Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eggs are Bad Again

Replies

• Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    The study also states that the link to eggs being "bad" is often associated with what is eaten with them. Traditional western diets that include eggs often have a fair serving of saturated fat and sodium associated with the eggs (bacon, sausages, steak, fried potatoes, buttered toast etc.).

I eat eggs regularly, usually hard boiled, by themselves or mixed with olive oil based mayonnaise and my blood cholesterol is fine, even though mine is treated with statins due to a genetic condition. I just tend to eat them without saturated fat.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I need to cut my 3x-a-week breakfast with 2 eggs (no yolk) and bacon. I blame this for my high 174 total cholesterol.

174 is normal. It's over 200 when you should maybe do something.

By medical current standards, you are correct. Except that about 1/3 of heart strokes are in people with total cholesterol ranging 150-200. You almost never see heart strokes in people with total cholesterol below 150. This is where I want to be.

A couple of years ago my cholesterol of 139 was flagged on my results as too low... that lab said total cholesterol was supposed to be between 140 and 200. Seems like 140-150 is a very narrow result to be shooting for.

Low cholesterol is where strokes seem to happen. :(
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3299064/
    Not stroke, but a particular kind of stroke, intracerebral hemorrhage. Ischemic stroke is strongly associated with dyslipidemia and statin therapy is still advised as a potential preventative for it:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4774119/
    Given the relative prevalence of heart attack (not sure what heart stroke is) plus ischemic stroke versus prevalence of ICH, it is probably still a better average health outcome to have a lower cholesterol. It also seems ICH is influenced by blood pressure and low and high BMI, particularly both combined, so tackling those in comparison to trying to have a high cholesterol seems a better preventative.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited May 2019
    ytx540vbl8rk.gif

We have eggs on the dark side
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    JB1775 wrote: »
    Three to four eggs a week huh? I eat 3/day. Maybe I should cut back. Just to save some money.

I dunno what you pay for eggs. I was getting a dozen for $0.48, they have gone back up to a more typical $0.88/dozen here.

Eggs are one of the cheapest sources of protein and IIRC the most bio available protein to humans.

10 eggs around here cost $5.90 (not organic...)

By far not the cheapest protein source you can find here. I am a smidgen jealous at your prices.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Derpes wrote: »
    ytx540vbl8rk.gif

We also have cookies. So, really, it's a win-win.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    JB1775 wrote: »
    Three to four eggs a week huh? I eat 3/day. Maybe I should cut back. Just to save some money.

I dunno what you pay for eggs. I was getting a dozen for $0.48, they have gone back up to a more typical $0.88/dozen here.

Eggs are one of the cheapest sources of protein and IIRC the most bio available protein to humans.

10 eggs around here cost $5.90 (not organic...)

By far not the cheapest protein source you can find here. I am a smidgen jealous at your prices.

Non organic would be about $1.79/dozen here, no discount/special.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Derpes wrote: »
    ytx540vbl8rk.gif

We also have cookies. So, really, it's a win-win.

I've eaten many cookies lately.

Made from scratch.

With Eggs.

Triple win. B)

Ooooo win-win-win. I feel like we're in Las Vegas. :)

(Also, a client just brought us homemade chocolate chip cookies and I may have over done it. And they were NOT small either.)
  • Katie0520B
    Katie0520B Posts: 3 Member
    It kills me when these people say that cholesterol in eggs is bad for you buy then go and eat a piece of chicken. Face-to-Palm moment of the day.
  • lemurcat2
    Katie0520B wrote: »
    It kills me when these people say that cholesterol in eggs is bad for you buy then go and eat a piece of chicken. Face-to-Palm moment of the day.

Why? I don't actually buy that dietary cholesterol is bad for most of us, but eggs have way more than chicken (chicken is reasonably low -- 100 g of chicken breast with skin has 64 mg). 2 eggs (also about 100 g) would have fewer calories, but 372 mg of cholesterol, and about 1.2x as much sat fat (2.67 g vs. 3.13 g).

Before you woo: I am not saying eggs are bad for us, I am not convinced that is true at all.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I dare them to come between me and my eggs. I double dog dare them. 😤
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited July 2019
    The only question I have is -- fried or scrambled ?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    ecjim wrote: »

I just had scrambled. So good.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    I eat at least two duck eggs a day - here in the UK, eggs are considered close to a nutritionally optimum food ! My cholsterol was also summarised as 'excellent' last time it was checked.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    ecjim wrote: »

Fried - soft yolk !
  • I haven't read everything in this thread. I was eating very junkie for a while and had high cholesterol my last blood test. I cut it back to pretty much a diet of Chicken vegetables rice with occasionally almonds and bananas for snacks. The only thing I'm questioning is my brother-in-law gave me a recipe for a morning omelette that has half a cup of egg whites and one whole egg in it. I don't eat the Omelette every morning, because I don't always have time for breakfast, but The Omelette is the only food I eat for breakfast when I can. Any thoughts or concerns?
  • lemurcat2
    I don't see any reason to worry about it.