WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Hello Friends and thank you all for your concern about my sprained ankles. The 6.5 hour drive wasn't the best therapy, but at least with cruise control I was able to periodically bend and stretch my legs and feet. Once home, I started RICE, plus Aleve, plus soaking in epsom salt, plus applications of arnica gel and light stretching. I used a Reiki guided meditation, have stayed in bed for 23 hours a day, only getting up to use the bathroom and to make DH a simple meal. Today, I can report that both feet and ankles have decreased from the size of oranges to moderately swollen. The pain is down from a tear-inducing 8 to a 4. DH has a hard time understanding why we are not picking up Mars the Leash Loving Cat from the pet hotel, and his dementia has been more pronounced since we got home. He didn't know where he was for the first 12 hours we were back. In my present situation, I can't really take good care of both of them, so for now, Mars will hang out a few more days in his comfy cottage looking out the window at animals and people. He's a mellow fellow and loves the extra attention he gets from strangers.

I will get myself an appointment for xrays this coming week, as an inner voice is telling me the left foot may be fractured. Hope not. I've had lots of ankle sprains, mostly from hiking and tennis, so for a long time have kept up the exercises and alphabet in the air stretches physical therapists taught me. This injury feels different, and somewhere in this experience there is some kind of lesson for me.

Lisa: You traveled with a carnival???? Would love to hear more about that!

Energy and hugs to all who need them to heal, to pack, to exercise, to manage your food cravings and to maintain your radiant good health.

Rori
    back home
    Colorado Foothills

I hope things improve quickly for you. Do get that X-ray.

My husband's short term memory gets more muddled when he's feeling stressed, so I understand. :heart:

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Heather, 10k seems very impressive to me. I did a women’s 6K in a women's race a few years go.

Here is a question, for any who wish to answer:

What do you set mfp at for base calories, to be able to lose weight?
    (of course it depends partly on size, i’m 5’2”)

Do you adjust "calories burnt" ?

I just realized that mfp’s calculation for calories burnt during exercise is too high for me.
    I read: “the calorie goals we calculate for you are based on statistical average”
    When I went to another site, which takes into account height, age, gender, and weight, I burned about 100 calories less than mfp had me at yesterday.
    (mfp had me at 554 calories for 1h30 of exercise – elliptical, weight training, and steps). 454 still seems high to me.
    So I guess one solution would be to reduce the net calories setting on MFP by 100 to aim for an overall balance.

What do you think?

net average daily calories per day this past weekend according to mfp 1450
    weight up 4 lbs in three days according to scale.
    highest weight in 30+ years, even higher than 2 days ago when I joined you : 0.9 lbs up.
    BMI 24.8

Yesterday according to mfp my net calories was 1290.

Regarding exercise calories, when I'm on a mission to lose weight, I choose the light, low, slow options and then eat about half my exercise calories back.

That seems to work for me.

M in Oz

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Banana - You can adjust your calories if you feel the burn is too high. I tend to just not eat back exercise calories for non strenuous exercise, and then only part of them for strenuous exercise. It is certainly a learning process. You will find what works for you. As for gaining weight, I can gain 3 or more pounds if I eat a salty meal. It goes away over the next couple/few days when I get back to my normal eating plan. It isn't fat gain, it is water. It can fluctuate for many reasons, exercise, sodium, sunburn, time of month, etc. Hang in there and vent to us when you need to. We are here to listen.

Kate UK - Love your socks! Great work!!

NYKAREN - Yeah for you and hubs going and participating at the party! Great job!!

Lisa - Great job on getting your March weight off so quickly!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Today my older son (physically disabled) will be moving from his rental/self-directed living arrangement into a NY certified housing arrangement (actually his old apartment that was renovated to meet fire/safety codes). He will still be responsible for his rent as he is a self-payee, but he will lose some autonomy with this move. We are all feeling a little anxious about it as it involves a lot of new people who know nothing about his needs save for a few hours of training that I tried to assist with. To add to the commotion, as soon as he is settled this morning, I have to hit the road to get younger son out of his dorm. Will be out of town for 3 days. Horrible timing but I'll be available through email, texts, whatever is needed.

Karen VA ... yay for new babies!!

Felicia ... your son and his partner look very happy!

Lisa!... the carnival!! Oh, the strange things we get ourselves into!! B)

Beth
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    📙Accountability post for Sunday, April 28th
    ✔1. Carbs 50g max with no more than 25g per meal. (42g)
    ✔2. Fiber 25g. (27g)
    ✔️3. Track in MFP. Complete the entry daily.
    ✔️4. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes (39 Active minutes).
    ✔5. No eating after 9pm.
    ✔6. In bed by midnight.

• Overall Feeling. Really good again today - Sunday.
    • Exercise. Made a point to get it earlier.
    • Eating deadline. Finished early. Cuppa hot tea and dark chocolate square - after supper. Then one more glass of water with night meds.
    • Bedtime-Sleep Hygiene. I got into bed by midnight.
    • Bright Spot today. I cleaned carpet and washed walls in the living room yesterday. Today I really admired my work.
    • Today I’m grateful for:
    1. Good sleep again Saturday night.
    2. The "Relax" function on my Fitbit HR. There's a 2 minute session and a 5 minute session. Biofeedback.
    3. My knee is feeling pretty good. Yay!
    4. The DEA take back program yesterday. I was able to get rid of some prescription meds that were long expired and unneeded.
    5. Another beautiful day. I was able to get out for a little walk today.

Melatonin on board. Headed to bed.
    -- Ginger in Texas
    mn5rbnwdhjdn.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kate UK for that suggestion of the D Mannose. I've ordered some from Amazon. Not cheap!

The saga of me trying to get an appointment for my UTI is long and boring. I have written a complaining review online. I still have to wait until 4.30 to pick up the prescription. Doctors are free over here, but getting to one is an obstacle race that is frustrating to say the least. Especially on a Monday morning. I am miserable and in pain.
    DH has gone out for a walk. We need to go to a big supermarket. He is reluctant. I am fed up with my UTI. I want to get a battery for my watch. Grrrrrrrrrr! Feel like crying.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    :)Felicia, Your son and partner look happy together. I seem to remember a photo of them last year, too.

:)Kate, great socks. I knit a pair of socks once and liked how they looked but didn't like how they felt on my feet so I went back to my "store-bought" socks.

:)Banana, you can adjust your base calories down. I have to eat some of my exercise calories because I am so active. If not, I'd have no energy for the things I do. I wore a heart rate monitor when I exercised for about a year and got a good approximation of calories burned for the exercise I do. I don't use the HRM now, but I use the data I got for the exercise. If you look at my exercise diary, you can see that I created my own exercise names and set the calorie burn that is true for me.

:) Today is haircut day so I have to cut dog walking short because Jake likes to get there early.

<3 Barbie in beautiful sunny NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
    yxgu7bdppatl.jpeg
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,372 Member
    Options
    Kate - so proud of you knitting those socks! And great photo of you & your DH & the roses. I've never heard of D-Mannitol for UTI. Just looked it up on Amazon - wow, it's popular.

Rori - please tell us you have someone who can drive you in case of emergencies and someone who can come in a do so short-term caregiving/shopping/meal prep if you aren't able to be mobile for a little bit.

Lisa - loved hearing about your carnival stint. Neat to remember our crazy experiences that make us who we are today. When I'm tempted to criticize things kids are doing these days, I think back to the terror I put my own parent's through during my teens and early 20's, lol.

Still reading "Women Rowing North". It's the type of book to read a few pages at a time, then let it digest. She covers many of the experiences and challenges we in this group are dealing with right now. Or have dealt with or will deal with. Her voice kind of reminds me of our Barbie! I keep thinking, "this is what Barbie would say."

The book has a chapter near the front called "The Worn Body." Boy, I'll say. I've come to the realization that many of the physically active things I wanted to do when I retired aren't in the plan anymore. I can't and will never run marathons, but that's OK. I can still do some morning stretches, and walk, and safely lift weights per the Strong Women Stay Young program. And when I walk, my foot might hurt at times. So I'll just keep walking, lol.

I can slow down and enjoy my garden projects. Weed one section at a time, not the whole flowerbed at once.

No more rushing through life. Focus on gratitude for what I can do today.

Before I close, I wanted to share this short Youtube video called "Healthy at 90 - Exercises and Health tips". Helen Kranz's morning workout puts me to shame, lol. Interesting that both of these women started stretches and walking on the treadmill in their later years. And they eat like farm wives with plenty of dairy. Reminds me of my grandmothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN0koU8JUVA

Make it a good day ladies!

Lanette
    Frosty & Sunny SW WA State
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    HEATHER and LANETTE
    D-Mannose certainly isn't cheap and consultant said take 200mg a day but I take 150mg just to keep cost down a bit seems to be working anyway she also said take probiotic daily as bacteria from the gut can cause cross contamination
    Hope you feel better soon Heather

Kate UK <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Lanette ~ That was an excellent video!

Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,372 Member
    Options
    Ladies - do any of you have morning stretch/exercise routines you do before you start your day? If so, what do you do? I'm looking for more ideas. <3B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Ladies - do any of you have morning stretch/exercise routines you do before you start your day? If so, what do you do? I'm looking for more ideas. <3B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

Does 'sprint for the bus' count?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: Congrats on the news of an upcoming grandbaby for your partner’s son and wife. :bigsmile:

Kim: I love being settled, too. The kids would like us to live near them. I’d like them to live near us. We’re settled and happy and don’t plan to make a move. I’ve got serious intentions of visiting, though. :smiley:

Lenora: I am so happy that you’re posting again!!! Sorry that your washer ruined the cabinets. I hope you will love the replacements. :star:

Felicia and Rebecca: We have umbrellas—somewhere. Using them here is usually not productive because we are in a windy spot where we get wet with or without an umbrella and don’t like to fight the wind with one up. :ohwell:

Bananasandoranges: I let MFP set my calorie goals. They start with how much you weigh at the beginning and reduce your allowed calories as you lose weight. It works very well but is not a speedy process. In this situation the tortoise wins the race :bigsmile:

Kate UK: Congrats on living in your home for so many years. We lived in a rental as newlyweds and then bought our first home. We’d still be living in it, but DH had to move for employment. We moved again because we wanted to live beside the river. This is the third home we’ve owned in 49 years. :star:

Rori: The X-ray is a good idea. You need to know your “enemy” in order to defeat it. :heart:

Machka: Your glasses are becoming and really seem to suit you. I’ve had progressive glasses that change color for years and absolutely love them. I suspect you’ll love yours, too. :bigsmile:

(((Heather))): I hope you’re feeling better soon. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: These women are amazing! Thank you for sharing their video. I want to grow up to be like them. :smiley:

Yoga today! Yay!!! I go in early and burn some calories on an exercise bike and then stretch out with yoga. It is a habit that has done wonders for me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,776 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I just watched that video, I want to be them when I grow up.

I like the exercises she does in bed. I’m going to try to incorporate those.
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Lisa V - You may need to change the intensity of your exercise. Your body adapts so you constantly have to change it up. I usually walk on a treadmill so I play with the incline, or I do 5 minutes at my usual pace and 2 minutes slightly faster and back to my original pace, then up it again. It alters the intensity which increases fat burning. At least that's what the trainer told me. Also, 1 to 2 pounds a week is where you want to be. The big loss the first week is largely water.

I survived theater week. My daughter survived theater week without getting blisters from her pointe shoes. Hopefully I'll get some pictures soon.

Connie in KY
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

Lanette
    SW WA State

petting-poodle-smiley-emoticon.gif I get dressed and walk the dogs for 30-40 minutes.