Do you drink diet soda?

Options

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Online I call it soda. IRL I use the term coke generally for all carbonated beverages. I use soda if I'm trying to be specific. Pop sounds weird.
  • Ddub2020
    Ddub2020 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking so much water the last few weeks I can barely finish a can of diet soda.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Online I call it soda. IRL I use the term coke generally for all carbonated beverages. I use soda if I'm trying to be specific. Pop sounds weird.

It's a very neat regional indicator in the US.

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What the heck is "other"? :lol:
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I just had a diet soda. Am I going to die? :'(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »
    I just had a diet soda. Am I going to die? :'(

Yes, probably sometime in the next 70 years. Watch out!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Sodipop, bubbly, soft drink, sodie. My grandpa says sodie or sodipop.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I call it pop. Others call it sodapop. Every now and again you hear a really old timer call Them “dopes”
    P.s .. southerner here :)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I never drink diet soda. The artificial sweeteners are really bad for you. They are counter intuitive to loosing weight. They are proven to work against weight loss.

would love to hear how a zero calorie drink is counter intuitive to losing weight?? :/
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    Likely studies like this.
    http://time.com/collection/guide-to-weight-loss/4859012/artificial-sweeteners-weight-loss

Not to say sugary sodas are better..

From the link-
    It's not yet clear whether artificial sweeteners actually cause harm, however. Observational studies that link the sweeteners to health problems do not prove the sweeteners themselves are responsible.

eta: every study/article I've read about artificial sweeteners always says something similar in it, because there's no reputable scientific data that shows a.s. causes any kind of negative outcomes, besides in those who have sensitivities. And there's numerous kinds used in various products, so to make blanket statements that a.s. is 'bad' doesn't even make sense.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I forgot about soft drink, the other ones are adorable. But bubbly is champagne to me :smile:
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    No, I do not drink diet pop/soda. They all taste gross to me, is why.

If I am going to drink a sweetened carbonated beverage, I want it to taste decent and be worth the calories it'll cost me for it to do so. As such, if I drink one, I drink one made with actual sugar/cane juice vs. HFCS as that junk tastes nasty to me, too.

I also don't drink any that are over 12 ounces since I can't personally comprehend guzzling 20-30-40+ ounces of pop/soda/s.pellegrino in one sitting. And if I do drink one, I work the drink into my calories for the day vs. them being in addition to. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Growing up in Montreal, I knew them as 'soft drinks'. My grandparents called everything that wasn't cola 'ginger ale'. But you could have a cherry ginger ale, a lemon-lime ginger ale, etc. All colas were 'Coke'.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

It's a very neat regional indicator in the US.

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

Super weird because my hometown and current town are both in western Missouri (though not close together at all) and very blue indicating "pop" being preferred term...just about EVERYONE I know calls it soda, always.

I knew a handful of friends in high school (20 years ago) whose parents called it pop and I thought that was weirdly childish/embarrassing. Had no clue 'til recently that pop's a pretty normal term!