Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi all!
    Swing dance class tonight. :D

Today I'm going to have to do some food planning. Tomorrow we are doing a nursery and school pick up so will be getting home at dinner time. I think I will make a ragu this afternoon , (bolognese sauce), so I can rustle up a quick pasta when we get back. DH insists on veggies, so I will probably cook up some broccoli.
    Thursday I hope to be up in London, seeing my cancer friend, so I'm not at all sure what time I'll be home. Best thing is if he goes ahead with a portion of ragu and adds what he likes (baked potato? ) and I just play it by ear. Might get sushi for the train. :D
    DH has cricket for four days starting Friday, but I'm going to let him sort out his own lunches etc. I am away in York for my friend's celebration Saturday to Monday, so will do something for Friday night dinner and then let him sort himself out. Where we used to live the Hampshire cricket ground was ten minutes drive away, now it is at least an hour and a half. :s He will have to apply his brain as to how he is going to cope with that. We normally eat at 6.15. He won't be back until gone 8.00. Luckily it's not hard to find food at any time of day in Brighton and Hove.
    I could let myself worry about him and prepare stuff for this weekend, but I'm not going to let myself. He is a fully functioning adult. :laugh:

The weather has been glorious here, but has taken a turn for the worse. Grey skies today. Not a good forecast for the week.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • paulaleanprimalqueen
    Options
    Paula from Florida. 59 yo. Started end of January and have lost 8 to date. Lost 2 # in March and goal is 2 more in April. Total of 6 more pounds by July. Going slow, don't want to lose muscle and want it to be sustainable through the fall. Training for a powerlifting meet in June and one in August
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I got my rowing machine hooked up to my computer so I'm tracking my rowing on Strava. :):)

M in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Setting Goals ... I confess to not being good at goal setting in the past. And I see a lot of you are a lot like me! This quote always motivates me and is ... in part ... why I decided to commit to specific goals and actions this year in my weight loss efforts.
    s67l4qt1b2we.jpeg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I used to be really good at goal setting. I had heaps of goals. And I met most of them!

A little over a year ago, that all changed and ever since then, I've just been trying to do the next thing on the list ... and not forget anything. I live constantly with that feeling like I'm forgetting something.

n6q8yp3h4npu.png

These (in my MFP blog) are the Brain Injury websites I have been referring to over the past year or so. It’s a lot to wade through, but if you’re interested in anything about brain injury this is a good place to start ...

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/brain-injury-websites-967801

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Evelyn great start! Yay you for logging. YAY!
    Rebecca Vanilla Sleepytime is my fave for just that reason. So glad you got some good sleep.
    Sue in WA love the daffodils in goat pen. Surprised they haven't been munched ;)
    Suebdew jealous of your rosebuds, but grateful for our crocus, hyacinths, daffs and the two tulips that are poking up.
    pip I don't say it often enough but your stats are always amazing!
    Betsy would love to hear how you're teaching Ella not to pull. My little Tumble thinks she's a malamute and I'm her slegde.
    Barbie :love: your stress relievers :heart:
    Sharon working OT when you should be retired? :noway: Hope you got to celebrate your birthday a little.

Welcome Karen from N. Idaho. SWSY = Strong Women Stay Young strength training workout. We have two Barbaras, Barbie who starts this thread and wisely guides us and me, Barbara who lived in Boise for 20 years but is happy to be back to the coast.
    Welcome M71157, let us know what you to be called and your general location?
    Welcome KarenScofield, Laura in Miami (we'll want to see pics of your Ukranian Easter eggs) and Natasha in Canada.

Mild rainy day, got loads of laundry done and drank champagne with Joe all afternoon. Good times.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 1/30, 60 g protein 1/30, rx/vits 1/30, meditate 1/30, knee exercises 1/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 1/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 0/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/01 LT: cut sheet squares-Y MT: Make vet appointments-Y ST: Laundry x 5-Y

Thx for noticing :0). Sweet of u to say that
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Penny

First...your husband leaving messages on the steamy mirror after his shower is charming and lovely.

Second, the race you are preparing for is "only a half marathon" ?

runner-smiley-emoticon.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a busy day at work. Apparently college students "think" they can tell the instructor how to write the exam and what questions should be on the exam. I've never had a group like this. I think they are just tired because we have 4 weeks left in the semester.

My daughter is on spring break this week. That means the ballet school is closed too, so less driving all over for me.

I felt great about March...until the end of the month. I did great logging into MFP, but the allure of Easter candy got me about 3 times the end of March. To my credit, I didn't buy a big bag and eat it. That's what I would have done last October (Halloween was tough!!). Darn those Reese's eggs are hard to pass by. I did continue to exercise and make good food choices so I still had weight loss.

April goals...to continue the momentum I have with MFP. Continue using the gym. Hope for warmer dry weather so I can walk in our Waterfront Park. It's so beautiful along the river. I'd like to lose 10 more pounds by the end of the month. That means no more Easter candy!!

Connie in KY
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

n6q8yp3h4npu.png

Machka in Oz

:) Thank you, Machka, this is something that I want to do better.

• Jelliqal
    Jelliqal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »

Hi Gals,

Happy April! Thanks Barbie for getting us started.

I spent 3 hours with my nephew yesterday, talked about college, he’s been going to a 2 year community or jr. college and will graduate in June then off to finish his BA at a 4 year, he’s going to my alma mater, I’m so pleased! I think he’ll enjoy it.

My brother who is dying is his Dad, and we talked about that, and what is important to my nephew. My family doesn’t do funerals, celebrations of life or any thing else – you die, your gone, you will be barely spoken of again – this is not a healthy system. He and I have talked about it, he has had some friends die, and his half brother’s grandmother, so he has attended “normal” funerals. So he wanted to know a few things about how we could do what he thought would be helpful. The challenge will be that I have a sister who is completely divorced from the family, I last saw her 26 years ago and she refuses to take calls or emails, my mom really wants her to come out, my nephew doesn’t want to meet her. I told him I would do what I can; I hope that if she comes it is to the graveside family only thing and not to the celebration of life. I’ve thought about talking to Mom about this, but think I’ll wait, as if she refuses to come no one has to be bothered about it.

We also talked about his upcoming 21st birthday, I told him the priority was to not get in a car with anyone who was drinking and to have folks around who would look out for him. (21 is the legal drinking age in CA)

Kim from N. California

===================================================================

Sorry to hear about your brother. Family situations are the worst in times like these. Adversity brings out either the best or the worst in people.

My son is turning 21 in May. I am actually not worried about him. I have offered him alcohol at occasional family events. He has tried it and gone: YUCH! Why do people do this? It is nasty! It burns. He has seen my husband and I drink a glass or two responsibly and he has been to parties and seen people get violently ill and he wants no part of that. So he knows what to do and what to avoid. And that you don't have to do it at all. Options like Uber and lyft actually make our kids safer. And it is really nice that he is close to you to talk with you about these things that matter to him.

Important thing about these goals is to do things you can control - I can control how many calories I eat - I can't control how much my body chooses to loose. that is a fine, but important distinction.

Doing the things I can control I did well last month -- but they are not producing the desired results and my drs and I are frustrated & concerned.

April Showers Bring May Flowers ^_^

Claire
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Praise the Lord~ My DFIL ate everything... I fed him but he is feeling so much better, he had cream of wheat ,eggs and fruit..and a glass of milk..
    and the boys were good..
    I am home now with my pup and will do stuff around the house today..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Natasha from Canada: Welcome! Which province is home? :flowerforyou:

Machka: My mom had some spectacular hydrangeas and they loved the sun. :bigsmile:

Paula from FL: You have a great strategy. Losing weight slowly is more likely to succeed in the long term. Welcome to a great group. :star:

Penny: Your photos are beautiful!!! I have missed hearing from you and am delighted that you're back with us. :heart:

Today is dental day for me. I’m having two crowns put in. The teeth have silver amalgam fillings that date back to the sixties. The old fillings will come out and then the crowns will be put in. I’m guessing I’ll end up with a sore jaw from having my mouth open that wide. I had an appointment set up for this for later in the spring, but the dentist had a cancellation and moved me forward. This will be a medical week for the dog, too. He goes in for his cyst surgery on Thursday.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Hi Penny! :bigsmile: <3

Slashing down with rain. :s I've been out and got all my stuff.
    Tonight is spicy sausage from the Brazilian shop :D with cannellini beans, and spinach. Then we rush off to dancing! :o I'll have to go easy on the garlic for the sake of my dancing partners.
    Hope the shower eases up.

Now to cook ragu.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Natasha from Canada: Welcome! Which province is home? :flowerforyou:

Today is dental day for me. I’m having two crowns put in. The teeth have silver amalgam fillings that date back to the sixties. The old fillings will come out and then the crowns will be put in. I’m guessing I’ll end up with a sore jaw from having my mouth open that wide. I had an appointment set up for this for later in the spring, but the dentist had a cancellation and moved me forward. This will be a medical week for the dog, too. He goes in for his cyst surgery on Thursday.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Katla yesterday I had a dentist appointment too. She had to take a 20+ year old crown off the back lower molar, repair a pinpoint cavity on the tooth beneath and put on a new crown. The old crown had developed a small hole in it close to the gum line and the gum had grown into the hole making removal of the crown challenging. By the time we got it off, repaired the cavity, made the new crown, fitted it, baked it and adhered it to the tooth I was so ready to be out of that chair. My jaw is slightly swollen and very tender this morning. I'm very thankful that is over with.

Janetr OKC
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on losing form. We were doing well at the beginning of January, but then I injured my back and hip and it all went downhill.
    Now I go to climb stairs or walk briskly and I'm huffing and puffing.

I'm with you Machka, and Penny also. I was down with the flu for a few weeks, amazed at how quickly I lost what little endurance I had!

You'll have to post some photos when you get it done.
    I will definitely post pics, really looking forward to seeing the end result myself!

Quick post again this morning, after only one day of tracking (YAY) it is already showing on the scale. After a month of holding steady (GRRRR) I am down! Today is official wi day, it's only .2 of a pound, but I'm okay with that! I actually thought I would have to post a gain because dinner was a tad on the salty side and the rings are a bit tight this morning, so to be able to post a loss is a huge victory, in my mind at least! Only read to the end of page 4, see there is a page 5, and it's probably pretty full, but must get my rear to the gym!
    Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • lacwest6605
    lacwest6605 Posts: 6,922 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Thanks for welcoming me to this group!
    Not sure what the day holds for me, yet. My mother who has COPD and had a hip replacement a few months ago said she wanted to go to the craft store today. She uses a walker and oxygen so it can be challenging taking her out especially to a large store. Usually we only go to doctor appointments.

For April goals:
    Log foods every day
    Walk 30 minutes or more at least three times a week
    Attend exercise class twice a week
    Have a weight loss of at least 5 pounds
    Stay positive

I see there is another Laura in this group, in Miami! East coast and west coast Lauras😊

Laura in Los Angeles

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Barbara, makes me laugh that you ask me for advice about how I train Ella not to pull the leash. Our relationship has always been her pulling me wherever she wants to go. A few days ago we were on our morning walk and Ella was bounding ahead of me and sort of dragging me along. Two women were walking and toward me. One said she was a dog trainer and did I want to know how to walk Ella. She showed me to hold the leash wrapped around my left hand with the loop handle in my right hand. She said to train Ella to stay on my left side. This incredible woman proceeded to have my 3 yr old girl behaving like a pro within five minutes. Then she helped me hold the leash and pull Ella back with a firm NO and sharp short pull. Amazing.

What a difference. The woman said I wasn’t firm enough and immediate enough with the corrections I’d been doing. Ella is better everyday and seems to really enjoy walking by by side. Wish I’d meet those two gals again. I’d probably embarrass them with my thanks. Good luck Barbara. I’m just amazed at Ella’s walking manners now. Still a work in progress because by nature I’m soft spoken and not a control gal, but Ella wants to please and likes this new system.

Betsy in NW Washington