Naturally Slim Program

Options
12346»

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I signed up for this program through my work for free too. I'm on week 3. I admit, I'm not actually following it because it's stupid. I don't know why I keep watching the videos. Today I posted on their community boards about my difficulties with their "fist sized" amount of food. I'd had a big salad for lunch and I could still eat. They are SURE it's because I didn't what what I love. Apparently, if I ate a fist-sized serving of chicken spaghetti carbonara or a Bacon Temptation Omelet from IHOP (1100+ calories btw) that would have satisfied me for 6 to 8 HOURS and I wouldn't still want food. Oh, and it's not only acceptable, but encouraged to skip breakfast, eat one or two meals a day of only fat-laden, butter-dripping food and perfectly alright that I'd literally never eat another vegetable if I only ate what I loved (except sugar and milk? apparently). I'd still lose weight and be healthy.

That's where they lost me. I may be a terrible dieter...I've never been able to stick even to MFP logging, but NO ONE will ever convince me that it's healthy to never eat anything green. Nope.
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 353 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I feel this thread is opinion skewed from the get go. I'll admit my work just started offering this and we started the program yesterday. I am definitely skeptical, but not going in to it scornfully. I'm open to learning what I can that will work for me. I'm not trying to lose weight as much as changing how I eat so I don't gain weight. I'll find a different, more neutral fact based thread to follow for others checking the program out, though.

Well, there aren't any other current discussions, so I'll just have to swish a grain of salt around in my mouth and follow here, lol.
  • mjohemme
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    The Pringles and peanuts are part of an exercise in taste satisfaction. You smell one chip, lick it, then eat it slowly. Then you eat a chip as fast as you can. Which tasted better? What flavor did you taste eating slowly vs fast?

Repeat with the peanuts.

Pringles have the stated flavour on one side only, so do they tell you to compare sides and which you prefer?

They do, actually.

I'm only on Day 2, but one thing from watching all the videos yesterday for Week 1 that hit home was the part about your stomach not having taste buds. It was the video about slowing down your eating, which is a problem I have. I eat while doing other things and I eat fast and then it's gone. Yes, I knew this was a bad habit before I started the program, but sometimes you need that quote that sticks in your head. My other quote that helps me out is "You can't out exercise a bad diet".
  • mjohemme
    Options
    @barefootbridgey We do make fun of the practiced hand gestures and slowing down words for emphasis in the videos during our lunch break at work lol.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue would be keeping a straight face at these meetings. :D

It actually videos you watch at your own pace. I am free to laugh, scoff, or snooze... 🤣

Those videos are just the worst, aren't they?
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    why does everything need to be so extreme? It isn't natural to eat one pile of food at a time on your plate. Do they realize how weird that is? Can you imagine going out to dinner in a social situation and doing that? Or worse.. talking about it. Shedding pounds is just common sense when you get down to it.. eat healthy foods ..move more..and seek balance where food doesn't dominate life. In short don't overeat.

I get what they're trying to do. One big tip most weight loss experts say is to slow down on eating..don't be in front of a computer.. chew.. take your time. That is good advice. So they build a diet around that and add a timer?

I've tried this program twice and it failed for me both times. In part because of those two things. I'm not a huge proponent of the program myself (at all), and I agree with you - I get what they are trying to do. But...also they dont really build you a diet. And the timer and the "eat one at a time" are (I think, anyway...I never made it past the first month because the videos enraged me. lol) sort of like training tools. At least that's how I looked at them. To me, it was more like a crash course in how people who are naturally thin eat - not that they eat one food at a time, or that they need a timer, but they take their time. That they enjoy their food and taste it, rather than just eating and eating and eating and jumping from hungry to miserable. Not unlike going to the gym and having no idea how to actually workout - it seems easy, but is it? If you are so out of shape and have terrible form etc etc? Sometimes we need training tools. lol

Again. I wouldn't personally do this program again. And I agree with you - but it has been successful for a lot of people I worked with (not me though), so for some people (not me) it might be worth a shot.
  • amwiggler
    amwiggler Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    100% working for me. I’m not losing fast, but I am losing consistently. Counting everything, making sure everything is the “right” food, logging and weighing was just too much - total lost in a year @ 5 pounds (because I was always falling off and starting over). On this program, I watch the videos on Monday morning, eat whatever’s handy for lunch and dinner and I’m down 10 so far this year (for a total of 15 since the doctor realized how much I’d gained in menopause). I don’t even feel like I’m doing anything - the calorie counting was so much more work. Any time I feel like I overate, I just wait to get back to the right level of hunger and resume good habits. It may not work for everyone, but it’s been a lifesaver for me.
  • cappadocius
    cappadocius Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started the program on Monday, and I've been struggling with some parts of it and I'm glad to see a few folks who are doing it but aren't part of the NS boards themselves. I just don't see good advice there - a teacher said that they don't have the freedom to just eat whenever they want (I have a similar problem with my job) and everyone was "H2oj H2Oj!" and that's just... I can't.

Right now, I'm struggling with the sugar reset. My breakfast for at least the last ten years had been a glass of milk and a couple of pop tarts. It got me through the morning to lunch. I would have a single can of soda at lunch and a soda at dinner. Now, they say not to count calories, but I've been counting calories for the last year or so, just trying to maintain at 2000 calories a day, so I know that by losing those Pop Tarts and cans of soda, I've just lost 700 calories a day. Now, even this site is saying if I want to lose the weight I want, I need to be down to 1500 calories a day - I've been a little less this week, because I haven't recalibrated what to buy to make up for some of that missing 700 calories. I am always hungry, all day, this whole week. I've been drinking the 60 ounces of water a day they want me to drink, it's been less of a burden than I thought it would be, but it's still not really possible for me to go eat a meal only when I'm hungry (which, as I've said, has been all day all week).

That Monday night, I woke up at 3:30 AM and I was completely at what they call a level 3, maybe a level 4, of hunger. Was I supposed to get up and make a meal at 3 in the morning? I have enough problems with disordered sleeping to really want to do that.

I'm also not completely sure what I'm supposed to do when the 10-5-10 is up, and I still have food. I remember the videos scoffing at all of us being told not to waste food, but not, you know, WHAT TO DO SO I DON'T WASTE FOOD.

I think the slow eating and mindfulness will be really helpful, and if I can kick sugar back to a sometimes food, that'd be great, but I'm just not feeling supported in this first week and I do worry about long-term stickiness. Just reading this one thread about other people going through it and having some of the same qualms I'm having right out of the gate has been more supportive than a dozen "H2oj" posts.
  • amwiggler
    Options
    mjohemme wrote: »
    I feel this thread is opinion skewed from the get go. I'll admit my work just started offering this and we started the program yesterday. I am definitely skeptical, but not going in to it scornfully. I'm open to learning what I can that will work for me. I'm not trying to lose weight as much as changing how I eat so I don't gain weight. I'll find a different, more neutral fact based thread to follow for others checking the program out, though.

Well, there aren't any other current discussions, so I'll just have to swish a grain of salt around in my mouth and follow here, lol.

Hang in there - there is at least one other person on this thread willing to look at behavior instead of counting everything. I’m on week 23 and just had a pulled pork sandwich and cheese fries for lunch. Ate slowly until I was comfortably full and I’m at the lowest weight I’ve been in at least 5 years. Clothes fit, no feelings of deprivation and I got my life back. As I said before, it may not work for everyone, but I’m no longer a skeptic. Did I mention that my blood pressure is also back into the “textbook” range? (Quote from the nurse at my physical).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    And people say counting calories is tedious. Eating with a timer? What do you do in social settings? What caused this place of employment to choose this program and what were the other options?
  • amwiggler
    Options
    Me again - one of the few NS supporters on this thread. I don’t think anyone on this thread is wrong - just know that everyone has to find what works for them. This week I was on a vacation involving lots of buffets. Ate what I wanted, including pizza and desserts, chewed it slowly and enjoyed it and saw another loss on the scale this morning. For most of you, calculating exact calories on vacation is easier than just taking your time to eat, but Naturally Slim continues to work for me. Allow for the possibility that it might work for someone even if your success is found differently.
  • chandralanelle
    chandralanelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For clarification...
    I am on week 3 of the NS program, and I think there are some misunderstandings surrounding several things people are posting. First of all, the program DOES NOT say you must drink H2Orange everyday. In fact it says H2Orange OR water. It simply suggested that you MUST stay hydrated because many people mistake dehydration for hunger. I have only drank water because I’m not a fan of watered down orange juice, and staying hydrated HAS helped my hunger and cravings.
    Another misunderstanding is the hunger savers. It clearly says in the program that there are MANY foods that can be hunger savers... not just their suggested list. These are only to used when you are truly hungry and have an hour or so before you can sit down to a meal.
    I have lost 6 pounds in the first 2 weeks of the program and feel great. I have no idea what the rest of the program will be like, but so far I have learned a few new ideas that I will add to my knowledge about how I view food.
    And so you all know... I am also a fan of MFP and have used it for several years. I see where both NS and MFP can be utilized together.

• EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For clarification...
    I am on week 3 of the NS program, and I think there are some misunderstandings surrounding several things people are posting. First of all, the program DOES NOT say you must drink H2Orange everyday. In fact it says H2Orange OR water. It simply suggested that you MUST stay hydrated because many people mistake dehydration for hunger. I have only drank water because I’m not a fan of watered down orange juice, and staying hydrated HAS helped my hunger and cravings.
    Another misunderstanding is the hunger savers. It clearly says in the program that there are MANY foods that can be hunger savers... not just their suggested list. These are only to used when you are truly hungry and have an hour or so before you can sit down to a meal.
    I have lost 6 pounds in the first 2 weeks of the program and feel great. I have no idea what the rest of the program will be like, but so far I have learned a few new ideas that I will add to my knowledge about how I view food.
    And so you all know... I am also a fan of MFP and have used it for several years. I see where both NS and MFP can be utilized together.

From what I understand the program had a revamp since I did it a few years ago. That may be one of the differences. When I took it they recommended making up a big pitcher of H2Orange and recommended sipping it all day long to keep blood sugar levels stable to reduce hunger. They said water was acceptable if you were out of H2Orange, but they really pushed the watered-down OJ as a key to success and not really something that was optional.
  • RobertaMoore2022
    RobertaMoore2022 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    it sounds top me it uses a mindful eating approach. Nothing special, nothing new, but you need support and motivation, and a deep understand of mindfulness. I have read a book by Jan Chozen Bays and was very interesting!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    lol, anything to sell books and programs that are "specific" to people who have problem with weight loss. Let's be honest. People who are leaner just do ONE thing better than those who overeat and are overweight............................they eat what the burn in a day. It's a simplistic approach but people who can't seem to do it ALWAYS claim they say it's not enough food for them. DUH if it wasn't, they wouldn't gain weight. We need to get over the mentality that eating enough for 2 people is why we're a fat nation overall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jonand57
    jonand57 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I consider diet to be a noun and not a verb. It should be a sustainable eating regimen that you enjoy. Eating one thing at a time is neither enjoyable nor sustainable. Losing weight is basically calories in and calories out. If the calories in are more than the calories out you gain weight. I find meals that consist of fresh foods (legumes, vegetables, fruit, nuts and healthy proteins work for me). The Mediterranean diet or similar are enjoyable, healthy and sustainable. Avoid highly processed foods. The rest is all snake oil.