Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just had a 3 week cycle... again. I swear I'm either starving all the time or horribly bloated... I'm so over this!

I had a two-week cycle just before Christmas and my body has been evening out with weird cycles ever since. I feel you. Short cycles are the worst.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Seeing a lot of questions regarding regarding women's health, so bumping this thread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    So, PMS has been MUCH easier on me since I gained back 20ish lbs (back in the overweight category now). The last few months have been a breeze, I managed to keep a deficit easily the last 3 days, and my period just came today.

So, in other words, I'm probably screwed, because clearly the hunger depends on my body fat percentage (also my period stopped altogether when I reached 132 lbs, about 21% body fat.. I'm probably over 25 now).

So depressing. I don't think I'll ever be able to maintain a healthy weight because of this (if I ever manage to go down again first).
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    So, PMS has been MUCH easier on me since I gained back 20ish lbs (back in the overweight category now). The last few months have been a breeze, I managed to keep a deficit easily the last 3 days, and my period just came today.

So, in other words, I'm probably screwed, because clearly the hunger depends on my body fat percentage (also my period stopped altogether when I reached 132 lbs, about 21% body fat.. I'm probably over 25 now).

So depressing. I don't think I'll ever be able to maintain a healthy weight because of this (if I ever manage to go down again first).

A bf% of 25-26 is considered in the healthy range for a woman
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »

A bf% of 25-26 is considered in the healthy range for a woman

I'm just guessing though. Unfortunately I have barely any fat in my legs and everything in my midsection (and some in the back), so it's really hard to guess.. Definitely don't like the way it looks.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    tumblr_o5me1zbItX1rc7zl1o1_400.gif

bump
  • pirofamily3
    pirofamily3 Posts: 1 Member
    I was on BC for 10 Year’s and I just came off to it in January. I have always been irregular before going on. I am working with my holistic doctor and i am on vitamins and supplements. I work out 5x a week and I track on myfitnesspal. I have had such up and down moments with this change and my trainer put me on a bodyscan last week and was definitely discouraged. I gained 2lbs and 2% body fat. I want to lose weight but gain muscle. I am working with a trainer once a week and then he gives me workouts for another day. Then I do orange theory 3x a week. It sucks what is women go through with diet and exercise and bloat.
  • Healthy_Libby
    Healthy_Libby Posts: 26 Member
    Great post. I totally agree. I ate the biscuit with the tea this morning, it was necessary and it is totally due to this time of the month!!! lol
  • WOW WOW WOW this post was absolutely amazing and informative. Such a good read. When I started my fitness journey i looked into all this because I would find myself heavier at certain times of the month. Which I learned is the retaining of water. I have been on the cell u loss tablet which is a natural tablet by herbalife which has helped with reducing the excess water weight.

Once again thank you for taking the time out to write this
  • fergusonjamillah
    fergusonjamillah Posts: 83 Member
    I always get hungry before my period so when im just eating to eat then i know its comming. I don't get cramps much but i feel cramps when i use the ladies room.
    What are some healthy snacks around the period time to aviod bad cravings.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Bump again ... :)

Just because it is a good thread.
  • KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you!!! I had an IUD since I started my weight loss journey. And before that on some form of birth control or another for the last 20 years.

In September I took out my IUD and now experiencing my full cycle for the first time again. I am trying to be kind and patient while I learn how it affects my weight, food cravings, and emotions. It’s like I’m a teenager all over again! Ha!

Anyways, thank you for this write up!
  • Hamsibian
    edited May 2019
    Hi all, I've recently got my period back after a few years missing (low weight due to health issues). I'm happy about it, but I'm sooo tired that I just want to sleep. I think my body is still trying to figure out a regular cycle (this is my 2nd month), but it's driving me nuts because I want to work out. Any advice?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Hi all, I've recently got my period back after a few years missing (low weight due to health issues). I'm happy about it, but I'm sooo tired that I just want to sleep. I think my body is still trying to figure out a regular cycle (this is my 2nd month), but it's driving me nuts because I want to work out. Any advice?

Sleep if you need to. A few days off isn't going to hurt in the long run, as long as you get back to it after that
  • Hamsibian
    @jemhh thanks for the reminder. I'm just bummed because my workouts have been irregular for the last few months (traveling, sick, just life). then the week before this period came, i kept telling myself how flabby and ugly I felt. It didn't help that the first 3 days I was hungry all the time!

I felt better today though and walked 2 miles. I plan to walk again before it gets dark.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    @jemhh thanks for the reminder. I'm just bummed because my workouts have been irregular for the last few months (traveling, sick, just life). then the week before this period came, i kept telling myself how flabby and ugly I felt. It didn't help that the first 3 days I was hungry all the time!

I felt better today though and walked 2 miles. I plan to walk again before it gets dark.

Oh, I get it. I've had a few months of not great workout scheduling and right when I was getting back to it, my home gym partially flooded and I had no equipment for a week or so. It stinks when your momentum is disrupted!
  • Hamsibian
    edited June 2019
    So, I found out last week that I absolutely can't lift weights during my period. No joke, even when I lowered weights it felt like I was trying to lift an SUV. My acupuncturist told me to stop lifting on my period, and my trainer said that it just happens with some women - I'm guessing overexertion. I'm okay with walking or yoga from now on, but I'm curious if anyone else experienced this?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    So, I found out last week that I absolutely can't lift weights during my period. No joke, even when I lowered weights it felt like I was trying to lift an SUV. My acupuncturist told me to stop lifting on my period, and my trainer said that it just happens with some women - I'm guessing overexertion. I'm okay with walking or yoga from now on, but I'm curious if anyone else experienced this.

*raises hand*

On really bad days even a walk can defeat me and I just lay curled up in bed with a heating pad. Thankfully, that only happens 2-3 times a year but it still bites.

• ketsuban25
    ketsuban25 Posts: 17 Member
    I overdid it with the calorie deficit and my cycle is now on week 6 day 3 :x I don't know how to get it back. I upped my calories to what myfitnesspal suggests and am eating back exercise calories but I don't know if I fudged something internally. Can't afford to go to my doctor right now.