NO MORE CALORIE COUNTING

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Hi there! I applaud your idea to not count calories. Back in times in which people did not know the nutritional content of food, there was no calorie counting, as you write. People had to develop and cultivate a knowledge of their bodies which most of us, I believe, have lost. When one is in harmony with her body (the emotinal and mental bodies align with the physical body), then I do believe that we can intrinsically know what is right for our consumption.

However, even the issue of hunger becomes boggy when considering the contemporary way of moving through the world in a first world country. So many of us are practiced as associating other emotions with hunger, that unearthing "actual" hunger is going to take quite a journey of discovery. Hunger has become much more conflated than it was before grocery stores and easily accessible foods, for example.

I do think that the ideal life would be to NOT count calories and to eat when hungry. But each of these aspects require a very long process of excavation. Imagine being able to listen to and TRUST the body? I mean, right? That's so important...but also very challenging. So, I would keep your goal in sight but also be practical about how you can achieve it. In order to understand the path toward this, many things in the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical body need to be resolved.

Jenn
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Calorie counting is a commitment, especially for the first bit of time. It does get easier, and feels like less of a chore. But it can get super frustrating when things aren't going as planned. I think intuitive eating can be necessary and good for mental health at certain points but only if you are really in tune with your body and not using it as an excuse to throw caution to the wind and eat way out of control, like bingeing. Then it can have the exact opposite affect of what it's good for. I think it's totally healthy to take breaks here and there and relax and give your body what you think it needs. I do it sometimes, and I just have to talk myself through it and accept that the scale could go up during those times.

Best of luck and I hope you find the balance you are looking for !
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Best of luck in finding what works best for you.

unfortunately for me, eating "healthy" without calorie counting is why i was obese most of my life. even after loosing 100lbs twice. I'm a victim of my own portion creep. even in maintenance this time around i should do check ins with the scale and diary every few weeks even if i don't do so daily.
    Eating wholesome food when I was hungry led to a 70 pound weight gain over the years. Counting calories allowed me to lose that weight and maintain the loss. Wishing you a better outcome with your eating plan.

Why does this lead so many people to weight gain? We weren't counting calories a couple hundred years ago or even a hundred years ago... Seems unnatural to be measuring and counting, we should eat when we are hungry >,<

a couple of hundred years ago our access to food and what foods as well as our actiivty level was VASTLY different. you can't really compare the two.

Easy, don't eat the processed food

You mean cooked/dried/smoked/pickled/fermented/jellied? Because we've been processing food ever since someone got the idea of putting a piece of raw meat (or an apple, for all we know) into the fire and noticing how much better it tasted that way.

Now I'm imagining roasting a slice of apple on a coat hanger/stick over a camp fire.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Best of luck in finding what works best for you.

unfortunately for me, eating "healthy" without calorie counting is why i was obese most of my life. even after loosing 100lbs twice. I'm a victim of my own portion creep. even in maintenance this time around i should do check ins with the scale and diary every few weeks even if i don't do so daily.
    Eating wholesome food when I was hungry led to a 70 pound weight gain over the years. Counting calories allowed me to lose that weight and maintain the loss. Wishing you a better outcome with your eating plan.

Why does this lead so many people to weight gain? We weren't counting calories a couple hundred years ago or even a hundred years ago... Seems unnatural to be measuring and counting, we should eat when we are hungry >,<

a couple of hundred years ago our access to food and what foods as well as our actiivty level was VASTLY different. you can't really compare the two.

Easy, don't eat the processed food

Not easy. What’s your definition of processed food? That’s such a vague and general term - virtually everything we eat is “processed” in some way.

Eating processed food doesn’t cause weight gain, eating too many calories does. There have been countless examples in this thread alone of people who became overweight eating a Whole Foods diet, because they ate too many calories. There are also countless examples of people who have eaten a diet of all things in moderation, including Whole Foods, processed foods and convenience foods as part of an overall balanced and nutrient dense diet yet have done so at a calorie appropriate level and thus have achieved weight loss goals.

This is fairly much what my definition of processed food is...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4441809/

Food processing is defined as any procedure that alters food from its natural state, such as freezing, drying, milling, canning, mixing, or adding salt, sugar, fat, or additives (1, 2). Thus, the US government’s definition of “processed food”—any food other than a raw agricultural commodity—includes a diverse array of foods ranging from frozen vegetables, dried fruit, and canned beans to whole-wheat bread, breakfast cereals, prepared meals, candy, and soda (1, 2). Because of this heterogeneity, classification systems were developed to subdivide processed foods into refined categories based on the complexity of processing, the physical and chemical changes in food as a result of processing, and the purpose of processing; foods are classified into levels along a spectrum, ranging from minimally processed to highly processed (3–6). Here, we define highly processed foods as multi-ingredient industrially formulated mixtures (7).

It wasn't until I joined MFP that I even had a clue that people struggled with defining "processed". I never encountered this debate in the real world. Are there degrees of processing...of course there are. I eat some processed food but over time I am eating less and less of the "highly" processed foods. Not eating some foods that are considered processed will not work for me in my life. When I need tomato products I will always turn to "processed". I do however try to buy those that have no salt added and/or with as few of ingredients as possible.

Anyway...the above definition of "processed" has always been my thinking...just in not so technical of terms.