm kind of the opposite. I do like cola, but I dislike lemon-lime flavors, and especially don't care for Mountain Dew. Only drank it because ~peer pressure~ back in the day.
  • IWillTakeBackMyLife
    IWillTakeBackMyLife Posts: 155 Member
    I don't enjoy soda in general. Diet, or otherwise. The carbonation makes it really hard to drink for me, but it also feels gross on my teeth and usually not to my taste. This month the only thing I'll be drinking is water. I may sneak a few cups of tea in there though.