Switching to veggie for health benefits

Options

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to add that I never said it was impossible to be overweight/obese and vegetarian/vegan, so if that applies to you (some of you who replied) then sure, you're probably not lying - lol.

However, vegetarian and vegan food is by calorie/volume ratio lower than the standardised diet of a non-vegetarian person today. This is of course, assuming you know what you're doing and not living off of skittles (those are vegetarian right?) and whatnot. You can gain weight on any dietary preference, what I'm saying is that the average vegetarian/vegan has a lower body weight than the average omnivore. That doesn't mean all vegetarians/vegans are at a healthy weight, and I never claimed such things.

Whether this be due to an overall higher level of health awareness, I do not know. Could be. But even so, one has to start somewhere. So going vegetarian/vegan for health reasons is definitely not a bad thing by any means.

You stated that being vegetarian or vegan will "almost naturally create a calorie deficit." This isn't an accurate generalization. There are many, many high calorie foods that are vegetarian or vegan, and even if someone is eating mostly vegetables and meatless protein, it's still quite possible to wind up in a calorie surplus due to portion sizes. I've even seen some *very* calorie dense tempeh. For example, this one was sold locally where I used to live: https://www.smilingharatempeh.com/our-products/#soyfree (Yes, it's good; no, I didn't think it was worth 500-600 calories for a 4 ounce serving!)

The bottom line is that if you want to lose weight, there is no way of eating that will reliably create a calorie deficit without intentionally trying to create a deficit. If you are not trying to create a deficit, then you can overeat on a veg diet just as you can on a diet with animal products.

Again, go veg if your own preferences or morals lead you to do that. But don't assume that being veg will fix health problems or automatically cause weight loss.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Search for "whole food plant based" and you'll find diets that are extremely healthy and hard to overeat on, since highly processed foods are eliminated and replaced with healthy veggies and starches. One quick example: Oreos qualify as vegan, since they contain no meat, but they won't make the cut on a whole food plant based diet. I switched to WFPB and lost weight, even though I didn't need to, since WFPB allows a high volume of food and nutrients, but is low in calories. Use Dr Greger's Daily Dozen app to guide food choices and you'll become healthy and in a proper weight range without a lot of effort. And the beans and roughage will take care of any lazy bowel issues! I have ulcerative colitis, which has gone into remission, and my gastroenterologist was able to take me off the medication I have taken daily for 30 years. He says that's almost unheard of. My GP says I went from horrible (my word) labs on my old standard American diet to the best labs he has ever seen in his career at my checkup in January. I've currently reintroduced lean meats into my diet while I try to add some muscle mass, and may continue to eat some meat as I go forward, but I'm convinced that a whole food plant based diet is the healthiest option out there. I guess I'm now "Flexitarian" - meaning I eat mostly plant based but with some lean meats. YouTube has tons of good information on whole food plant based (and of course, some not so good). Give it a try for a few weeks and make your own judgement (I recommend that you consult your doctor, as I did when I embarked on WFPB).
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You said you restrict calories. This can do it. How many calories are you eating? How many meals a day are you eating?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Funny how I simply posted my experience and was woo'd. Didnt we just explain the nature of woo in another thread?!
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'd just like to add that I never said it was impossible to be overweight/obese and vegetarian/vegan, so if that applies to you (some of you who replied) then sure, you're probably not lying - lol.

However, vegetarian and vegan food is by calorie/volume ratio lower than the standardised diet of a non-vegetarian person today. This is of course, assuming you know what you're doing and not living off of skittles (those are vegetarian right?) and whatnot. You can gain weight on any dietary preference, what I'm saying is that the average vegetarian/vegan has a lower body weight than the average omnivore. That doesn't mean all vegetarians/vegans are at a healthy weight, and I never claimed such things.

Whether this be due to an overall higher level of health awareness, I do not know. Could be. But even so, one has to start somewhere. So going vegetarian/vegan for health reasons is definitely not a bad thing by any means.

What I've personally noticed with vegetarian friends is those who make their own meals and snacks tend to stay at a lower weight than those who eat a lot of pre-packaged ready to go items/meals/snacks. To me that would definitely suggest a difference in awareness. Most of the vegans I know are obese, but that did not used to be the norm.

*I know it's possible to eat anything and not be overweight. It's all about staying within calories. My observation is of people who are believing they have a superior diet while eating twice or more the calories they need.

As far as the main thread topic - A healthy diet isn't going to be defined the same for everyone. I have to have some red meat for iron levels. It is the only thing that works. Nothing plant based is very effective for me with iron. It would be quite unhealthy for me to be vegetarian/vegan. I love meat AND lots of plant based foods. A nice balance.

As far as lazy digestion issues, I would think increasing plant foods could help. And your comments about restricting foods makes me curious if you might restrict fat too much also. You need some fats to be healthy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Search for "whole food plant based" and you'll find diets that are extremely healthy and hard to overeat on, since highly processed foods are eliminated and replaced with healthy veggies and starches. One quick example: Oreos qualify as vegan, since they contain no meat, but they won't make the cut on a whole food plant based diet. I switched to WFPB and lost weight, even though I didn't need to, since WFPB allows a high volume of food and nutrients, but is low in calories. Use Dr Greger's Daily Dozen app to guide food choices and you'll become healthy and in a proper weight range without a lot of effort. And the beans and roughage will take care of any lazy bowel issues! I have ulcerative colitis, which has gone into remission, and my gastroenterologist was able to take me off the medication I have taken daily for 30 years. He says that's almost unheard of. My GP says I went from horrible (my word) labs on my old standard American diet to the best labs he has ever seen in his career at my checkup in January. I've currently reintroduced lean meats into my diet while I try to add some muscle mass, and may continue to eat some meat as I go forward, but I'm convinced that a whole food plant based diet is the healthiest option out there. I guess I'm now "Flexitarian" - meaning I eat mostly plant based but with some lean meats. YouTube has tons of good information on whole food plant based (and of course, some not so good). Give it a try for a few weeks and make your own judgement (I recommend that you consult your doctor, as I did when I embarked on WFPB).

You know what also qualifies as vegan? Pecans (which I sadly overate last week - 400 calories for what looked like a handful.)
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    You said you restrict calories. This can do it. How many calories are you eating? How many meals a day are you eating?

Well I use my Fitbit as a rough guidance to my daily calorie burn. I burn on average about 2000 calories per day, I try and eat about 1400-1500. I do wonder if the deficit is too large.

My weight is 120lb
    Height is 5ft 4

I am not overweight, so maybe the calorie deficit is too great ???
  • apullum
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    njitaliana wrote: »

Well I use my Fitbit as a rough guidance to my daily calorie burn. I burn on average about 2000 calories per day, I try and eat about 1400-1500. I do wonder if the deficit is too large.

My weight is 120lb
    Height is 5ft 4

I am not overweight, so maybe the calorie deficit is too great ???

Are you trying to lose weight? You're well within your optimal BMI range, so if you're restricting calories because you feel that you have too much body fat, I would recommend recomp instead of weight loss. Recomp involves eating at your TDEE and following a structured strength training program to build muscle and cut body fat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I get the feeling that you are considering "vegan foods" to be vegetables, which are hardly uniquely eaten by vegans and not the base of all vegan diets, and omnivore foods as, I dunno, Big Macs, which again are hardly the only form in which meat can be eaten.

So, you mentioned the difference being in protein sources. Just for numbers' sake.

Calories per 100 grams

Meat
    Chicken breast: 116
    Ground beef: 179
    Ground pork: 250

Common vegetarian options
    Tofu: 94
    Soy mince: 150*
    Oumph (That might be just a Swedish thing): 120*
    Quorn: 138
    Beans: 110*

Other potential candidates
    Eggs: 75
    Cheese: 286**

* Not found on USDA so I took numbers from the packaging.
    ** Cheese varies greatly, but I took the first hit on USDA website.

Okay, now let's add in protein:

Calories per 40 g protein:

Meat
    Chicken breast (skinless, boneless): 214 cal
    Ground beef (95% lean): 256 cal
    Pork tenderloin (I don't know why you'd include so many ground options): 208 cal

Common vegetarian options (yours seems more based on fake meat than my list would be, and I nixed the one I've never heard of)
    Tofu (I went with extra firm): 335 cal
    Soy mince: 402 cal
    Quorn: 760 cal (based on USDA ones branded, I don't eat this, so maybe there are better options)
    Beans: 619 cal (I did black beans)

Other potential candidates
    Eggs: 458
    Cheese (went with swiss): 586

I was just about to do this responding to the per 100 g of food post on the first second page of the thread, and thought, "you know, I should check the second third page of the thread in case someone has already done it." Thanks for saving me some time, @lemurcat2 .
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Are you trying to lose weight? You're well within your optimal BMI range, so if you're restricting calories because you feel that you have too much body fat, I would recommend recomp instead of weight loss. Recomp involves eating at your TDEE and following a structured strength training program to build muscle and cut body fat. [/quote]

ot31ah2smfqv.jpeg

This is a photo from 2 days ago. I just think maybe I should lose a bit more weight before building more muscle, but after reading some of the replies from this post I wonder if I should up my calories, particularly fat intake?

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Meat has quite a lot of calories, considering their portion sizes as well. Vegetarian "meat substitutes" are generally slightly lower in calories. Not by much, but a little bit.

As you can see, it's the opposite.
    Then there's things like cheese which is higher in calories - but most people are also aware that you can't stuff your face with cheese all the time - regardless of the diet of choice. Now if I were to take a normal plate of omnivore food and replace it with a vegetarian one, I wouldn't just remove the meat and add an equally big slab of cheese.

No, but if you cut cals by switching to lower fat meat options, using less fat in cooking other foods, and reducing the starchy side, and then cutting down on between meat snacks and desserts -- which are usually veg -- it's probably more efficient than simply replacing the steak and potatoes and broccoli cooked with fat with a big bowl of pasta and beans with some veg and cheese, veg cooked in olive oil. And I'm not knocking the latter, I eat stuff like that. I'm knocking the idea that merely cutting out meat = lower cals.
    So, maybe this is just a difference in where we're from. But where I'm from (in Sweden), going vegetarian or at least cutting down on eating meat is an official recommendation from registered dieticians when it comes to losing weight, and it has proven effective.

How have they shown it's effectiveness?

In the US, cutting down on meat is a recommendation for HEALTH, not weight loss, and I think it can be a good idea if you cut back on higher fat cuts of meat and, say, eat more beans and veg, but the adjustment to the diet can't merely be "cut back on meat."

I have seen no convincing evidence that no meat is better than some meat within the context of an overall healthy diet. And as I mentioned, for me, meat is actually helpful in weight loss/maintenance. (I kind of wish that weren't so, because I'm conflicted about meat eating to some degree, thus the back and forth between veg and not and the reason I always spend good bits of the year doing veg for one reason or another.)
    Vegetarians over here don't eat cheese any more often than omnivores.

I'm not talking about eating a big chunk of cheese, but using added cheese for flavor and to add some protein.

You also seem a lot more interested in meat subs than I am, as I just don't eat them. I will eat tofu and tempeh, but those are long traditional foods used in many cuisines. (I am not saying everyone should be like me or that this is anything more than personal preference.) I would have listed a bunch of different kinds of beans, tofu, chickpeas, peas, and the like as protein sources, and noted that they are often eaten along with other starchy carbs. The cals can add up easily, which is not to say that's a bad or unhealthy way of eating -- it's not. But it's not inherently low cal vs. meat eating.
    As for "you can't compare someone who's not paying attention to what they eat" - I never did. I've worked under the assumption that since OP is on MFP, they know at least a little something about what they're doing etc. Most people do have some sort of common sense, because most people (in most countries, not true for all) aren't obese.

You mentioned nutrition-conscious vegetarians and then compared them with the standard non veg diet, which is not nutrition-conscious.
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Because people lose weight I would presume.

Let's take a normal Swedish meal for example (I really do believe culture plays a part here)

150 grams of potato gratin: 213kcal
    150 grams of minced meat (for example meatballs): 273kcal
    Side salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, no dressing): ~50kcal (if even that)
    Total: 536 kcal

Making it vegetarian
    Tzay skewers (soy meat substitute): 160kcal
    Total: 423 kcal

This is how a majority of people (again, at least in Sweden) would go about when switching to a vegetarian diet, making substitutions for the meat with non-meat versions. Which would be why people lose weight and it's being recommended by dieticians.
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Add more fiber and water...for me, having a large spinach salad daily works great. You can add more fiber in different ways
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options

Let's take a normal Swedish meal for example (I really do believe culture plays a part here)

150 grams of minced meat (for example meatballs): 273kcal
    Total: 536 kcal

Making it vegetarian
    Tzay skewers (soy meat substitute): 160kcal
    Total: 423 kcal

This is how a majority of people (again, at least in Sweden) would go about when switching to a vegetarian diet, making substitutions for the meat with non-meat versions. Which would be why people lose weight and it's being recommended by dieticians.

So lowball the protein content? I know I'm just expressing a crazy USAian thought here, but no, thank you.

I'm shooting for 100g protein daily, so 30g+ per meal. Your menu won't get me there.

Repeating myself for clarity: I'm vegetarian. And adding: Have been for 45 years.

You previously wrote:
    I've worked under the assumption that since OP is on MFP, they know at least a little something about what they're doing etc.

Not implying any criticism of OP at all, but I wouldn't assume a non-vegetarian is knowledgeable about vegetarian nutrition. Surprisingly, sometimes even vegetarians aren't.
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So lowball the protein content? I know I'm just expressing a crazy USAian thought here, but no, thank you.

According to our recommendations you will get enough protein if you eat a balanced diet and unless you're a body builder you will probably be just fine.

But really, it all comes down to a difference of opinion and I can appreciate what you're saying without agreeing with it.
  • apullum
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »

ot31ah2smfqv.jpeg

This is a photo from 2 days ago. I just think maybe I should lose a bit more weight before building more muscle, but after reading some of the replies from this post I wonder if I should up my calories, particularly fat intake?

You don't sound like you have a medical reason to lose more weight, and increasing your calories may benefit you. I'd therefore recommend eating at maintenance, paying particular attention to your fat and fiber intake, and starting a strength training program.

Fiber is a weird thing because constipation can be caused by too little fiber, but also by quickly increasing fiber. I would check with your doctor about what is an appropriate fiber intake for your medical needs, and then slowly increase to that amount if it turns out that you aren't getting enough.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

According to our recommendations you will get enough protein if you eat a balanced diet and unless you're a body builder you will probably be just fine.

But really, it all comes down to a difference of opinion and I can appreciate what you're saying without agreeing with it.

I think the part you are not really grasping is the point I tried to make earlier today. It is not a switch that just anyone can flip easily. If it is not easy it might challenge adherence and impede weight loss.

It would probably be in my wheelhouse to transition to vegetarianism. I know my way around plant based proteins, I have meatless days on a regular basis because I like the variety, and I am a good cook. I am not going to do it though because it is too much of a change for me. As much as I love fish and I get most of amount of my non pb protein there I am not even willing to risk going full pescatarian. The reason is my health. I still have a lot of weight to lose and that is my number 1 priority. I am sticking with what is easiest for me and what is easiest is having most of the menu available to me.

I am already in better health and it will continue to improve on the road I am on. I don't need to throw in any extra rules or requirements.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Then please cite a source.