What book are you reading?

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Any King fans here? : )

k0lg13z76ng2.jpg

Good yarns, crappy endings. Running Man was really good

That's exactly it! He is SO good at developing characters and stories but the endings for the most part just leave me flat. For the most part. ;) I will defend to the death his short story collections.

However...The Stand is still my favorite book ever and 11/22/63 was pretty great.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Tried Girl Wash Your Face but just couldnt get into it and had to drop it. Listening to Woof by Spencer Quinn, not groudbreaking but provides some entertainment on the commute that I don't mind my toddler overhearing.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    _Cece_x wrote: »
    The Tattoist of Auschwiz it’s so good

Oh I would like to read it. worth it?

I was looking at that too.
  • Jennifer1Harrison
    Jennifer1Harrison Posts: 35 Member

k0lg13z76ng2.jpg

Ugh steven king is so self indulged and boring! I know he has a large following but i can't stand his droning!

I just finished his book the long walk. That was a very good book.
  • Jennifer1Harrison

k0lg13z76ng2.jpg

Huge fan. Just finished the long walk. That was a good one. Different from his norm.
  • Jennifer1Harrison
    Just finished 2 books. The long walk by Stephen King and What the night knows by Dean Koontz. Both very good.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Miracle on the 17th Green by James Patterson. Light reading, very predictable, but I enjoyed it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    51GbRu0tD3L._SX342_.jpg[img][/img]
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    zz3gga50r5pz.jpg
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    the fourth thing
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    zz3gga50r5pz.jpg

That looks interesting, I might have to check it out
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Finished when They call you a terrorist by Patrisse Cullors today & now I'm reading Everything I never told you by Celeste Ng
  • BasedGawd412
    AutumLeaf wrote: »
    Finished when They call you a terrorist by Patrisse Cullors

I started reading that last year but found it too hard to get into giving it up.
  • BasedGawd412
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    zz3gga50r5pz.jpg

That looks interesting, I might have to check it out

Easy read. The horror stories will make your blood boil.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Love a bit of morbid humour. Despite the humour though, I'm learning a lot from this book.

Smoke gets in your eyes and other lessons from the crematorium by Caitlin Doughty.

I LOVE Caitlin! I got to see her speak last fall and it was really awesome. Both of her books are 10/10 in my opinion but I loved that one better than From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling). It's the third book in the series. Very good!
  • doingthisforme16
    doingthisforme16 Posts: 36 Member
    The Laughing Policeman
    aql5tklr5xbn.jpg
  • lovelylosses
    lovelylosses Posts: 27 Member
    I've been sick with a cold so have read quite a bit this week - silver lining? lol. Read all ten books in Elly Griffith's "Ruth Galloway" mystery series. It's very atmospheric, and she really grows as a writer during the series.

Also finished "The Night Before" by Wendy Walker (got it as an ARC through the publisher) - it was pretty shallow, but a decent thriller. Same thing - ARC - of "Lock Every Door" by Riley Sager. Compulsively readable - can't recommend it enough.

Last night I read "Cruel Acts" by Jane Casey and it was superb. If you like police procedurals, her Maeve Kerrigan series is to-die-for, and this is the best yet.

I honestly have no idea what to read next so might hunt around this thread for some ideas...
  • BasedGawd412
    Just picked these up

78y5cvrcyx6n.jpg
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Love a bit of morbid humour. Despite the humour though, I'm learning a lot from this book.

Smoke gets in your eyes and other lessons from the crematorium by Caitlin Doughty.

I LOVE Caitlin! I got to see her speak last fall and it was really awesome. Both of her books are 10/10 in my opinion but I loved that one better than From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death.

@seltzermint555 that's so cool that uoh got to see her speak! I have a lot of admiration for her & would love to be friends with her :) I don't know anyone else who knows about her. One of my co-workers did history at uni & I'm trying to get her to read the book so I can chat to her about it!