Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Barbie and greetings friends :)

Here are my March 2019 Intentions and report card:
    > Get into the gym 6x/week = C+
    > Eat slower. Savor every bite. = B
    > Recumbent bike while watching TV 4 nights/week = B
    > Scan my baby album photos = F

I was doing well on the gym attendance until my fitbit broke. So, while the new FB is enroute, I've been goofing around doing other activities outside and in the living room while watching TV. I know once I have new one operating, I'll be back to my routine. Not sure I mentioned it here, but last week I had my annual wellness exam, and all was good except for slightly elevated bad cholesterol (LDL). This was my first physical with new medical group, and it was all done by the CNP. Never saw the doc, which is fine by me.

The living/dining room makeover started as just painting ceiling and walls, and mushroomed into selection of new rugs, recliners and photo art for the walls. Just waiting form some prints to be completed, then we'll start hanging up pictures. It really has become a comfy space, and we spend 95% of our time here, so it has been worth the investment.

April 2019 Intentions
    > Eat slower. Savor every bite
    > Recumbent bike while watching TV 5 nights/week/30+ mins
    > Scan my baby album photos
    > Be lighter

Word for this year is SMILE, as a reminder to smile with eyes, heart and lips in effort to increase my capacity for compassion.

The scale only budged .3 this month, but I will take it. Did try on a smaller jean size, and they zipped closed...yay for NSV's.

Laura in L.A.: Welcome to you. I also recently retired to be full time caregiver to my husband who has dementia. Where in L.A? I grew up in N. Hollywood.

Here's to a great April. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.35min, 12.6amph, 135mhr, 1.59mi= 72c
    LATERAL MACHINE- 20min, lvl2, 4resist, 114mhr, 95ahr, 1.02mi= 105c
    arm/chin up machine- 16.10min,10sts of 10ea w/55# assist, set of squats in btwn each set, 128mhr= 93c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.19min, 135mhr, 16.7amph, 1.48mi= 57c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.54min, 12.2amph, 146mhr,3.03mi= 156c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 4.54min, 9.40min mi, 149mhr, .5mi= 66c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.17min, 9.33min mi, 152mhr, .44mi= 69c
    bike ride dome 2 hm, WINDY!!- 19.18min, 8.1amph, 147mhr, 2.6mi= 190c

total cal 808
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did Prevention’s 400 Calorie Fix DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class.

Laura in Miami – welcome!

Evelyn – I don’t make the molds for the ceramics, those I buy. I just paint them. To me, this is very relaxing. I actually look forward to doing it. My Donald Duck should be finished Wed, then it goes to be fired and I’ll probably be able to pick it up next Monday. I want to start on the Peanuts characters that I have, but I need to find pictures. Evidently, you need to add a blanket for Linus. I was hoping for something that wouldn’t fade in the sunlight. Yes, I can change the blanket every year, but I was hoping not to have to do that.

Natasha – welcome. I’ve done it, it’s hard cutting out sugar at first. But after a week or two, you find that you really don’t want it. You can do this!

Paula – welcome. Are you doing anything special training for the powerlift? Great loss!

Right now it is 54 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70s. Mother Nature --- will you PLEASE get your meds adjusted?

Goal setting: I, too, don’t really like setting a goal because if I don’t succeed, I feel like such a failure. Also, circumstances change. Maybe you wanted to do something, but as the month goes on you find that are aren’t able. Didn’t that happen to you, M, last year? I see that it did.

Vince got out the old treasurer stuff to give to the guy who will be the new Treasurer of Newcomers. Seems like years ago they hired a professional to be treasurer. Plus…they had a nursery! They didn’t have members bring snacks but instead bought them.

Went to Ross, got a pair of shoes that I really wasn’t crazy about. Then went to Conn’s (I didn’t know what kind of store that was. It’s a discount clothing store) and found 2 pairs of shoes that I liked, then went to Hamrick’s and found two bras, returned the shoes I wasn’t crazy about to Ross. The guy who is going to take over as treasurer came over and Vince gave him more of the treasurer’s things. Will be home pretty muchly tonight (a rarity). Made mashed potatoes for Vince to have tomorrow. I should probably make some more chocolate bran muffins for myself. I can see if I need more oat bran and get it tomorrow but first I’ll download my coupon

Betsy in WA – the way that lady told you to walk Ella sounds so much like the way we had to walk the service dog. He was never allowed to walk in front of me but had to walk to the side. When he was a little puppy, we gave him a treat when he was by my side. The hardest part (besides giving up the service dog, even tho I knew that we were going to have to give him up) was when I went to dog walk at the SPCA. With the service dog I had to keep reminding myself “this is a working dog, he is not a pet”. Then at the SPCA I fell into my old habit of not letting the dog walk in front of me. A lady there talked to me about it and said that it was OK to let the dog walk in front of you. I then needed to change my mindset to “this is a pet”. I finally decided that I just couldn’t do it so I only concentrated on cat cuddling.

One of our cats got sick ON THE BED. Hopefully, I’ll be washing that blanket pretty soon!!!

Lorraine – welcome

Michele in NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Michelle in NC -- Linus with a real blanket sounds really cute. You should post a picture of these in your yard. They are cute.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Regarding MFP/computer issues – you could try clearing your history and deleting all your cookies. But yes, make a habit of copying your response before you post.

Regarding Dental Work – I’ve got appointments the next two Fridays. First, we finish the 3-stage root canal on one tooth. Then we fill (or something) the new broken tooth. One tooth at a time.

Regarding Medical Appointments – I can’t remember the last time I had a week without medical appointments. Oh wait, maybe over Christmas because no one was booking then. But it is has been full-on since March 2018. My husband and I each have an optical appointment this week … him check things and then get the new lenses in his existing glasses. He has had a series of issues with his eyesight since the accident. And me because I can’t see the computer screen very well anymore and it’s giving me headaches. Then I’ve got that dental appointment the next day.

Regarding Grocery Shopping – we do it online and have it delivered. Much, much, much better! :)

Regarding Ordering Take-Away - I did it for the first time in my life shortly before my husband came home from the hospital last June. I've seen people do it. I've been there when they've done it. I've just never done it myself. But it was pretty straightforward. :grin:

@evie1958 … it is amazing how just a day or a few days of logging all the food and staying within your calorie limit can have an immediate result. :) I checked on Monday, after our weekend away … gasp!! Yikes! Stuck to my calories all day Monday and Tuesday, and was down 0.2 kg on Tuesday and the same today.

@margaretturk … when I got my Bachelor of Education (graduated in 2009), I was also taught how to write a test, and you’re right, it isn’t easy to write a good test. Now, as I’m going through my Master’s, it drives me crazy when my current instructors give us tests and exams. Most of them are very good at IT, but haven’t been taught how to teach and some of their assessments are really bad. Sometimes they get it right, but often if they handed in some of the tests they’ve given us to be marked in my B-Ed Assessments class, they would have failed.

A Goal: get through my list! It would be great if I could get through it in April, but there are 50 main items on the list, each with sub-items. Also, no sooner than I finish one thing, more crop up. So we'll see how we go.

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Penny :love: The messages on the mirror, bet they're getting steamy too ;) Good thing as those beautiful pics look chilly!
    Katla and Janet I'm scheduled for a crown replacement too, apparently I've worn the gold clean off the chewing surface. ;(
    Betsy I am very happy for you and Ella. The trainers at our dog group have said that my timing is fine, so it's something else I'm doing or not doing. Agree about on which end of the leash the problem lies. On the hike Saturday I finally ended up holding the leash behind me so she had to follow while I walked ahead. Every other step she tried to dash forward around one side or the other but I didn't give her enough leash to. Thought it would wear her out and calm her down for dog group. Nope. Barky as ever at all the many new dogs. [sigh] And yes, If I met that woman I'd be grateful for an infusion of her magic. Love the story of your son finding Ella.
    Rebecca it took me so long to figure out the shopping list that I had a good laugh at myself. Thanks!
    Terri well done on your March goals!
    Carol our Tumble has also been reactive to all other dogs, but after a year of dog group socialization exercises she can now sit calmly in a circle with dogs she knows. Alas, as soon as a new dog joins in, it all goes to pot.
    Felicia, I can understand your husband being unfamiliar with web based pizza ordering, but your 12 year old? :noway:
    Machka love the one thing at a time. Sound practice.

Welcome Paula from FL, "Training fora powerlifting meet" WOW! Brava!
    Welcome Lorraine and safe travels to Spain, for fun I hope?

Too pooped for more, zzzzzzzzzzz
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 2/30, 60 g protein 2/30, rx/vits 2/30, meditate 2/30, knee exercises 2/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 2/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 1/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/02 LT: Call Farmers re: declarations change-Y MT: Call arborist about Totoro tree-Y ST: CFRFPD filing-Y
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Heather: Commiserations! We all have days like that, but they do pass. Sending positive vibes your way.
    Michelle: I can empathise with what you say about goal-setting. I have had to train myself to think of goals as guidelines for what I want to attain, and not to feel guilty when I fall short. Making SMART goals, and/or breaking them down into smaller steps help me get where I want to be, if not today, then tomorrow, or the next day. Maybe renaming them Aims might help
    S - Specific
    M - Measurable
    A - Attainable
    R - Relevant
    T - Time-bound

Later:
    I found this definition of a goal and it occcurred to me that maybe it's the deadlines that we set for ourselves that are the problem, rather than the goals.
    A goal is an idea of the future or desired result that a person or a group of people envisions, plans and commits to achieve. People endeavor to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Betsy I’ll have to try training Leah to walk on my left side and hold the lead like you mentioned. At the moment she drags me everywhere even though I pull her back with a firm NO. She is very stubborn and if I stop to get her under control, she sets off even faster as if I have held her up! She’s better on the lunchtime walk for some reason, but it could be that she knows she is only going around the block and will not get off lead. Yesterday I tried to run a bit with her (well more of a shuffle really) and she seemed to enjoy the (slightly) faster pace. I thought I would use her as an exercise coach and try to run a little bit further every day. At the moment I can run for 100 steps then walk for 50. Who knows I might get as good as Heather. ;)

Heather Hope you enjoy your weekend in York. Are you planning on doing/going anywhere in particular whilst you are here? If I remember you are staying at the newish hotel that used to be the railway offices (for some reason I can't remember the name of it) York is starting to get busy with tourists now, especially around the Minster. To be honest I don't think York is as good as it used to be, the city centre is almost a ghost town, lots of shops closed down and empty. Designer outlets on the outskirts have taken over.

Still thinking about goals for April.

Better get moving!

Love to all <3
    Viv York UK
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    DD is chugging along, I will see her soon, can't wait! She was just chosen to speak to a panel of legislators and mucketymucks ;) about her experiences in the State Univ system and her internship experience. Talking in front of a group of people was always easy for her! Takes my breath away.

Yeah, Karen. Don't our children amaze us at times? :heart: :heart: I remember how humbled I was when my daughter, age 14, was doing a school project on current affairs and she was phoning ambassadors and legislators and asking sharp questions. I always got palpitations when I picked up the phone to call anyone I didn't know. :s

Must dash out to do some extra shopping. The director of my husband's institute is coming to dinner tonight. No big deal - he's a guy we've known and liked for years - but I DO need to have a bit more food for three than for just the two of us. I've got some salt-cured salmon in my freezer so I'm serving "Laxpudding" with green beans for dinner and oranges and bananas for dessert - a dessert from my childhood. (My recipe for salmon pudding doesn't use cream, just full-fat milk.)

I need to buy potatoes, oranges and bananas. And dill. I'm pretty sure I won't find any fresh dill. :'( One of the two mail planes that usually bring us not just the mail but also much of our perishable food has been grounded because of cracks in a wing. The shelves in the grocery store are looking a bit barren. But there will be dried dill, and up here we make do with what we've got.
    /Penny doing dinner prep at the t07190.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Viv - I am going up to York, very reluctantly, to support one of my best friends who is having a combined flat-warming/70th birthday celebration. Her birthday was in early March and she has been in the flat over a year. ;) She is inviting her whole family, who are travelling some distance, plus my group of 'girls' from school are coming as well. It is costing me a fortune with two hotel nights in the city centre, plus train fares from Hove. It will take me five and a half hours door to door and it wI'll be a rush to get there for the party at 2 pm. I see my friend regularly and don't want to see my difficult friend at all. :s The other friend I do like. I think I am really only going because my friend really wants me to. I have been to York quite a few times and like it very much. This time I really want to visit the Railway Museum. I love trains.
    I'm going to give yoga a miss today and go for a run instead. It will fit in better timewise with picking up Bea from nursery and consume more calories. I won't be able to do any exercises tomorrow as I am going up to London. I have every expectation that I will overeat. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - now I've done my basic exercises I feel a bit better. :D I've given myself a day off writing as I can write on the train tomorrow. That usually works well.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    im up and showered and dressed and have my lunch and snacks set for work.. today is my long day.. and from what I hear Michael the office manager is upsetting more and more patients, I understand that our Dr wants to make money ,but he wont if he loses our longtime patients and then they tell there friends and it will go downhill from here..
    Here is hoping something changes for the better..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Wednesday! Happy Pony Express Day! That is what the kids will be learning about today. The Pony Express. I have a couple of stick horses that they can ride and we are going to write some letters to the neighbors, hop on our horses and race to their houses to deliver the mail. Hurray! I am positive the kids will love this activity because it combines horses, running, and mail (they like to play mailman). Nap time should be a breeze!
    Penny- While I was in the doctor's office last month, I found an issue of Martha Stewart Living and there was a huge article about the seed bank and photos of it (the outside of it) and the village of Longyearbyen! I got a giggle, because thanks to you, it looked familiar to me. I seem to remember you mentioning, some time ago, that Martha Stewart had visited. Good luck on your race! So wonderful to "hear" your voice and see your photos!
    REbecca- lol I love the "special" grocery list! I, however, don't need to make a special one. I can just write all kinds of produce on a list and my hubby will be gone for HOURS. The man doesn't know his fruits and veg.
    Felicia-Your story about your dh ordering take out reminds me of many, many years ago (when I was managing restaurants) my hubby called me on a Sunday morning (middle of Sunday brunch rush!) to ask how to scramble eggs! I vaguely remember spitting into the phone, "Are you kidding me?" and telling him to crack a couple eggs and "scramble" them. lol Was your hubby trying to order online? That had me anxious the first time I tried it. It's the technology.
    Heather- So sorry you are having an "off" day. Maybe a run will help? Or maybe just curling up with a blanket for some "Heather" time? You deserve a low energy day, busy lady!
    Welcome to all of the new ladies! I have to scoot and print off a few things for today's activities! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)