NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @TrishasTime, Yes I did have a great time with my family. There is a lot of dysfunction and they live a very different life than I do, but they are my people and I love them. Happy voting!! :)

@theslightedgeforever, I think that is great that you are weighing and keeping yourself in check during your vacation. Yes, to some indulgences and a little gain, but NO to losing all control. That is what I have to remember for my next vacation. ;)

@cbabie, yeah eating garlic bread would make me feel bloated too. We have to remember that carbs like bread, pasta, and rice are really no different than eating sugar. The body treats it in the same way. I drive also like to drive fast! :p

@trooworld, yayyyy for getting your keys!! When do you plan to be all moved in by? I hope all will turn out OK with your dog. I hate when my Maggie gets sick. :/

I slept for almost 9 hours!! I haven't done that is forever. I guess my body really needed it. I got in a good workout this morning and since I don't have anything to do today, I'm going to see how far I can push my fasting before I truly need to eat. Usually, it's not hunger that drives me but the brain fog I get. I can't stand feeling like I can't focus. Today is a lazy, watch some TV kind of day and that will take no brain power at all. :)
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Well yesterday I managed to drop a heavy iron on my foot. One of my little toes took the brunt of it, swollen and quite painful. I’m very disappointed in myself bc I’ve been doing really well with my running, and I wanted to run today, but I don’t think I can. The toe is not broken I don’t think, just swollen and red.

Of course this morning, I was making breakfast and trying to be so careful not to aggravate it and something spooked my cat and of course she ran across my foot and I had about 15lbs of cat come down on it. I yelled like a banshee lol.

So I hope it will be better by tomorrow, but we’ll see I guess.

@TeresaW2010 glad you had a good time with your family! And glad you got some rest too, I feel like most people never get enough sleep.

@trooworld CONGRATULATIONS! That is so great for you and your husband to be homeowners. Lol at your husband’s ‘plan’. But I’m sure you both worked very hard to get there. I hope your doggie is ok- I have two cats, it’s always upsetting when something might be wrong with them.

@cbabie- sounds like a fun dinner, but yep there is always a price to be paid! I like garlic bread, was eyeing some in the grocery store yesterday lol. But I really react to white bread.

@theslightedgeforever good job with the restaurant. As for me and my bad week- I don’t know it was a combination of things. Some of it was hormones or something. I do track my cycle but I don’t pay attn/plan for days where I will have an increased appetite bc of it. And then it just kind of snowballs. So I got an app to track it better and record symptoms so I can start to plan better for days when my appetite will be higher.

@TrishasTime hope your walk was okay and not painful!
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Good morning everyone :)

@trooworld - I am so happy for you. Now there is no one - coming to check on you, making sure you keep everything spotless/ - woohoo. Hope your puppy is okay. He may just be reacting to your stress.

@its_cleo - oh no!!! How do you know it is not broken (not that they can do anything when it is broken). I would still be checking it out with a medical person t make sure you can get back to your running quickly. Unfortunately, when feet go wrong, there is not alot of workarounds.

@cbabie - How is the treadmill going???

@theslightedgeforever - Seems you have the vacation down pat, monitoring your weight and pricking the best choices you can - good for you :) Love you being realistic

@TeresaW1020 - I am so glad you had a great time with your family . Hope you have a happy relaxing day.

Voting done, the walk was okay, took my walking stick (just in case) but felt it more of a hindrance than a help. Late last night, the pipe for the hot water under the sink tap burst, flooding perhaps 1/3 of my home (lucky we were there, but we could not turn off the meter quickly). Sucked up water but am worried about cupboard kick boards and skirting boards, lodged an online claim last night and the insurance company has already been in contact.

I feel like @trooworld - always something that is urgent

Take care

Trish
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,211 Member
    @cbabie I have a daughter that drives just like you. Karma...…. Yes on her not using the scale. I was going to comment that to her but then thought better of it. lol I'm learning to hold my tongue. Not nearly enough my kids would tell you. My daughter tells me everyday, Do you want to drive, Mom? Which I respond with No but I'd like to get there safely. You won't feel better eating that piece of cake. Put it on the bottom shelf in the back so you won't see it everytime you open the door. Just keep up with your no sugar for JUST ONE MORE DAY.

@trooworld The interesting thing about this scale of my dd's is that needing a charging cord makes it more convenient. If I had to go to the store to buy the batteries needed for the scale, it would take me a lot longer. My food scale at home is a testament to this. I never seem to have a problem charging my phone or my Kindle, or my computer. Ah, husbands and their plans. Although I plan but just in a different way. His is more concrete and mine is more fluid. Except when it comes to moving. I was raised by my mother. There are certain ways to do that. He wants to start packing up my dd's apt now so we'll be ready to move. That would be true if she had anything in her apartment and we don't need to use the stuff in the next two weeks. I'm currently sitting on the floor typing this because the couches are being occupied by sleeping dh and ds. There are no other chairs in the house. Trying to cook here has been interesting as everything is child-sized. Imagine half a cookie sheet. Then I was going to shred some carrots and no vegetable peeler. (I still call it a potato peeler). She hasn't lived in this apartment since October since she's been doing clinical rotations all over. every 6 weeks is somewhere new. She doesn't really cook for her self so no need for things she says. I said now that she will be a functioning adult, she needs to make her new apartment a home instead of just a place to sleep. she rolled her eyes. lol I will say that her food processor I bought her is better than mine. I got her that thinking maybe she would cook more at home so she would lose some weight. No. Oh, well, all I can do is be a good role model, right? I hope your dog doesn't have diabetes. congrats on the keys. I always like a new place because everything is clean and new.

@TeresaW1020 I think there's dysfunction in most families. I'm trying to learn that we can't control anyone but our own reactions to the situations. We can choose to throw more fuel on to the fire or see if it burns itself out. Good for you on your workout and getting some rest.

@its_cleo Ouch on the toe. I always hate when something comes up to spoil our plans. But I guess that's why we always need a plan B. I didn't have PMS as a teen but it waited til my 50's to show up. About one week before my period comes, I want to eat all the salty and chocolatey snacks in sight. But even though I know it's going to happen and I try to plan for it, I still don't seem to be able to get rid of it so I'm working on managing it through portion control. I'm getting better at it. I think it snowballs because we tell ourselves that we've blown it and then we keep eating out of our calorie range. We'll start again tomorrow. Tomorrows turn into days which turns into weeks, months, years. I've already played this game. I know how it turns out.........

@Trishastime My goodness on the pipe. Did someone curse you or something? Yes, there will always be "something" that comes up but we still need to learn how to manage our weight around it. Because that's our health. Not just looking good in an outfit.

Although I will tell everyone that I got down to a size 14 pants. :cue dancing music: Now dancing onto the 12's.
    Graduation was yesterday so that's all finished. Evidently my kids thought it would be nice to go see Avengers movie last night at 10:30 pm. It's a 3 hr movie. Didn't get to sleep til 3. Then had to get up at 5:15 to make sure my son caught his flight home. Why doesn't the mother gene turn off when the kids become adults? I'm wondering why an early morning flight was booked? Oh I remember, my husband......... He thinks everything should be done early. The rest of us are more night owls and procrastinators. But we get our stuff done.

• theslightedgeforever
    Here's some notes from my journaling I've been doing since on vacation.

1)Food isn’t the problem. It’s how you use food that causes problems. If you only address behaviors, change will be temporary.

2)You are more likely to improve your health if you focus on changing your behaviors, rather than on the number on the scale.

3)why do most people keep turning to the latest fad diet, hoping that each time things will be different? The answer is that each diet represents a hope they have of changing their life.

Ross, Carolyn Coker. The Emotional Eating Workbook: A Proven-Effective, Step-by-Step Guide to End Your Battle with Food and Satisfy Your Soul (p. 9, 11-12). New Harbinger Publications. Kindle Edition.
  • TrishasTime
    Good morning everyone

@theslightedgeforever - yes I agree - I must have broken a mirror without noticing it :( Good news is the foot is getting better with the anti-inflammatories, so maybe it is an up and down curse.
    Congratulations on your daughter's graduation- how special :) BUT a big "happy dance" for you - size 12??? What a special NSV. I can not remember when I was a size 12. Your journalling notes come at a good time for me, and I am pleased that I stuck to my new behaviour when the mini-disaster happened with the flooding.

Hello to everyone else that comes by. I know some are busy packing :) others are doing what they need to do

Trish
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,862 Member
    @theslightedgeforever lol...she definitely needs to upgrade her equipment! My dog definitely doesn't have diabetes, his thirst was from a shot he got last weekend. Good luck with moving your daughter. Congrats on getting down to 14s! That's amazing!!! And congrats to your daughter! lol your husband is the oddball but it works. Interesting notes but 1) and 2) seem to conflict a little.

@TrishasTime Good news about the foot! And sticking to your new behavior!!!

Hello all. I am exhausted and the moving hasn't even officially begun yet. :( We moved about 6 carloads over the weekend. It was raining yesterday but we moved in it anyway. I can't wait for this to be over! We also bought a bedroom set and a coffee table. Yay for new furniture.

EMPOWERED.
  • TeresaW1020
    Good morning! :)

@its_cleo, ouch! Your poor little toe. How are you today? I hate when something messes up my workout. I somehow managed to hurt my ankle and for the last two days, I’ve had to get off the treadmill because it starts hurting very badly. I’m going to take a couple of days off and see if that fixes it. So annoying!! I hope you are better soon. <3

@TrishasTime, Ohhhh my goodness! You can’t catch a break, can you? I hope the water didn’t do any lasting damage. I’m glad you were able to walk to the polls without any issue. That is progress, huh? 😊

@theslightedgeforever, Yayyyy to being in a size 14! I'm in a 14 in dress pants and wanting to be in a 14 in jeans. You are an inspiration! B) Wow! Your family sounds fun but a 3-hour movie in the middle of the night would have had me sleeping through it all. I hope you enjoyed it! Such good journal insights!! It really is figuring out what our issues are that cause us to overeat and not what we put in our mouth that matters most. Changing my behavior with food will be the only way to ever reach my goal weight and stay there. Working on it!! 😊

@trooworld, moving is the worst! We sometimes fantasize about selling this house and getting one with a bigger yard and better view but the very thought of packing, moving, and then unpacking will keep me in this house until I die or need to be put into a home. Just keep your eye on the prize and you will be settled in and enjoying your new home in no time. Yayyyy to new furniture. You will have to post pics once you get everything the way you like it. <3

Well, summer is here and May isn’t even over yet! We are going to be in the high 90’s later this week! :s Fortunately I have two things going for me. One is that I just got a new air conditioning unit in my church office and two intermittent fasting keeps me cold once I get past 16 hours. :D I'm really nervous about tomorrow's weigh in. Not having a scale in my house to see how bad my trip was for my weight is frustrating. I've been really good these last six days so my fingers are crossed that it won't be too ugly! :p
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Well my toe is better, so I'm happy. Was able to go for a run yesterday with no problem, so it really just needed a day to recover.

I'm back on track with my eating plan and feeling pretty good.

@teresaw2010 - hope your ankle recovers soon! I hope the scale is ok- but no matter what it is, you can bounce back! When I want on vacation last September I gained like 5 lbs but it came off very quickly. Losing weight after that was tough, however!

@trooworld yay for new furniture! You've had a very busy couple of weeks, with the sale and the paperwork and now the actual move itself. Can you rent a van or something to take more at once? Either way, the end is slowly coming and you can start to settle in and enjoy.

@TrishasTime flood sounds terrible. What a nuisance! I hope the insurance is helpful. I'm glad your inflammation is going down though. You do deserve some good luck! My toe- I figured it wasn't broken because I could move it. I always read that meant it wasn't broken...it's still not the same colour as the others but it's not hurting anymore. I'm lucky it wasn't worse. My iron is heavy and I had just filled it so it was full of water.

@theslightedgeforever that is so great for your daughter to be graduating! As for the lifestyle ie not cooking etc- it may be partly an age thing and maybe partly not enough time. For a couple of years I worked in an office with a lot of junior lawyers- they were in their 20s, just starting out- literally just graduated. They ate out all the time. They also ate junk food all day long. It drove me crazy. This was the place where I had to have my own rule of not eating junk food at work, because on any given day we would have ice cream, chips, chocolate, donuts, etc in the office. Gummy worms. All kinds of stuff. But for meals they never cooked- I assume being young they were able to eat like that with no problem, and money wasn;t a huge issue. They also worked alot, so they worked a lot of overtime. So I could kind of understand why they ate takeout all the time.

It's a long weekend here, but I didn't do too much. Yesterday I had to do a bit of work. Today I did chores bc tomorrow I have to go to the office.
  • TrishasTime
    GM everyone

@its_cleo - so glad your toe is not broken and that you were able to get back to you or plans :)

@trooworld - Moving is exhausting but think of all the calories you are burning. So exciting that you are getting new furniture :)

@TeresaW2010 - I think it is all about your behaviour rather than the scale. Life happens and if you do your best whilst away, then come back home and jump back into healthy eating, that is great behaviour and I bet if you reflected, something that perhaps you would not have done 3 years ago. AS @trooworls sais about, it is not the numbers on the scale but our behaviours that will get us through.

The foot is holding up well - I even did a Leslie Sansone walk for 20 min without a repercussions. I am trying to turn this around

Take care

Trish
  • trooworld
    @TeresaW1020 Moving IS the worst! Girl, don't do it...it's not worth it! lol I am trying, but I am sore, tired, and ready to be DONE! :) Good luck at weigh in!

@its_cleo I'm glad your toe is better and you were able to go for a run. Yay for being back on track with eating, too! We are actually renting a truck tomorrow with two mover guys, so help is on the way! :)

@TrishasTime That is a good point...my body is aching for a reason! I'm using muscles that haven't been used in ages lol. Yes, I haven't had new bedroom furniture since I was a child.

Hello all! Well, my husband is realizing that the packing fairies aren't coming to save us, and we are in deep doo doo lol. We are going to have to make 4 trips to the condo after work tonight, he says. I don't know how that is possible, but we'll see. Stuff is still not entirely packed. I'm at my wit's end. You'll probably not see me for a few days. I'll try to check in, but I may not be on here until at least Saturday. Wish me luck!

EMPOWERED.
  • TrishasTime
    Hi

@trooworld - When do you get the moving truck in? If you are bringing loads of things each night then where are you storing them in the new place?

Hello to everyone else
  • theslightedgeforever
    @Trishastime When I wrote the other day I had just got into a pair of 14's. I said I was dancing my way into some 12's. I meant in the future. What I didn't know is that the future would be two days later. I bought a pair of size 12 white jeans today. Yes they are stretch denim but this time last year I couldn't wear size 14 stretch denim. I was excited when I put on the 14's and I noticed they were just a bit baggy. I thought if I lose more weight they will be a lot baggy. So I better go down a size. I don't like spending money on clothes for just a bit and then have to give them away. I wear them until they really look baggy on me. I can't really remember the last time I was in a size 12. They've messed up the sizing anyway here in the states compared to when I was actually thin back in the 80's. Vanity sizing they call it. Who knows what size I will be when I finally get to goal. I'm glad your foot is getting better.

@trooworld I thought the same thing about #1 and #2. Maybe I took one out of context. I'll have to go back and check. New furniture is fun. I think it's easier to move across country than across town. Cause across country you have to have everything packed up at once and do it all at one time versus many trips. I've done both ways and it's harder across town but cheaper that way, I think. It will all be over soon.

@teresaw1020 Just keep doing well on your program and the scale will eventually catch up. Sorry about your ankle.

@its_cleo I didn't cook much back when I was single either. She says she cooks once a week and then I guess eats that the following days. She says mostly its sandwiches for lunch. I told her salads don't require cooking. lol She said I don't see you eating too many of those, Mom. I had one tonight for dinner. Trying to balance with the other food I'm eating. Yaaay on your toe.

• TeresaW1020
    Hello everyone! :)

its_cleo, good news that your toe wasn't that damaged and you were able to go for your run. I think the culprit for my newest ankle injury is a new pair of flip-flops that I've been wearing. They are super comfy but yesterday while shopping my ankle started to really hurt again. I'm going to experiment and find out for sure. :)

@TrishasTime, you are so right that it is about my behavior that will determine my outcome. I allowed my behavior to revert to the old me while I was away and it didn't make me happy at all. Next time I'm going to try hard to remember that. Please feel free to help me remember! ;) Good to hear that your foot held up to doing some exercise!! :)

@trooworld, girl I'm sending you a virtual (((((Hug))))! Just keep plugging along and you will get there. Are you going to rent a truck to move the big stuff? Can you bribe someone with food or beer to come help?

@theslightedgeforever, Woooohooooo a size 12 jeans and in white too! You are a rock star!! And who cares about vanity sizing. That tag on your butt says size 12 so you are in a size 12. B)B)B)

Well, I faced the scale yesterday at WW and I was up 2 lbs exactly. NOT what I wanted to see!! The problem for me was that since I didn't have a scale at home I had no idea how much I had gained or how much I took off the last 6 days being back on my plan. I had to do a little whining and threatening but hubby gave me back my scale! What we won't be doing is having him as my daily accountability partner. He can know the Tuesday number and anything else I might choose to tell him. :p
  • trooworld
    @TrishasTime We are getting the moving truck today at 10am and the movers are coming at 11am. We are storing the loads of stuff wherever they go (the clothes in the bedroom, the camping stuff in the spare bedroom, kitchen stuff in the kitchen etc.).

@theslightedgeforever Oh my gosh! A size 12??? Wow! Congrats!!! That's phenomenal! You might be right about it being easier to move across country. I just know I'll be glad when this is over, I'm so tired and sore.

@TeresaW1020 Thank you! Yes, we are renting a big truck (well, a 10' truck, I didn't want to drive too big of a truck lol) at 10 this morning. We also rented 2 guys from the UHaul site for a couple of hours, so we do have some help. We couldn't do it without help, that's for sure! Although we have moved a lot on our own. I'm sorry about the gain, but I'm sure you will get that off in no time.

Hello all! We met another new neighbor yesterday, a very nice man that lives there with his wife and kids. He says the complex is very quiet, which is good to hear. The other day, we met a man and his young daughter that said the same thing. I'll be glad for the end of the day when we are all moved in. My shoulder is hurting and my body is aching. But the good news is my step count is good!

EMPOWERED.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 I bet that would have been a popcorn event watching you and hubby discuss the return of the scale. lol I do better with daily weigh ins. I've tried both. Last year on vacation I gained 10. Not doing that this year. I've been here a week and I'm right where I should be. So now onto the next week. My hubby was saying that I spend all year trying to take off the vacation weight only to put it back on the following year. Yes that has been my pattern, but that's why I have this maintenance plan this year, I tell him. I also tell him worry about his own vacation weight. Why I had salad last night for dinner. To balance out the box of Whoppers I ate during the afternoon.

@trooworld Its almost over. But of course the unpacking starts. The fun part is that can take as long as you want it to. That's the size of the UHaul that we've reserved for my dd. We're just putting her stuff in a storage site in MN until we figure out where she's going to live. We're looking at places now on the internet but want to see the areas ourselves. Traffic, etc.

I walked for 30 min this morning with hubby. Sat and watched the ducks for a while.
  • TrishasTime
    GM everyone

@Teresaw2010 - Goodness me wow you are strong to let your DH be your accountability partner to see the scales or know the weight - the only time I let my DH know how much I weighed was when I brought him to my WW meeting when I was presented with LTM certificate which stated how much I lost. He then proceeded to tell everyone - lesson learnt for me

@theslightedgeforever - You made me laugh re your DH comment about vacation. As to DD - if only we could put our mature heads on their body for just 5 min, so they could see the lessons we have learnt so painfully. Truthfully, do young people living on their own, ever eat well for longer than a day? What is MN>>

@trooworld - It is coming to an end :) When I said moving truck, I meant the company brings their own moving truck. What you are doing is great, just think of the calories burnt. You know once you hand back the keys - you are done.

I went for a 30 min walk twice yesterday and my ankle hurt keeping me awake last night - so I will pullback today. I have ordered 2 more Leslie Sansone DVD as winter is coming and I do not want to be in a position where I could fall on slippery things

Take care
  • TrishasTime
    GM everyone who passes by

Raining here in Aus.... Went over with Pizza last night (well let's face it - added a whole extra day of eating). Still back at it today

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trishastime I'm glad I made you laugh. It's good medicine. I hope my dd figures out the healthy eating thing. She's lived alone for 10 years and I don't see that changing. Like I told her her 20's are almost gone and then it will be 30's and before she knows it the 50's are here. MN is the abbreviation for Minnesota. It's a state up in the north next to Canada. It's 1235 miles from here. Did you know that you can view Leslie Sansone workouts on YouTube for free? Was the pizza good? So back on your program.
  • trooworld
    @theslightedgeforever Well, the owner of the moving crew told us TWICE, "You should have gotten a bigger truck so you could have made one trip and paid us less" well, I'm not comfortable driving those big trucks and my husband isn't even comfortable driving a car let alone a big Uhaul thank you! I'll pay you whatever you want to move me! lol We ended up paying them 4 hours of labor...it wasn't cheap, but we couldn't have done it without them. I hope you find the right place for your DD, I'm sure you will. Location is important. Your walk sounds relaxing.

@TrishasTime Oh, no, they didn't bring a moving truck, just 2 bodies lol! My body must have burned a lot of calories because it is still screaming at me. I am terribly sore. My knees feel like they are going to pop. I love Leslie Sansone DVDs. Go, Trisha!

Hello all. I'm slowly unpacking the condo. Lots to do. You would laugh if you saw my "meditation/yoga studio" now...I wouldn't even fit in there to do either activity because we decided not to get a storage unit so we put everything that was in the garage into there. Until we organize it, it's a mess! I've been eating garbage, I can't wait until I unpack everything and can actually cook something. It's so peaceful here, except for the noise from the freeway (we live right by a major freeway), I haven't heard a peep from my neighbors. And the neighbors that we have met are super nice. We love it so far!

EMPOWERED.