Options
13»

Replies

• mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Krisydee wrote: »
    mike_rom wrote: »
    Giving up alcohol was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I used to drink quite a bit and feel like a new and MUCH better person. I will have a small drink on occasion, but still rare. Give it a shot!

How did you get out of that habit!? It's such a part of our society and culture.

I'm also not a drinker. It makes a lot of things easier, actually. I will never have to worry about a DUI, I don't need to log the calories and I am in full control of my faculties all the time. Plus, it's more fun to watch other people get drunk when you are the one who's sober. :smile:
  • Krisydee
    Krisydee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    mstarks01 wrote: »
    Giving up alcohol was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I used to drink quite a bit and feel like a new and MUCH better person. I will have a small drink on occasion, but still rare. Give it a shot!

How did you get out of that habit!? It's such a part of our society and culture.

I'm also not a drinker. It makes a lot of things easier, actually. I will never have to worry about a DUI, I don't need to log the calories and I am in full control of my faculties all the time. Plus, it's more fun to watch other people get drunk when you are the one who's sober. :smile:

Not everyone that drinks drives while they are or loses control of their faculties.... 😕 but happy that you are doing so great...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Whether you do or do not consume alcohol, you still have to account for the calories you consume.

Do that. Be honest. Be patient. If the problem is that you get hungry after you've reached your calorie budget, you may need to reconsider your calorie budget. Another possibility is that you can benefit from scheduling the snacks you'll have during the time you experience hunger, if that's predictable.
  • mstarks01
    Options

Not everyone that drinks drives while they are or loses control of their faculties.... 😕 but happy that you are doing so great...

Very true. There are quite a few people that think they are under the limit with just 2-3 drinks and end up with a DUI, though. I'm just glad to never have to even think about that. :smile:
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Literally going through the same thing. Had a full breakdown tonight bc I ate 260 over my calories. Life shouldn’t be this freaking stressful about weight. I feel punished that for the rest of my life I have to watch what I eat, count calories and weigh my food just to not gain more weight while there are people who can eat whatever and not gain a pound. People who are naturally thin, and don’t worry about body image. I’m so ready to give up.

See, I don't think this is true.

People who are naturally thin have come up with Rules in Their Own Heads.

No one can eat whatever and not gain a pound, that's not the way it works.

What happens is that people who maintain a certain weight have taught themselves over the years how to eat. Maybe it happened when they were 15 or maybe it took them until they were in their 40s or whatever - but we all have to make our peace with food.

I would LOVE to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's every day. As a matter of fact I did that for years. But then I had to either stop doing that or stop eating so much other food or stay fat.

All of life is about choices and habits. Once you make the better choices for a while they become the new habits and it's easier.

It was hard for me in the beginning of weight loss because the rules in my head had long ago been kicked to the curb. I had no rules. It was all the hedonism all the time. I had to learn all over again how to say, "No."

I think you're significantly overestimating the extent to which people without weight problems actually think about food and eating. They haven't discovered some sort of secret rules or learned something about eating that other people don't know. Most of them aren't constantly monitoring their intake or fighting battles with themselves about what they can and can't eat. They just don't feel like eating all the time.

I mean, I like Ben & Jerry's too as a once in a while treat, but hell if I'd want to eat a pint of it every day. I'd be sick as a dog after a week.
  • Krisydee
    Options

Very true. There are quite a few people that think they are under the limit with just 2-3 drinks and end up with a DUI, though. I'm just glad to never have to even think about that. :smile:

Not sure what this has to do with anything but ok... 😕
  • mstarks01
    Options

Seems like I have struck a nerve, which was not my intent. I only have kind intentions. Please enjoy the rest of your day.
  • Krisydee
    Options

Seems like I have struck a nerve, which was not my intent. I only have kind intentions. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

No not at all. Just odd is all. You have a nice day too.
  • darren_85
    darren_85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me going to sleep is a relief cos there is no battle :(
  • darren_85
    darren_85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath.

Put yourself at maintenance.

Eat what you like to eat within your maintenance calories.

Use a digital scale for all foods, and double check you are using correct entries.

Learn what portion sizes work for you, and what portions you can decrease.

When you are ready start decreasing your calories.

Every 250 cals a day less will give you 0.5 lbs loss per week.

Reduce at a level that suits you. You don’t have to do it fast, you don’t have to do it slow, you just have to be in a calorie deficit over time.

If logging is hard, stressful, do it for a month so you know your portion sizes. Then go by portions and your body scale weight. If you are maintaining, or gaining, drop your portion size, or cut a snack, or replace the snack with a lower calorie option.

Look for ways that make it easy. If that means for the first couple of months you are only maintaining- that’s a win. You know how much it takes to maintain. The next step is just eating a little less.

You haven’t mentioned exercise. It’s good for you, but not needed. I would encourage you, eventually to up your general daily movement, or start exercising. It’s good for your health, and gives you more calories to eat.

Take breaks when you need them to reduce stress.
    Be kind to yourself and forgiving.

Cheers, h.

Wow really inspiring post - really cheered me up thank you!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Literally going through the same thing. Had a full breakdown tonight bc I ate 260 over my calories. Life shouldn’t be this freaking stressful about weight. I feel punished that for the rest of my life I have to watch what I eat, count calories and weigh my food just to not gain more weight while there are people who can eat whatever and not gain a pound. People who are naturally thin, and don’t worry about body image. I’m so ready to give up.

What happens is that people who maintain a certain weight have taught themselves over the years how to eat. Maybe it happened when they were 15 or maybe it took them until they were in their 40s or whatever - but we all have to make our peace with food.

I would LOVE to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's every day. As a matter of fact I did that for years. But then I had to either stop doing that or stop eating so much other food or stay fat.

All of life is about choices and habits. Once you make the better choices for a while they become the new habits and it's easier.

It was hard for me in the beginning of weight loss because the rules in my head had long ago been kicked to the curb. I had no rules. It was all the hedonism all the time. I had to learn all over again how to say, "No."

I think you're significantly overestimating the extent to which people without weight problems actually think about food and eating. They haven't discovered some sort of secret rules or learned something about eating that other people don't know. Most of them aren't constantly monitoring their intake or fighting battles with themselves about what they can and can't eat. They just don't feel like eating all the time.

I mean, I like Ben & Jerry's too as a once in a while treat, but hell if I'd want to eat a pint of it every day. I'd be sick as a dog after a week.

I'd make the argument that you still have a rule in your head. It may have come naturally due to how you think your body would make you feel, but that's still a rule in your head. "I won't eat that much Ben & Jerry's, because it would make me sick."

Since it didn't make me sick, I had to come up with other things to tell myself.

I'm glad if you don't have to worry about how much you eat, you've been genetically blessed with a body that stops your mind from desiring or craving delicious foods.

This thread is about being mentally exhausted about food/thinking about food/how to stop that. Maybe you didn't read the first post by the person who is talking about this:
    I think the worst part about trying to lose weight is the constant battle inside your head. I feel like I have a split personality and it scares me. I will literally lay in bed at night and convince myself not to go to the fridge. All day I'm constantly fighting with myself it shouldn't be this exhausting. I want to so bad and I am so good when it comes to setting my mind to it. I can actually do it but in the beginning it is all mine games Within Myself. It is scary and frustrating and I feel so emotionally drained by the end of the day. Does anybody else feel this way? Any advice? Or if you just want to rant about what I just said or relate to what I just said. Rant over
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I'd make the argument that you still have a rule in your head. It may have come naturally due to how you think your body would make you feel, but that's still a rule in your head. "I won't eat that much Ben & Jerry's, because it would make me sick."

Since it didn't make me sick, I had to come up with other things to tell myself.

I'm glad if you don't have to worry about how much you eat, you've been genetically blessed with a body that stops your mind from desiring or craving delicious foods.

This thread is about being mentally exhausted about food/thinking about food/how to stop that. Maybe you didn't read the first post by the person who is talking about this:
    I think the worst part about trying to lose weight is the constant battle inside your head. I feel like I have a split personality and it scares me. I will literally lay in bed at night and convince myself not to go to the fridge. All day I'm constantly fighting with myself it shouldn't be this exhausting. I want to so bad and I am so good when it comes to setting my mind to it. I can actually do it but in the beginning it is all mine games Within Myself. It is scary and frustrating and I feel so emotionally drained by the end of the day. Does anybody else feel this way? Any advice? Or if you just want to rant about what I just said or relate to what I just said. Rant over

Yes, I read it. But I don't think the OP or anyone else is served by pretending that there is no other way to live than to constantly obsess about food and rules about food and white-knuckle your way through life avoiding the refrigerator. I also don't think anyone is genetically doomed to lay in bed at night struggling not to go eat something.

You said it yourself - the thread is about "how to stop that." The first step toward helping is to let her know that she can stop it, not pretend that she's doomed to obsess forever because she's not "genetically blessed."
  • quarterhorseygirl
    quarterhorseygirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I sympathize, it's annoying to have this constant battle in your head while you're still working on getting to the good habits being, well..habits. And then you wonder, will it ever get easier? It's like wth, why me?! At least that's what goes through my head.
  • Krisydee
    Options

Yes, I read it. But I don't think the OP or anyone else is served by pretending that there is no other way to live than to constantly obsess about food and rules about food and white-knuckle your way through life avoiding the refrigerator. I also don't think anyone is genetically doomed to lay in bed at night struggling not to go eat something.

You said it yourself - the thread is about "how to stop that." The first step toward helping is to let her know that she can stop it, not pretend that she's doomed to obsess forever because she's not "genetically blessed."

The mentally exhausting always happens in the first few weeks of starting a new habit. I used to be very disciplined in my mind a year ago before my car accident. This thread was mostly to vent and rant about how hard it has been to get accustomed to the lifestyle I used to lead. A lot of people do have a hard time as food addiction is a real thing. It is hard to get back in that momentum and quitting cold turkey is the best thing you can do when starting a new healthy lifestyle. Slowly getting myself into it has never worked for me. I just use this for him to vent and complain while I am feeling all of these different emotions. Cmriverside understood my post better than most on here.
  • Krisydee
    Options
    I sympathize, it's annoying to have this constant battle in your head while you're still working on getting to the good habits being, well..habits. And then you wonder, will it ever get easier? It's like wth, why me?! At least that's what goes through my head.

Yes thank you for empathizing. I know what to do just need other people to relate so I don't feel so "crazy" lol