Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL that pineapples were so rare a sight in the 1700's they were a symbol of wealth. The few that were cultivated in hothouses were worth about five thousand pounds ($8000) each. They weren't eaten, but were rented out by the aristocracy as a table centerpiece at dinner parties.
  • cee134
    Options
    Einstein failing a math exam is a myth (already knew that part). However TIL Einstein failed the entrance exam to Zurich Polytechnic because he did poorly on botany, zoology and language sections.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL That Elvis Presley's manager sold "I Hate Elvis" badges as a way to make money from people who weren't buying Elvis merchandise.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that a cafe in Japan is hiring paralyzed people to to control robot servers in order to still make an income.

npei7as1udae.png

https://nextshark.com/japan-cafe-paralyzed-robot-servers/
  • deadpheonixrising
    deadpheonixrising Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That the eyeliner pencil I've been using is actually a lip pencil. Not earth shattering but...🤷‍♀️
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that pencils are yellow because in the 19th century, the best graphite came from China. Because yellow was a royal color in China, pencil companies began to color their pencils yellow to show both high quality and an association with China.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL all the numbers on the roulette wheel add up to 666.
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    TIL that even when that line is sharp and not blurry at all, people still cross it..
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL King Frederick II used reverse psychology on his peasants who refused to eat potatoes because they tasted horrible. To stop the food famine he sent his guards to guard fields of potatoes and the peasants started stealing them and growing their own.
  • jckgmz
    jckgmz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I learned that some of my past was a lie and no matter how much I miss it and want to hold on to good memories it doesn't make them real...
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL the oldest living human-planted tree in the world with a known planting date is the sacred fig tree "Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi", planted in 288 BC.

40724amkdhe4.jpg
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I refuse to learn anything today
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that the churches and community buildings in my area no longer loan out their folding chairs, and they won't rent them out either :s
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    NotSo_LittleRichard Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL the oldest living human-planted tree in the world with a known planting date is the sacred fig tree "Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi", planted in 288 BC.

40724amkdhe4.jpg

they had cameras in 288BC
  • cee134
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

40724amkdhe4.jpg

they had cameras in 288BC

no
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    TIL that the Pistons were the winner of both the lowest scoring (19-18 in 1950) and highest scoring (186-184 in 1983) games in NBA history (although they were located in Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1950).
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Some things come in XXXXXL
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Did you stop by the big and tall store today?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

He needed to pick up some gray sweatpants.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

He needed to pick up some gray sweatpants.

Someone else should have put on 2 pair.