Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• AKdogpile
    AKdogpile Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Slider 678. I use smoothies for breakfast or lunch. 1/4 pkg of silken tofu (I don't remember the weight for it-nobody else here eats it, so every 4 days, it comes out even and it's on my often used list), 1 cup of unflavored, unsweetened almond milk, a scoop for Body Fortress vanilla protein powder, and a serving by weight of frozen fruit, which varies depending on what's in the freezer. Not the cleanest approach, but it works for me. I sub lowfat plain yogurt for the tofu sometimes, and I'm thinking of trying cottage cheese.

I pretty much use the smoothie aporoach as a delivery system for the protein powder. 🤣😂🤣
  • AKdogpile
    AKdogpile Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Oh. And I'm late to the party, but I'm in. I quit smoking about 12 years ago, gained 80+ pounds, lost it, then gained part of it back during the past three years due to being sidelined by osteoarthrits in both knees. I had two total knee replacements in 2018- one Oct. 4 and the other Dec. 6. I am ready to get back to all day hiking, 50 mile bicycle rides, and snowshoeing for miles and miles. But I am a long way from that yet. Just started back to logging/calorie counting/walking (WATP) 5 days ago.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    skf1201 wrote: »
    I'm trying to cut out sugar, cut back on breads, bump way up fiber/protein. Also trying to cut back on the quantity in the evenings. When I'm at home & not focused, control tends to go out the window.

How are you doing so far with your goals? The evenings are difficult for me. We can do this!!! Great job on setting your goals😀

Good days, not so good days! My time at work is usually good as that is almost completely controlled by what I bring with me (unless there's a run to sprouts :# ) I have to keep busy and/or distracted at home or keep finding myself reaching in for something. And need something besides bread to eat avocado with. How are your evenings?

The last couple weeks have been hard for me. Do ok during the day at work, but have been hungry and over eating at night and on the weekends, hope it passes soon.
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all. I thought my week went pretty well...at least until I stepped on the scale a few days earlier than my official weigh day on Sunday. I saw my numbers creeping up and now I'm getting upset with myself. I felt like I was eating good with lower calories and good macros, and I've been steadily moving more and more for this very huge girl recovering from pacemaker surgery. I just don't know....
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    BettJo64 wrote: »
    Hi y'all. I thought my week went pretty well...at least until I stepped on the scale a few days earlier than my official weigh day on Sunday. I saw my numbers creeping up and now I'm getting upset with myself. I felt like I was eating good with lower calories and good macros, and I've been steadily moving more and more for this very huge girl recovering from pacemaker surgery. I just don't know....

Weight fluctuates a bit every day. Wait until your official weigh-in day before you start to panic.
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. So today's my usual weigh day and, even though I saw a slight gain the other day when I stepped and peeped on the scale ahead of time, today I see it sliding back down. No real extra loss for me...just back where I was. Anyways, it's a win for me so I'll take it😉
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Born in '64 in Australia and still living here.

In 2010-11 I was at my heaviest weight of 136kg and something 'clicked' (not as in my joints) in March 2011, and by ditching added sugar and sugary drinks, walking 20-30km per week, and tracking my food, I got to 96kg in December.

Major depression set in and injury meant stopped walking and went back up to 125kg. I am now 109kg, down from 110kg 6 months ago and currently on a "go slow" to lose it.

The depression is an all time low for me and I am "walking forward" to better years ahead.

Had my first session for a while at the gym this morning.

I like to hear from others in this age group.
  • Lark13
    Lark13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group, but am not sure how to do so. I am 52, and have been lurking in your comment thread for a while now. Thanks.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @Lark13, consider yourself joined! Welcome!
  • aopo84
    aopo84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m in!! Had lost 148 pounds and have gained back 60. So scared going to gain it all back. It’s time to get serious.
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Born in '64 in Australia and still living here.

In 2010-11 I was at my heaviest weight of 136kg and something 'clicked' (not as in my joints) in March 2011, and by ditching added sugar and sugary drinks, walking 20-30km per week, and tracking my food, I got to 96kg in December.

Major depression set in and injury meant stopped walking and went back up to 125kg. I am now 109kg, down from 110kg 6 months ago and currently on a "go slow" to lose it.

The depression is an all time low for me and I am "walking forward" to better years ahead.

Had my first session for a while at the gym this morning.

I like to hear from others in this age group.

Sounds like you’re back on track and doing well!
    Lark13 wrote: »
    I would like to join this group, but am not sure how to do so. I am 52, and have been lurking in your comment thread for a while now. Thanks.
    You’re in! Welcome.
    aopo84 wrote: »
    I’m in!! Had lost 148 pounds and have gained back 60. So scared going to gain it all back. It’s time to get serious.
    You can do it!

• BethHarrell55
    BethHarrell55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    just started back in MFP, had 60 lbs to lose, now 50 lbs...low carb, no processed, no sugar, no bread(unless I make it keto)....and water..lots and lots of water. I live in AZ, so its hot..forcing myself cuz I'm just not a water fan...lol..good luck to everyone!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Visiting relatives over the weekend, out with friends, and meeting today. This am weight was up 8 lbs (from last fri). Going to make it light and lots of water the rest of the week. Hoping it's mainly Na bloat :#
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    skf1201 wrote: »

Good days, not so good days! My time at work is usually good as that is almost completely controlled by what I bring with me (unless there's a run to sprouts :# ) I have to keep busy and/or distracted at home or keep finding myself reaching in for something. And need something besides bread to eat avocado with. How are your evenings?
    You might like some of the ideas on this website. They look good.

https://cookieandkate.com/avocado-toast-recipe/

Looked that up - thanks! drooling... so will try some
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    just started back in MFP, had 60 lbs to lose, now 50 lbs...low carb, no processed, no sugar, no bread(unless I make it keto)....and water..lots and lots of water. I live in AZ, so its hot..forcing myself cuz I'm just not a water fan...lol..good luck to everyone!

I use Mio water enhancer drops or Crystal Light or lemon or lime juice in water. Helps me drink more water if it has a little flavor.
  • Beowolf95
    Beowolf95 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I found this group thanks to a post by alteredsteve175 in another group. I would like to join in, even though I'm a little late to the party. I'm 53 (54 coming sooner than I want!), and have been an on again off again user of MFP for several years. Have about 75 lbs I need to shed, and just put a 13 month plan into action for where I want to be when I hit the double nickel, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise that is. I have accurately tracked all foods for the past 7 days to get an idea of what I really do, now I'm working on staying as close to the allotted calories as I can. I'm also considering going premium as I'm kind of a data junkie and would like access to more information.
  • pamekin4821
    pamekin4821 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m in!!! SO hard to lose weight after 50.....
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Beowolf95 wrote: »
    I found this group thanks to a post by alteredsteve175 in another group. I would like to join in, even though I'm a little late to the party. I'm 53 (54 coming sooner than I want!), and have been an on again off again user of MFP for several years. Have about 75 lbs I need to shed, and just put a 13 month plan into action for where I want to be when I hit the double nickel, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise that is. I have accurately tracked all foods for the past 7 days to get an idea of what I really do, now I'm working on staying as close to the allotted calories as I can. I'm also considering going premium as I'm kind of a data junkie and would like access to more information.

You got this! Welcome!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Beowolf95 wrote: »

Welcome, sir! Glad that you checked in. Lots of good support here at MFP.

• skf1201
    skf1201 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I feel this is worth the read. Inspirational.

Have you ever met one of those people who just radiates confidence?
    I think we’ve all got that one person in our lives:
    The person who is so upbeat their joy is contagious…
    Who seriously seems to have their life together…
    And best of all — this person genuinely loves themself, inside and out.
    Now, I know firsthand how loving yourself can be HARD work…
    But it turns out that confidence and self-love are more than great mood-boosters.
    Especially when it comes to one really hard type of self-love:

Body Acceptance.
    For many of us, feeling "OK" about our bodies can be really difficult.
    After all, our bodies change a LOT throughout our lives.
    Plus, there’s a HUGE amount of pressure to look a certain way — even if it’s not the way our bodies are built.
    But researchers have found that people who frequently practice body acceptance are actually healthier than those who don’t.

Why?
    When you start loving your body… it actually starts performing better.
    Think better digestion, more regular blood pressure, a healthier weight, a better mood…
    All thanks to a little self-love…
    And a reduction in the amount of cortisol your body makes.
    You see, cortisol is basically your body’s built-in alarm system.
    When you’re on edge about something (like how your old jeans are fitting)… your cortisol level rises.
    And if you’re making too much cortisol, it can lead to some pretty serious health issues down the road.
    But by simply focusing on body acceptance… you can take something that used to be stressful…
    And turn it into something you celebrate.
    (No — you don’t have to slim down or reach your ideal weight for this to happen.)
    Even better — it’s a great way to make sure you have fewer “off” days, less stress about your appearance…

And better overall health.

Now, I’ll be the first to say: Reaching that place where you fully love your body — no matter what — isn’t always easy.
    But there’s one really simple thing you can do to make EACH day more body-positive.
    And it starts with a trip to your local office supplies store.
    All you need is: A dry-erase marker.
    (Yep, I’m serious.)
    Stash that marker in your bathroom, and before you go to bed each night…
    Take that marker and write… on your mirror.
    More specifically, write something you appreciate about your body during the day…
    Maybe a physical attribute you’re proud of, like your skin, hair, legs, or smile...
    Something amazing that your body can do, like laughing, dancing, walking, running, even breathing…
    Or maybe it’s something you did to improve someone else’s day — like hugging a friend, giving a kiss, or petting the dog.
    The human body does AMAZING stuff, doesn’t it?

And whatever you’re especially proud of… write it on your mirror (don’t worry — dry-erase marker wipes right off the next day).
    That way, you’re ending your day on a positive note…
    And when you wake up in the morning, you’ll be greeted by that same upbeat message.
    Plus, you’ll get a reminder that the person in the mirror is pretty darn awesome.
    And with a “wakeup call” like that — chances are…
    You’ll feel better about yourself all day long. And that’s a great — and healthy — thing!

To a healthy, balanced life,
    Maggie Q
    ActivatedYou Founder

P.S. I want to know — what’s something you love about yourself, (insert your name here)

Your smile? Your laugh? The way you care for those around you?

celebrate how fantastic you are :)