Mentally Exhausted

Options

Replies

• anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has already said it so wonderfully, but it truly does get better. I sort of link my hunger issues with my anxiety issues - I try to focus on my coping skills when either gets bad. Try to distract yourself, make sure to keep around things you enjoy. It also helps to make what is available food-wise healthier options. I have found the more I rely on those choices, the more I crave it over unhealthy things.

Stay strong, you've got this!
  • Krisydee
    Krisydee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    This thread is exhausting.

Than don't read it lol
  • Krisydee
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »
    Everyone else has already said it so wonderfully, but it truly does get better. I sort of link my hunger issues with my anxiety issues - I try to focus on my coping skills when either gets bad. Try to distract yourself, make sure to keep around things you enjoy. It also helps to make what is available food-wise healthier options. I have found the more I rely on those choices, the more I crave it over unhealthy things.

Stay strong, you've got this!

Thank you :) I will try and put all this advice into practice :)
  • tturner0824
    tturner0824 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I finally lost some weight and now its a battle of i want to eat what i used to but i still have more wight to loose. Its a constant struggle but for me it helps having some support. Feel free to message me
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The problem is that trying to eat different or less and tracking everything makes you think about food ALL the time so you can go a bit food crazy some times with it on your mind non stop.
    After so long I see I have calories leftover in the diary and you just find yourself thinking you can eat more because there's calories left.
    If you're genuinely hungry then eat, but just be careful what you're eating and drink a glass of water to make sure it's not thirst which also gives you the wrong messages of hunger instead of thirst.
    Give yourself a evening cut off time where you must not eat anymore.
    Mines 9pm.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are having to come back after an accident. Gaining weight because of enforced immobility of some kind is so hard, may be because of background frustration from letting the situation get away from you in the first place, back when you needed to eat to ensure adequate proteins and essential elements in a good quantity to aid your recovery. Please do not be hard on yourself. May be, if going into maintenance to be able to take a breather and set up your past coping strategies is not what you want to do could you perhaps reduce your target each week, even setting and keeping to 1lb, even 1/2 a lb would still be progress but could give you the space to be kind to yourself. Primarily, take care of yourself properly, for you.
  • Krisydee
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you are having to come back after an accident. Gaining weight because of enforced immobility of some kind is so hard, may be because of background frustration from letting the situation get away from you in the first place, back when you needed to eat to ensure adequate proteins and essential elements in a good quantity to aid your recovery. Please do not be hard on yourself. May be, if going into maintenance to be able to take a breather and set up your past coping strategies is not what you want to do could you perhaps reduce your target each week, even setting and keeping to 1lb, even 1/2 a lb would still be progress but could give you the space to be kind to yourself. Primarily, take care of yourself properly, for you.

Well I had some beers over the weekend but back at it hard tomorrow. Thank you for your kind words and advice :)
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Krisydee wrote: »
    I think the worst part about trying to lose weight is the constant battle inside your head. I feel like I have a split personality and it scares me. I will literally lay in bed at night and convince myself not to go to the fridge. All day I'm constantly fighting with myself it shouldn't be this exhausting. I want to so bad and I am so good when it comes to setting my mind to it. I can actually do it but in the beginning it is all mine games Within Myself. It is scary and frustrating and I feel so emotionally drained by the end of the day. Does anybody else feel this way? Any advice? Or if you just want to rant about what I just said or relate to what I just said. Rant over

Sounds like you may have an anxiety problem. Try some meditation, mindfulness exercises. Easier said than done but try to remember that thoughts don't equal reality.

If you're really struggling consider seeing your dr who might be able to help.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm late to this discussion. I hope you are still here, OP.

Your comments really hit home for me because I know someone who says those same sorts of things. I have to confess that I don't completely understand. It seemed like she blamed the food for making her love it. Or blamed the producers of food for conspiring to addict her to it. Or blamed herself for... something, I don't really know what. Either way she gets obsessed with food day and night and is in despair that she can ever lose weight. It hurts my heart to see her so unhappy.

What I suggested was to not even try to cut back on anything, but to just log it in her food diary here for a week or so. Then when she was in a better frame of mind look at it and see if there was some little thing she could change. No, she could not because simply paying enough attention to her eating to be able to estimate it and log it makes her miserable.

So I then suggested she simply stop trying to lose weight for now or forever. It's not as if she is massively over weight. She thinks she needs to lose 50 lbs but she is by no means unhealthy or unattractive. No,my suggestion won't work because she hates the way she looks.

Now, I don't offer any comments on the subject even if she brings it up. I too have weight to lose and a tendency to binge on sweets and make stupid choices (ice cream for lunch) but I'm managing to slowly lose weight anyway. So slowly in fact that I don't think she has noticed.

I'm thinking she is someone who should find a method other than calorie counting. But perhaps I'm just fundamentally not getting what her struggle is really about.

• IMNOTHERE2HOOKUP2019
    IMNOTHERE2HOOKUP2019 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Krisydee wrote: »
    I think the worst part about trying to lose weight is the constant battle inside your head. I feel like I have a split personality and it scares me. I will literally lay in bed at night and convince myself not to go to the fridge. All day I'm constantly fighting with myself it shouldn't be this exhausting. I want to so bad and I am so good when it comes to setting my mind to it. I can actually do it but in the beginning it is all mine games Within Myself. It is scary and frustrating and I feel so emotionally drained by the end of the day. Does anybody else feel this way? Any advice? Or if you just want to rant about what I just said or relate to what I just said. Rant over

YES!!!! EVERY DAY IS INDEED A BATTLE...
    Things that may hell a bit include...
    Meditation

Walking meditation

Journaling-write out your anger and frustration...I CURSE..draw crazy pics...add pics of my ideal body, home...etc.

MOST IMPORTANTLY👉Plan tomorrow out today...and by that I mean figure out TONIGHT what you will do TOMORROW, hour by hour, so you are not spending the day trying to figure out what to do with your time OTHER than think about food...STAYING BUSY IS KEY!!
    Hope this helps...rooting for ya!
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I know it is hard. Keep going. You can do this!

My suggestion is to eat. Really. When you want to eat, eat. But of course don't eat all the bad things. Eat something high in fiber so it fills your belly, even if it makes you go over a bit. It's more important to address this hunger so you can be successful in the long term than it is to be very strict about your calories.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It really can feel overwhelming at times, I agree. What helped me is to make one small change at a time, so:
    - Just simply track everything for the first week. Not putting pressure on myself to hit any calorie goal; just building the habit
    - Start trying to hit the calorie goal, but without focusing on the nutrition of it.
    - Then start tweaking the nutrition
    - Add a bit of light, pleasurable exercsie 3 times a week for like 20 minutes.
    - Gradually increase the intensity or duration.

During this time I would do a weekly reflection of what positive things I had done for my new lifestyle that week. Slowly, I found it reprogrammed my thinking to be way more positive and proud of my hard work rather than exhausting.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I have some of that... especially on weekends. For me, distraction is key. If I can keep myself busy (i.e. keep my mind on something OTHER than the fridge/pantry/liquor cabinet), then the whole process becomes infinitely easier. Unfortunately, that's not always easy to do... but just having that awareness has helped.
  • Krisydee
    Options
    I'm logging and see that alchool is entirely the reason why I'm not to my goal... Its disgusting actually but know where I need to work on now. Thanks everyone! Much appreciate this advice
  • mike_rom
    mike_rom Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Giving up alcohol was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I used to drink quite a bit and feel like a new and MUCH better person. I will have a small drink on occasion, but still rare. Give it a shot!
  • Krisydee
    Options
    mike_rom wrote: »
    Giving up alcohol was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I used to drink quite a bit and feel like a new and MUCH better person. I will have a small drink on occasion, but still rare. Give it a shot!

How did you get out of that habit!? It's such a part of our society and culture.