Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Best of luck in finding what works best for you.

unfortunately for me, eating "healthy" without calorie counting is why i was obese most of my life. even after loosing 100lbs twice. I'm a victim of my own portion creep. even in maintenance this time around i should do check ins with the scale and diary every few weeks even if i don't do so daily.
    Eating wholesome food when I was hungry led to a 70 pound weight gain over the years. Counting calories allowed me to lose that weight and maintain the loss. Wishing you a better outcome with your eating plan.

Why does this lead so many people to weight gain? We weren't counting calories a couple hundred years ago or even a hundred years ago... Seems unnatural to be measuring and counting, we should eat when we are hungry >,<

a couple of hundred years ago our access to food and what foods as well as our actiivty level was VASTLY different. you can't really compare the two.

Easy, don't eat the processed food

Not easy. What’s your definition of processed food? That’s such a vague and general term - virtually everything we eat is “processed” in some way.

Eating processed food doesn’t cause weight gain, eating too many calories does. There have been countless examples in this thread alone of people who became overweight eating a Whole Foods diet, because they ate too many calories. There are also countless examples of people who have eaten a diet of all things in moderation, including Whole Foods, processed foods and convenience foods as part of an overall balanced and nutrient dense diet yet have done so at a calorie appropriate level and thus have achieved weight loss goals.

This is fairly much what my definition of processed food is...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4441809/

Food processing is defined as any procedure that alters food from its natural state, such as freezing, drying, milling, canning, mixing, or adding salt, sugar, fat, or additives (1, 2). Thus, the US government’s definition of “processed food”—any food other than a raw agricultural commodity—includes a diverse array of foods ranging from frozen vegetables, dried fruit, and canned beans to whole-wheat bread, breakfast cereals, prepared meals, candy, and soda (1, 2). Because of this heterogeneity, classification systems were developed to subdivide processed foods into refined categories based on the complexity of processing, the physical and chemical changes in food as a result of processing, and the purpose of processing; foods are classified into levels along a spectrum, ranging from minimally processed to highly processed (3–6). Here, we define highly processed foods as multi-ingredient industrially formulated mixtures (7).

It wasn't until I joined MFP that I even had a clue that people struggled with defining "processed". I never encountered this debate in the real world. Are there degrees of processing...of course there are. I eat some processed food but over time I am eating less and less of the "highly" processed foods. Not eating some foods that are considered processed will not work for me in my life. When I need tomato products I will always turn to "processed". I do however try to buy those that have no salt added and/or with as few of ingredients as possible.

Anyway...the above definition of "processed" has always been my thinking...just in not so technical of terms.

I feel like stopping to consider whether or not something is a "multi-ingredient industrially formulated mixture" will take more time and effort than just considering whether or not it fits into my calories and allows me to meet my nutritional goals.

Obviously that definition works for some people, but it just seems so cumbersome to me.

Well I have never stood in the grocery aisle and recited that definition either. My choices are much simpler than that...I look at the pictures mostly then flip it over to see the nutrition and glance at that little tiny section that lists the ingredients.

In no way did I advocate for "no processed foods". I use them when needed. I keep some frozen dinners in the freezer for emergencies. Some days I go on strike...no meals prepped and I refused to step foot in the kitchen. I am not under the impression though that the frozen tv dinner is as good or as healthy as if I made a similar dish.

• Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Why does this lead so many people to weight gain? We weren't counting calories a couple hundred years ago or even a hundred years ago... Seems unnatural to be measuring and counting, we should eat when we are hungry >,<

We may not have been counting calories but there were some seriously overweight people around, and those who were trying to lose weight. Have you not heard of William Banting? His surname actually became a verb meaning 'dieting':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting

And the Georgians and Victorians certainly had their moments of over-indulgence:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/georgian/revealed-how-the-georgians-taught-us-to-diet-300-years-ago/

;)

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Best of luck in finding what works best for you.

unfortunately for me, eating "healthy" without calorie counting is why i was obese most of my life. even after loosing 100lbs twice. I'm a victim of my own portion creep. even in maintenance this time around i should do check ins with the scale and diary every few weeks even if i don't do so daily.
    Eating wholesome food when I was hungry led to a 70 pound weight gain over the years. Counting calories allowed me to lose that weight and maintain the loss. Wishing you a better outcome with your eating plan.

a couple of hundred years ago our access to food and what foods as well as our actiivty level was VASTLY different. you can't really compare the two.

Easy, don't eat the processed food

Not easy. What’s your definition of processed food? That’s such a vague and general term - virtually everything we eat is “processed” in some way.

Eating processed food doesn’t cause weight gain, eating too many calories does. There have been countless examples in this thread alone of people who became overweight eating a Whole Foods diet, because they ate too many calories. There are also countless examples of people who have eaten a diet of all things in moderation, including Whole Foods, processed foods and convenience foods as part of an overall balanced and nutrient dense diet yet have done so at a calorie appropriate level and thus have achieved weight loss goals.

This is fairly much what my definition of processed food is...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4441809/

Food processing is defined as any procedure that alters food from its natural state, such as freezing, drying, milling, canning, mixing, or adding salt, sugar, fat, or additives (1, 2). Thus, the US government’s definition of “processed food”—any food other than a raw agricultural commodity—includes a diverse array of foods ranging from frozen vegetables, dried fruit, and canned beans to whole-wheat bread, breakfast cereals, prepared meals, candy, and soda (1, 2). Because of this heterogeneity, classification systems were developed to subdivide processed foods into refined categories based on the complexity of processing, the physical and chemical changes in food as a result of processing, and the purpose of processing; foods are classified into levels along a spectrum, ranging from minimally processed to highly processed (3–6). Here, we define highly processed foods as multi-ingredient industrially formulated mixtures (7).

It wasn't until I joined MFP that I even had a clue that people struggled with defining "processed". I never encountered this debate in the real world. Are there degrees of processing...of course there are. I eat some processed food but over time I am eating less and less of the "highly" processed foods. Not eating some foods that are considered processed will not work for me in my life. When I need tomato products I will always turn to "processed". I do however try to buy those that have no salt added and/or with as few of ingredients as possible.

Anyway...the above definition of "processed" has always been my thinking...just in not so technical of terms.

I feel like stopping to consider whether or not something is a "multi-ingredient industrially formulated mixture" will take more time and effort than just considering whether or not it fits into my calories and allows me to meet my nutritional goals.

Obviously that definition works for some people, but it just seems so cumbersome to me.

Well I have never stood in the grocery aisle and recited that definition either. My choices are much simpler than that...I look at the pictures mostly then flip it over to see the nutrition and glance at that little tiny section that lists the ingredients.

In no way did I advocate for "no processed foods". I use them when needed. I keep some frozen dinners in the freezer for emergencies. Some days I go on strike...no meals prepped and I refused to step foot in the kitchen. I am not under the impression though that the frozen tv dinner is as good or as healthy as if I made a similar dish.

I think I may have come across differently than I intended. I wasn't arguing that you shouldn't do what obviously works for you and I didn't think you were arguing for "no processed foods."

I was just sharing that, for me personally, using that definition to choose foods wouldn't be helpful. You had shared that as your definition, so that is why I had assumed you were using it or some version of it.

For any misunderstanding or irrelevancy, I apologize.

No need for an apology Jane. I was actually rather amused trying to picture me standing in the food aisle reciting that long drawn out definition of "processed food".

I think it is a case of all of us just being passionate about what we have figured out for ourselves. I once counted every calorie(still do on somethings), weighed every little drop(not so much anymore)...I guess I would say...I have done it all. Funny thing is all of it worked...until it didn't.

Processed vs non-processed, calories vs mindful eating, etc etc...none of it will work until I solve the underlying problems. I think I understand the OP to a certain degree. She is just finding a way that will work for her and not push her over the edge. Whether I agree with her or not is irrelevant...whether she is right or wrong is something that she will have to figure out for herself.

• jenniday1229
    jenniday1229 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't actively tracked in over 6 months and kept a steady -1lb/wk loss the whole time. A combination of consistent workout schedule and learning what worked for my body made it possible. I just took 9 days off for vacation and I'm tracking this week just to get my head back in the game. I do think if my goals were more aggressive it would not have been possible to not track, but since I've focused on real lifestyle changes and fitness instead of losing as fast as possible it's been more manageable. -57lb over the last 11 months and probably another 20ish to go.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I built food logging into my life - I have been in sustainment for over 5 years with my weight the same plus or minus 3-4 lbs., so I could easily rationalize walking away from it. I continue because:

•Although I could ballpark everything and eat intuitively, but guesswork has failed the 70%+ of the US population who are overweight or obese.

•While I’m not generally concerned with my overall calories day to day, getting protein minimums and not going excessive on the sodium and sugar are also important to me. Even with 5+ years of food logging experience, there are times I don’t know with any reasonable degree of certainty how much protein, sodium, or sugar is in a meal.

•Food logging probably takes me 15 minutes per day – but if you consider that I multitask by entering food data while actually eating, eliminating it wouldn’t save me any time. I suppose it would free up 15 minutes to study quantum physics or Greek philosophy, but in reality, I would likely just use it to browse social media or check sports scores ;)

This is me, exactly, except that I have been maintaining for more than 8 years so far and it takes me less than 15 minutes a day - no worse than brushing and flossing, and I do that every day without complaint. I think I can take a few minutes to track my food, too...and like this guy, it's more than just calories I'm here for. I like to track my protein and fiber, too.

I'm not as exacting with my calorie counting these days. There's a bit of guesstimating, and I'm good at it by now, but staying aware of my intake has allowed me to literally stay at goal (between 132-137 pounds at 5'7") consistently for almost a decade now. And I'm middle-aged, which is a common excuse for people to let themselves go. Tracking makes it easy to lose and maintain, and it causes me zero emotional distress, so I'm gonna keep it up. B)