Less Alcohol - May 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    My plan for May will be 5AF days per week.

May 01 - AF
    May 02 - AF - planned night out for dinner, drinks, a concert Friday night the 3rd. I am okay with that, I do it seldom.
    May 03 - 1/2 litre of wine + 2 drinks! Off the rails with food too - this happens when we consume alcohol. I had a good time, but it is bad for the waistline.
    May 04 - AF
    May 05 - AF
    May 06 - AF
    May 07 - AF - really felt like having a drink just now, but came on here to record an AF day, which really helped me to abstain.
    May 08 - 3 drinks
    May 09 - AF - I have a deficit of 1900 left for today (very active day), so a couple of drinks would be within range - but - no drinking 2 days in a row, and I am going out tomorrow night and don't want a puffy face and puffy belly.
    May 10 - 3 drinks. The show was sold out that the plan was to go to. Instead, worked my butt off getting the garden going, then fell to what most people are feeling like this time of year, a few drinks on the porch after working hard in the sun. All good.
    May 11 - 3 drinks. Oop, 2 days in a row! Won't be having any over the next few days.
    May 12 - AF - barely going to squeak out my new goal of 5AF days per week.
    May 13 - AF
    May 14 - AF - Almost didn't reach my 5AF per week. Really felt like having drinks but I knew that I needed to be AF to make the goal.
    May 15 - AF - Yet another day where I really felt like having drinks, specifically a Cosmo. I kept delaying until I could talk myself out of it. Turned out well because the San Jose Sharks and St. Louis Blues went into overtime, which would have meant more drinks had I been having drinks.
    May 16 - AF - Tomorrow will be too, but probably not Saturday.
    May 17 - 3 drinks - I completely changed my weekend plans around and ended up watching the hockey game with a few drinks. Not feeling that great this morning, I will need to sweat it out with a good workout.
    May 18 - AF - Hair of the dog probably would have made me feel better - 3 drinks didn't use to affect me this way. Toughed it out.
    May 19 - 3 drinks
    May 20 - AF
    May 21 - 3 drinks. I actually did better when my goal was 4AF days per week, when I often had 5 or 6 AF days per week. I am going to go through May with this goal, but I might bring it back down to 4 for June, I'll see. I went from drinks 7 days per week for 6 months at the start of this, and didn't want to fail by making too huge of a goal for myself. My first goal was 2AF days per week and I progressed. Might not be ready just yet.
    Like I have said in the past, I went from eating ribs weekly (1700 calories for a good feed) to once per month, then once every few months. I am not going to never eat ribs again, nor am I going to cut out having wine with my girlfriends, I am trying to cut back like I did with the ribs.
    I am going away for 5 days where I likely won't have wifi so won't be checking in unless I don't leave until Thursday morning. Not sure if I am going to be having drinks or not while away, likely will be.
    Even after these months, it would be pretty easy to go back to drinks every day...except...for the waistline and puffy face. I really cut drinking back for those visible reasons, and will need to keep it back. Alcohol really does affect the weight and the appearance.

Running total: 14AF days out of 21 days so far - not really reaching my goal.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,516 Member
    Back from vacation from California and practiced planned "mindful" vacation drinking. Wine tasting trip. No hangovers. Actually, the wine was not so good. Very acidic and sour everywhere I went. The days I had 2 mid-day and 2 with dinner, guess what - BLOATING came back. My body is telling me it does not like it........now back to my normal 1-2 a day this week until Saturday which is THE DAY I stop for 30 days (Alcohol Experiment).
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Apparently I forgot to keep track like I intended. I have thought about this daily, but didn't realize how I wasn't logging it....so here I go again.

May 1: Goal 3/Actual 5
    May 2: Goal 3/Acutal <2 (didn't finish it all)
    May 3: Goal open/Actual, 2 wines and aunt & uncles, 3 beers when returned home.
    May 4: Goal open/Actual, 2 wines at lunch with girl friends...…..wayyy over Saturday when returning home (8).
    May 5: Goal 3/Actual 0
    May 6: Goal 3/Actual 5
    May 7: Goal 3 / Actual 4
    May 8: Goal 3 / actual 7
    May 9: Goal 3 / actual 4 beers & 2 wines
    May 10: Goal open / Actual probably one bottle of wine and a couple beers...no counting
    May 11: Goal open / Actual 4 wines
    May 12: Goal 3 / actual 3 mimosa's, wine & beer
    May 13: Goal 3 / actual AF
    May 14: Goal AF / AF.
    May 15: Goal AF / 1 Drink....I mean "drink" "swig".
    May 16: Goal AF / actual 2 1/2 beers.
    May 17: Goal AF / actual 2 or 3 wines and about 5 beers.
    May 18: Goal AF / actual 2 beers
    May 19: Goal AF / actual almost an entire bottle of wine. Got to get the other one out of my house when I have company over.
    May 20: Goal AF / actual AF
    May 21: Goal AF / actual 5 beers
    May 22: Goal AF / actual
    May 23: Goal AF / actual
    May 24: Goal AF / actual
    May 25: Goal AF / actual
    May 26: Goal AF / actual
    May 27: Goal...…..maybe AF......may skip this day, kids' birthdays and Memorial Day
    May 28: Goal AF / actual
    May 29: Goal AF / actual
    May 30: Goal AF / actual
    May 31: Goal AF / actual

@beebva4 Foundation issues in your new house or old house?? Hope it's not a too drastic repair...or costly. Good luck!! Sounds like you've been doing excellent with your choices
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Hi all! I’ve been terrible at logging these last two weeks, and my weight is up. Plus my heart rate monitor broke so I have no idea how many calories I’ve burned through exercise. That, and binge watching shows has rendered me completely unproductive!

Last week I drank every night, especially this past Saturday while hosting a dinner party. My plan of 2 went out the window. So, back to tracking and getting through the feeling of “I’d love a glass of wine” with my seltzer &cranberry.

So Memorial Day Weekend is coming up. It’s such a drink-fest with all the barbecues and parties. I guess we need to treat a holiday weekend like any other day- stick to our plan.
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    May 20 - AF
    May 21 - AF
    May 22 - had a little to drink, it was our cheat day but looking back I wish I hadn't had any because it really didnt do anything except put a bunch of extra cals into my day and dehydrate me this morning.

Wish I knew why I associated casual drinking as a "treat" to myself for not drinking for a while. What do you all do to reward yourself?

Today's goal, AF :)
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    May 1: Goal 3/Actual 5
    May 2: Goal 3/Acutal <2 (didn't finish it all)
    May 3: Goal open/Actual, 2 wines and aunt & uncles, 3 beers when returned home.
    May 4: Goal open/Actual, 2 wines at lunch with girl friends...…..wayyy over Saturday when returning home (8).
    May 5: Goal 3/Actual 0
    May 6: Goal 3/Actual 5
    May 7: Goal 3 / Actual 4
    May 8: Goal 3 / actual 7
    May 9: Goal 3 / actual 4 beers & 2 wines
    May 10: Goal open / Actual probably one bottle of wine and a couple beers...no counting
    May 11: Goal open / Actual 4 wines
    May 12: Goal 3 / actual 3 mimosa's, wine & beer
    May 13: Goal 3 / actual AF
    May 14: Goal AF / AF.
    May 15: Goal AF / 1 Drink....I mean "drink" "swig".
    May 16: Goal AF / actual 2 1/2 beers.
    May 17: Goal AF / actual 2 or 3 wines and about 5 beers.
    May 18: Goal AF / actual 2 beers
    May 19: Goal AF / actual almost an entire bottle of wine.
    May 20: Goal AF / actual AF
    May 21: Goal AF / actual 5 beers
    May 22: Goal AF / actual 3 1/2 beers. Felt cruddy all day from the 5 beers the night before. I am actually gaining SOOO Much from reading the Alcohol Experiment. My thinking towards drinking is changing....at my pace, but changing. Tomorrow night my son and his family will be coming over for game night. I plan to open the one remaining bottle of wine to be shared so I won't drink it all at another time. I want to really keep my drinking to a minimum this weekend and "feel" it, not party through it. I also want to end Monday with 0 of my favorite beers on hand so I can start Tuesday working for 30 days AF. Monday is my children's birthday, along with a very special holiday to me and my family. Memorial Day, the day when we honor my fallen uncle from Vietnam. He was my dad's only sibling, so we pay tribute to him with so much love and admiration.
    May 23: Goal AF / actual
    May 24: Goal AF / actual
    May 25: Goal AF / actual
    May 26: Goal AF / actual
    May 27: Goal...…..maybe AF......may skip this day, kids' birthdays and Memorial Day
    May 28: Goal AF / actual
    May 29: Goal AF / actual
    May 30: Goal AF / actual
    May 31: Goal AF / actual

@dawnbgethealthy You say your not reaching your goal...…..I get that completely, but, when I read your May 21st comments, I am impressed. I don't think I will be able to do partial...…….at least not yet. I thought I could for about a year and never could muster it up. Have a great trip!!

@Womona Glad to see you back! Yes, get past this typical party weekend and get back in the battle with all of our weapons!!

@WinoGelato Enjoy your camping trip...…..all our camp area's are flooded out. Back yard bar-b-que's for us. Can't even take our new boat out...……..sooooo disappointing, but thankful for many other things.
  • mckinlau
    mckinlau Posts: 29 Member
    beebva4 wrote: »
    May 20 - AF
    May 21 - AF
    May 22 - had a little to drink, it was our cheat day but looking back I wish I hadn't had any because it really didnt do anything except put a bunch of extra cals into my day and dehydrate me this morning.

Wish I knew why I associated casual drinking as a "treat" to myself for not drinking for a while. What do you all do to reward yourself?

I’m the same. I’ll be good all week (so far AF Mon-Wed and plan to do so today) then Friday comes and I tell myself I’ve been so good I’ll order take out and get a bottle of wine. I need to find a non-food/alcohol related treat

• globalhiker
    Ideas for handling holiday event parties successfully (especially those that last many hours):
    1) delay the first drink as much as possible
    2) eat food first if you can & drink water or non alcoholic bev to start
    3) engage in conversations with non-drinkers if you can seek them out; get busy doing fun things (playing with kids, pool games, etc)...in other words stay distracted and FAR from the drink table :)
    4) mix your own drinks using half the normal alcohol amt & extra ice
    5) alternate drinks with water or non-alcoholic drinks
    6) if you have lower alcohol drinks or non alcohol drinks you like, bring them to the party

Expect success :)
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    @globalhiker I love the idea of opening a AF account!!

I came to this page this afternoon to say what's on my mind. This is my safe zone.
    But it's kind of hard to do because everyone seem's to be doing so good and have a great day. I love it!!

My co-worker.....once again...…..snapped at me. She has an issue with me, I've been told because I threaten her.....ugghhh stop with the excuses. she's a snobby *kitten*! Thinks she's better then everyone else. I can not tell you how many times I've heard her judgmental comments about others. It's so irritating. So this morning, before I left for break, I was getting up from my chair and she was starting to help a customer at the counter, using a machine that sits next to my desk. She always struggles with it, so she started getting frustrated, as I went by I said, don't hold the button it, it will then shutdown. Pissed her off!!! She steps back, in front the customer and says well you don't think I can do anything so you just do it. OMGoodness!!! So I did, within a second had the screen up and running. But oh boy did that piss me off.
    I've had it. She may talk to her husband and kids that way, but not me. So, I've sat here silent the rest of the day. I know it makes the other two … well maybe only one.....uncomfortable, but *kitten*! I don't deserve to be talked to like that. She's the same co-worker that a couple of months ago I said rolled her fingers at her ears looking at me saying coo-coo. Ughhh……...so why am I ranting here and blowing up at you all good people...……...because I WANT WINE!! I am trying to reprogram my mind...…..I don't want to feel like crap tomorrow. I have other good things I can do at home to take care of myself. Company is coming tomorrow, focus on that. Breathe...………
    Thanks ya all for listening. She retires by the end of the year...………….ahhhh………...deep breathe ;)
    Have a great evening.
  • globalhiker
    Oh I hear you so loud and clear. Toxic people drive me to drink and I have a few in my life. You are doing the right thing by putting your thoughts down and you have kind hearted people just like you listening and understanding. Hope you have a good weekend, too!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Started the June thread while I had time today.

Sorry it's a bit early!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10745795/less-alcohol-june-2019-one-day-at-a-time
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    beebva4 wrote: »
    May 20 - AF
    May 21 - AF

I can't speak for you but my answer to that is that it wasn't really a treat it was just another flimsy excuse to do what I wanted to do. I wanted to feel better about it so I gave it a reason. It didn't have to be a great one because, after all, I wanted to drink. I had a lot of noise in my head that was mostly lies to keep me distracted. Once I started realizing what they were it helped me to turn the corner.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Ideas for handling holiday event parties successfully (especially those that last many hours):
    1) delay the first drink as much as possible
    2) eat food first if you can & drink water or non alcoholic bev to start
    3) engage in conversations with non-drinkers if you can seek them out; get busy doing fun things (playing with kids, pool games, etc)...in other words stay distracted and FAR from the drink table :)
    4) mix your own drinks using half the normal alcohol amt & extra ice
    5) alternate drinks with water or non-alcoholic drinks
    6) if you have lower alcohol drinks or non alcohol drinks you like, bring them to the party

Expect success :)
    Great advice!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    I really wanted a drink just now after a day or running errands, and being upset about my son’s bad day of social awkwardness. My husband’s flight is delayed, and I had to call my late father’s friend to advise of his death a few months ago. It’s only 6:00 PM on A beautiful Memorial Day weekend, perfect time for wine. I’m glad I subbed out an AF drink so I can sleep better tonight. I’ll have one later when hubby gets home. The earlier I start, the more I drink! Then I wake up in the middle of the night.

@AbandondedKSCharger that woman sounds like such a nightmare! Misconstrued being helpful for ... who knows what. Clearly she is a miserable person, but you can’t bring that to work. My favorite line I’ve ever heard is “You don’t get to talk to me that way”. Usually shuts people up.
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Hello everybody! I’ve been away from MFP for a while, but have slowly been introducing new changes to my lifestyle. Last year around this time I adopted a keto/fasting way of eating and was really successful in the beginning because I didn’t drink hardly, but my boyfriend started drinking again, friends all drink, family drinks. I still take it pretty easy but I know it totally stalls my progress. Beginning of May I started a no dairy, no sweetener, no nuts challenge and it’s definitely worth it. If I can stick to limiting alcohol, I’ll feel amazing!