Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Wahoo to new habits and new identities.
    Been going through cupboard boxes and discarding and have me eyes on a little dresser to do today.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    lalabank wrote: »
    Last Friday I spent about two hours going through closets and cabinets, just a quick run through of the entire house. Saturday was the first really warm day of the year and I was the only yardsale in town! I made $250 on my impromptu sale. Almost nothing came back in because everyone loves a free pile.
    I went deep into a stack of wooden boxes that I wanted to get rid of but were filled with keepsakes paper. For years I had thought the contents were sacred memories but I realized 90% was just crap I never looked at.

That’s really great! Good job on the papers and the garage sale, I like your idea about having a free pile for the stuff that doesn’t sell.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Last Friday I spent about two hours going through closets and cabinets, just a quick run through of the entire house. Saturday was the first really warm day of the year and I was the only yardsale in town! I made $250 on my impromptu sale. Almost nothing came back in because everyone loves a free pile.
    I went deep into a stack of wooden boxes that I wanted to get rid of but were filled with keepsakes paper. For years I had thought the contents were sacred memories but I realized 90% was just crap I never looked at.

WOW--just utterly and absolute WOW!!!!! What you've written here is FIRE. I can't thank you enough for posting. So thrilled and may EVERYONE that reads your words be filled with encouragement, joy and inspiration. You ROCK, period. Girlfriend, what you've experienced is sheer FREEDOM and TRUTH. I LOVE how you said that you "REAL"ized that 90% was just "crap" you never looked at. WOW! {{{{ o:) Hugs and the Highest of Fives <3 }}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited April 2019
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Hey all! Just thought I'd see how everyone is doing. Its been hectic here, hoping to get back to decluttering tomorrow. Hope you guys are doing ok!

Hi Snoo~
    Thanks so much for asking. It's been hectic here too, but it's all good. As they say working hard keeps you young and outta trouble! It's amazing how lovely everything is looking outside, another spring is upon us. What else is amazing is how many WEEDS are sprouting up with the lovely flowers. Here's the the "hard extra work (N.E.A.T. exercising) of pulling a million weeds. Well, maybe not a million, just 100,000 :D
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited April 2019
    Orphia wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

Gossip! Definitely something to let go of!

It makes you feel bad when you do it, and can come back and make you feel bad again and again.

One of my "Absolute Nos" now.

Girlfriend, GIRLFRIEND...that gossiping is something I've been "LETTING IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK" and I am feeling so much more empowered and "aware" now. That "business" of gossiping is is truly a foul business. What's also eye opening is the old saying our parents/grandparents used to try to drill in our skulls: If you or someone is "talking about others behind their backs--they'll talk about YOU as well. What an eye-opening truth that is. Oh how I used to think my parents/elders were some crazy old koots, but they truly KNEW what they were talking/advising us about 100% FOR SURE!

Utterly amazing how I didn't learn this lesson much earlier in life, but better late than never I always say! Complaining ALL the time is also another thing/way I'm purposely am avoiding like the plague. Dear GOD, who knew how/truly understands="finally GET's IT"/believes how " foolish/wicked/time consuming/UNNECESSARY and energy draining, counter-productive/DESTRUCTIVE and YUCK" complaining (and especially) ALL the time is--what I'm doing in that department is if someone/something isn't doing what I want...DO IT MYSELF, and with JOY, and/or deal with yuck in not allowing myself to get/be offended and purposely not taking it personal period. Seriously that gossiping and complaining is the stuff DEATH is made of. This "business" of living in the moment is so FREEING too--just LIFE! Lastly pleasing others, living for the opinions and approval of others is a bottomless pit. The answer is NO to trying to please others, ever again.

That Swedish "death" cleaning AND the much like it "Nesting" when about to give birth is REAL. {{{Hugs}}} to you and your beautiful mom. Thanks so much for helping her, you ROCK!
  • cory17

What a great job! You were fast and effective! And not bringing back in what was left is a game changer.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Hope everyone had a happy Easter!
  • snoo61
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

It makes you feel bad when you do it, and can come back and make you feel bad again and again.

Girlfriend, GIRLFRIEND...that gossiping is something I've been "LETTING IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK" and I am feeling so much more empowered and "aware" now. That "business" of gossiping is is truly a foul business. What's also eye opening is the old saying our parents/grandparents used to try to drill in our skulls: If you or someone is "talking about others behind their backs--they'll talk about YOU as well. What an eye-opening truth that is. Oh how I used to think my parents/elders were some crazy old koots, but they truly KNEW what they were talking/advising us about 100% FOR SURE!

Utterly amazing how I didn't learn this lesson much earlier in life, but better late than never I always say! Complaining ALL the time is also another thing/way I'm purposely am avoiding like the plague. Dear GOD, who knew how/truly understands="finally GET's IT"/believes how " foolish/wicked/time consuming/UNNECESSARY and energy draining, counter-productive/DESTRUCTIVE and YUCK" complaining (and especially) ALL the time is--what I'm doing in that department is if someone/something isn't doing what I want...DO IT MYSELF, and with JOY, and/or deal with yuck in not allowing myself to get/be offended and purposely not taking it personal period. Seriously that gossiping and complaining is the stuff DEATH is made of. This "business" of living in the moment is so FREEING too--just LIFE! Lastly pleasing others, living for the opinions and approval of others is a bottomless pit. The answer is NO to trying to please others, ever again.

That Swedish "death" cleaning AND the much like it "Nesting" when about to give birth is REAL. {{{Hugs}}} to you and your beautiful mom. Thanks so much for helping her, you ROCK!

I have also been fighting the Complaining mindset! I have been trying to point out the things that I appreciate instead, every day. Note the word trying....I'm getting better, but not there yet.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited April 2019
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

I have also been fighting the Complaining mindset! I have been trying to point out the things that I appreciate instead, every day. Note the word trying....I'm getting better, but not there yet.

Snoo, girl...you've hit it right on the head...dead center--it absolutely is a "mind-set" for sure, one that very much like decluttering, as we begin to purposely "see" the mess/yuck (beginning in our thoughts) and LET IT GO and DON'T LOOK BACK,(adding) EVAH! Much, so much like decluttering, once you chose and become utterly DETERMINED to no longer allow this kind of YUCK (gossiping, COMPLAINING (all the blasted time) and I'm gonna add taking stuff all personal and "allowing" yourself to be/become offended for/about ANYTHING anymore...BOOM, it's goes/flees and slowly but surely doesn't come back into your heart and mind and again, like decluttering you'll soon find yourself never even missing that "stuff/mess.mind-set" at all. It's amazing how the "mess" we allow becomes virtually non-existent when we choose to NOT ALLOW IT PLACE in our hearts and minds. What I do is REPLACE the complaining with what you've so wisely and super cooly suggest:
    I have been trying to point out the things that I appreciate instead, every day.

Example Somebody (you love, can't stand, like, don't know, whatever) insults you, ignores you, doesn't respond to you the way you'd like--instead of getting all mad, sad or feeling bad...you can look at it this way:
    "THANK YOU GOD ALMIGHTY" for showing me who or what this person, place or thing truly is. Thank you for not allowing me to be deceived nor deceive myself about this person, place or thing another second. YAY, I get to (not have to, but "GET TO" NO no longer give them a place of "esteem/honor/value" in my heart and head. YAY, I don't have to stoop to their level of yuck, I just will be my kind and powerful self and not dare feel sorry for them nor myself, accept things for what they are and move on, because I have a LIFE now and I'm going to live it in joy, power and BOOM! Stuff like that. None of this "pretend" stuff didn't/isn't happening. Roll with it like a "boss/master" instead of helpless victim/slave. Again, BOOM!!!!!

Also, another benefit it to forsaking and having nothing whatsoever to do with complaining/gossiping/having pity-parties anymore is how much "lighter" you'll feel, physically too. I LOVE that I'm talking from personal experience, not some wishful thinking. Like decluterring and weight blastification, we didn't get all naggy and complainy and sorry for ourselves overnight--it took us YEARS to become who/what we are and how we live, think and move. It's going to take TIME and will work in TIME too. For some, these fabulous lifestyle changes will happen sooner, for other, later--but as you "try" and DO/PRACTICE this way of thinking and living every day, that CHANGE/FREEDOM will come and STAY, I promise!!!!!!
  • snoo61
    Well, I've flat lined for the last couple days. I'm getting my daily stuff done, but keep getting interrupted, so nothing extra gets done.
    Having hubby take his boxes back out, nice weather means he doesn't have time.
    Hopefully he'll bring others in for me to go through. Then I'll feel like I'm accomplishing something and get back in gear!
  • snoo61
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

Snoo, girl...you've hit it right on the head...dead center--it absolutely is a "mind-set" for sure, one that very much like decluttering, as we begin to purposely "see" the mess/yuck (beginning in our thoughts) and LET IT GO and DON'T LOOK BACK,(adding) EVAH! Much, so much like decluttering, once you chose and become utterly DETERMINED to no longer allow this kind of YUCK (gossiping, COMPLAINING (all the blasted time) and I'm gonna add taking stuff all personal and "allowing" yourself to be/become offended for/about ANYTHING anymore...BOOM, it's goes/flees and slowly but surely doesn't come back into your heart and mind and again, like decluttering you'll soon find yourself never even missing that "stuff/mess.mind-set" at all. It's amazing how the "mess" we allow becomes virtually non-existent when we choose to NOT ALLOW IT PLACE in our hearts and minds. What I do is REPLACE the complaining with what you've so wisely and super cooly suggest:
    I have been trying to point out the things that I appreciate instead, every day.

Example Somebody (you love, can't stand, like, don't know, whatever) insults you, ignores you, doesn't respond to you the way you'd like--instead of getting all mad, sad or feeling bad...you can look at it this way:
    "THANK YOU GOD ALMIGHTY" for showing me who or what this person, place or thing truly is. Thank you for not allowing me to be deceived nor deceive myself about this person, place or thing another second. YAY, I get to (not have to, but "GET TO" NO no longer give them a place of "esteem/honor/value" in my heart and head. YAY, I don't have to stoop to their level of yuck, I just will be my kind and powerful self and not dare feel sorry for them nor myself, accept things for what they are and move on, because I have a LIFE now and I'm going to live it in joy, power and BOOM! Stuff like that. None of this "pretend" stuff didn't/isn't happening. Roll with it like a "boss/master" instead of helpless victim/slave. Again, BOOM!!!!!

Also, another benefit it to forsaking and having nothing whatsoever to do with complaining/gossiping/having pity-parties anymore is how much "lighter" you'll feel, physically too. I LOVE that I'm talking from personal experience, not some wishful thinking. Like decluterring and weight blastification, we didn't get all naggy and complainy and sorry for ourselves overnight--it took us YEARS to become who/what we are and how we live, think and move. It's going to take TIME and will work in TIME too. For some, these fabulous lifestyle changes will happen sooner, for other, later--but as you "try" and DO/PRACTICE this way of thinking and living every day, that CHANGE/FREEDOM will come and STAY, I promise!!!!!!

Girlfriend you are so right! Life is so much better when you fight off the "gloom and doom" attitude! I'm still fighting, but things are better every day. Now to get my butt back in gear. 😆
  • snoo61
    I emptied a box today. Have another one to do tomorrow, then more can come in. Found more castle stuff, a bit worse for wear, but fixable. I'm going to need a bigger tote, if I find more!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited April 2019
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

Girlfriend you are so right! Life is so much better when you fight off the "gloom and doom" attitude! I'm still fighting, but things are better every day. Now to get my butt back in gear. 😆

{{{{{{{{{ <3 LOVE you Snoo! <3 }}}}}}}}}}} You are so right, period. Blast that "gloom and doom" spirit/attitude/way of thinking and living--blast it forever more. What I find myself asking myself when that "spirit" tries to overtake/ensnare/tempt/ENTERTAIN me is:
    NO! I don't have to think/operate this way, why???? Because it's NOT NECESSARY--is UNNECCESSARY, period. I find myself telling myself this (it's NOT NECCESSARY/UNNECCESARY) a lot and it wards off that yuck, with the quickness.

I emptied a box today. Have another one to do tomorrow, then more can come in. Found more castle stuff, a bit worse for wear, but fixable. I'm going to need a bigger tote, if I find more!

YAY YOU--keep up the terrific way of living, thinking and DOING.

On the jewelry decluttering and "LET IT GO and DON'T LOOK BACK" front... Wow, who knew there were such cute and practical jewelry organizers, mission finally accomplished on that front. I got some DARLING organizers and everything is oh so very neat and pretty and practical--I love it. I gave away a lot too, and people were so appreciative, it made me so glad and full of JOY to bless others and get rid of a LOT of "UNNECCESSARY" stuff....super YAY!!! The perfume front, not so much final success, but slow and steady wins the race as I always say.
  • snoo61
    daklock wrote: »
    I've been stalking this group for a while. I lost some pounds, so I tried on some clothes that were stored away (from when I was briefly this weight a few years ago. They're pretty basic so still look in style.) Then I took some of the clothes that are now too big for me, and donated them to my mom and shortened them for her. She was happy to have some new slacks and tops, and I'm happy they are gone from my closet. A win for both of us.

Congratulations! My daughter and I trade clothes often, saves so much money, and its nice to add something different to your wardrobe. I have to do my spring "closet declutter", which includes drawers, soon.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Great job!
  • cory17
    wow newlifestyle - you are incredible!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Great job!

How very kind of you...you ROCK, period. o:)<3o:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!