Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Replies

• MrsBradyBunch
    MrsBradyBunch Posts: 182 Member
    hiimok wrote: »
    Ahh, concern trolling is such a real thing. My dad thinking I'm starving myself when I opt for a soup, my friends trying to force me to eat the pizza or the chocolate (even when I'm full) and it annoys me so much.

I very often rant about that topic. And probably will again.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Hey, I have Raynaud’s too! In my case I probably inherited the predisposition from my father. But I don’t love the way the break room at work gets cold enough to trigger it in winter...

Also, so cold. All the time. When will summer come?
  • MrsBradyBunch
    MrsBradyBunch Posts: 182 Member
    I was just plain freezing tonight. So cold I wondered if I was getting sick. We have an electronic thermometer that will check both body and room temperature. Well, my own body temperature was normal, so I flipped the switch on it to check the room temperature. Hubby predicted it would be around 70. (Fahrenheit. Would be about 21 Celcius.) Sure enough, it came out to 72. I felt like it was at least 20 degrees colder than that.

Poured myself some hot herbal tea, turned on the heat lamp in the bathroom, and ran hot water for a soak. Put on my winter gown and robe afterward. It did help some.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    5) Food repetition - I can't be the only one that gets into easy to fix and easy to log routines.

6) Grieving for the the loss of carefree eating - this one I am mostly over but it took a long time

So much yes on these.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I was just plain freezing tonight. So cold I wondered if I was getting sick. We have an electronic thermometer that will check both body and room temperature. Well, my own body temperature was normal, so I flipped the switch on it to check the room temperature. Hubby predicted it would be around 70. (Fahrenheit. Would be about 21 Celcius.) Sure enough, it came out to 72. I felt like it was at least 20 degrees colder than that.

Poured myself some hot herbal tea, turned on the heat lamp in the bathroom, and ran hot water for a soak. Put on my winter gown and robe afterward. It did help some.

I am still well insulated. My OH and I were having coffee (him) and tea (me) on the patio and I had to go in because I was hot. It was 72 (and humid.) Hot tea really warms me up. I'm going to switch to room temperature tea shortly, but we are still in that in between time when the AM temperatures fluctuate wildly.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Is there redness and a burning sensation at times or mainly really cold hands?

I would urge all of us who at some point of time developed cold hands to examine our size and length of deficit and consider adaptive thermogenesis which is sometimes partially expressed by lower core temperature and lower resting heart rate.... and cold limbs.

Re-feeds and diet breaks while on a deficit and extended maintenance at calories high enough to almost be at the point of causing weight gain (as opposed to almost low enough to cause weight loss) MAY help mitigate.

Generally speaking my hands are no longer as cold as they were when losing and when I first started maintaining, and no longer a problem or concern.

But if I remain inactive for unusually long, or hit a large enough deficit, I start feeling cold and this includes freezing hands!

@PAV8888 I've been in maintenance for almost 2 years and last winter was worse than when I was losing. Even in summer, they can be cold as they can be when I am active. Then again I have the worst case of Raynaud's that my doctor has seen because I'm special like that.

I guess it varies. I generally do not have cold hands (or body), I'm pretty well-regulated I guess. But if you google Raynaud's and see the whitish/yellow partial fingers, that's what happens to me. They feel slightly numb and cold to the touch but not painful. It lasts from 5-20 minutes. Honestly for me it is more of a cosmetic concern as others show alarm and ask questions. This began the fall/winter season following the bulk of my 130 lb loss, and hasn't diminished even as I've maintained for years. I'm grateful it also hasn't worsened. Mine's never red or painful, just the whitish yellow weird appearance. It's mostly during cold weather but does happen occasionally in other months when I drink a lot of cold beverages quickly.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited May 2019
    whmscll wrote: »
    I’ve always found it much harder to shop for small sizes, like 2 or 4 (back in my much younger days, LOL). Stores stock more of the “average” sizes (8-12) because that’s what sells best. I was lucky if I found something cute in my size and I could never wait for it to go on sale because the store would have only ONE in my size. Some clothing catalogs don’t even carry size 6. It’s a problem with being smaller than the “average” (overweight) American woman these days.

I would have thought this was untrue in the past but honestly I believe it. Especially when vanity sizing puts me (definitely a size 10/12) in an 8...I wonder what all the genuinely small, thin and/or petite ladies do if today's 00 is yesterday's 2.