Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hello all I will be 54 this month and seeking motivation. My goal for March is 6 days of 45 mins cardio and 6 days of 30 mins "yoga" per week. I have been in physiotherapy since November for knee arthritis so I count my physio exercises, some light weights, and stretching and yoga as "yoga" in my log so I don't have to calculate everything.
    Struggling right now with whether to give up on running as my arthritis is not responding well to physio and have been having recurrent shin splints which are getting kind of unbearable. I have kept running throughout. Switching it up for a couple of weeks on my physio's advise to stationery bike only to see if that helps. I keep getting advised to stop running - but damn it is hard to admit it is time to stop. When do you know?
    Another bonus is that since I have upped my cardio to 6 days per week I have gained weight (packed on 5 lbs in the last week - how is that even possible?) so I am now above my starting weight again. Really could use some motivation ....
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Hello all I will be 54 this month and seeking motivation. My goal for March is 6 days of 45 mins cardio and 6 days of 30 mins "yoga" per week. I have been in physiotherapy since November for knee arthritis so I count my physio exercises, some light weights, and stretching and yoga as "yoga" in my log so I don't have to calculate everything.
    Struggling right now with whether to give up on running as my arthritis is not responding well to physio and have been having recurrent shin splints which are getting kind of unbearable. I have kept running throughout. Switching it up for a couple of weeks on my physio's advise to stationery bike only to see if that helps. I keep getting advised to stop running - but damn it is hard to admit it is time to stop. When do you know?
    Another bonus is that since I have upped my cardio to 6 days per week I have gained weight (packed on 5 lbs in the last week - how is that even possible?) so I am now above my starting weight again. Really could use some motivation ....

As to the weight gain over the past week, sometimes increasing or changing exercise routines can cause additional water retention (temporary). Try not to get discouraged and let your body adjust!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody :)
  • solieco1
    Options

As to the weight gain over the past week, sometimes increasing or changing exercise routines can cause additional water retention (temporary). Try not to get discouraged and let your body adjust!

This. Whenever I change my exercise routine I gain water. Drink a bit more and it'll come back off.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Hey hey hey! Spent a few days on the river. Fishing and fresh, cold air and campfires and whiskey!

Had a great time. Weight was up a bit (as expected), so back at it today! Have an awesome week, y'all!
  • tensquaredlives
    tensquaredlives Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A question for you all...

Do you pre-plan what you are eating for the day (enter it in MFP and then check it off when you actually eat it)? Do you follow a set meal plan from some kind of program? Do you meal prep for the week? OR do you just eat and then log it?

• 33gail33
    Options

Do you pre-plan what you are eating for the day (enter it in MFP and then check it off when you actually eat it)? Do you follow a set meal plan from some kind of program? Do you meal prep for the week? OR do you just eat and then log it?

I have started pre-logging my exercise. That way when I build my days calories around it I HAVE to do it. For food I pre-log my lunch at breakfast time just because I make it and take it with me. My breakfast I switch between 2 or 3 things so they are ready to go in my app.
    I will never meal prep for the week because I like my food prepared and cooked fresh. I see all these pics of what people have meal prepped and while it looks good, I can't imagine eating it after 3 or 4 days. It just doesn't appeal to me.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I myself prep my lunches on Sunday, then again on Wednesdays. I don't pre-enter my food or exercise either. I am very consistent with my training and diet, but for me I think it's a bit easier, as it doesn't bother me to eat the same foods all the time. I think most would find that very boring.

I do like this quote, and use it for a myriad of things, but I think it applies here as well. "A failure to plan, is a plan to fail".

Cheers
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I generally have meals I want to make during the week and shop accordingly. I save the meals that require more time to prepare for when I’m not working and make extra. I don’t really preplan, but I think about my day in the morning, and then have an idea of what I want to have for the day.

• groovingroomer
    groovingroomer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm 56 and really frustrated with my body and stuck weight!! I have re-logged on here today and will start my journey to lose 20 lbs! I have no problems exercising and do classes 3x per week and try to do other 2 days at home with Fitness Blender (great free site!) My weight simply will not move! I did try a keto stint for 3 months and lost 7 or 8 lbs... didn't wan't to commit to the issue of food, prep, etc anymore. Glad to be here!!
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

I don't pre-plan my meals, but I tend to eat a lot of the same stuff. I don't log it until after I eat. I generally don't eat back exercise calories, if I do I don't seem to lose any weight.

Gained a few pounds back the last couple weeks, dealing with a lot of stress and personal problems and have tended to overeat, even skipped logging everything for a couple days, just too depressing to look at it.
  • 33gail33
    Options

Yep - I wasn't feeling well so skipped a day of cardio, and only walked for 30 minutes yesterday. I am down 5 lbs in the 5 days since I posted this. Back at it tonight - hope it doesn't spike again!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    :)
    @tensquare I eat a lot of the same stuff too. Just easier and then it's faster to log.
  • skf1201
    skf1201 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm 56 and really frustrated with my body and stuck weight!! I have re-logged on here today and will start my journey to lose 20 lbs! I have no problems exercising and do classes 3x per week and try to do other 2 days at home with Fitness Blender (great free site!) My weight simply will not move! I did try a keto stint for 3 months and lost 7 or 8 lbs... didn't wan't to commit to the issue of food, prep, etc anymore. Glad to be here!!

Welcome to the group. We are here to support you on your journey.

• Pumpitusa
    Pumpitusa Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good luck bud...im on the same ship
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I've had a truly shocking day, so to **** with the diet I WILL EAT CHOCOLATE AND DRINK WINE until I can laugh again! Have a good one guys
    xxx

Be careful!!
  • solieco1
    Options

I prelog days that I think might be tempting. I don't always stick to it so then I correct it when i eat but it really keeps me on track. Especially true if I know dinner is going to be at a restaurant.
  • solieco1
    Options
    I also LOVE variety so if it's something new I always check first to be sure it's not going to blow me out of the water for the day :smile: