Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    My knees and ankles are offset when side-sleeping too. I tend to sleep on my back a lot (I have a good mattress, and two different pillows depending on how my neck feels.)
    I find that now that I'm a smaller size, I can afford wonderful designer clothes made for tall people in small sizes at thrift/consignment stores.
    When I don't buy designer, I find that all sleeves and pant legs are too short. I'm 5'8" and 132 at goal (just bumped up a bit due to some medication right now, but getting it back to my 5 year maintenance weight again). I am quite fine boned so this isn't as low as it sounds... my feet are 8.5 AA and I can just circle my wrist with pinkie to thumb tip.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    The one thing I miss about being bigger is space. Before, I would ride the subway and people would give me a bubble because apparently being bigger meant I needed more breathing room.....now they practically grind up against me and squish by me as if there is so much room to play with 😥😥😥

YES! I have experienced this too. I seriously had no idea people were giving me so much extra berth in the past and now I feel (even after being relatively the same size for nearly 6 years) like my personal bubble is not big enough anymore!?

I also find that people (strangers, randoms) touch me more and it's not a good thing. Like if I am just in a store shopping female clerks will pet my hair (!?) or touch my shirt or whatever and say "ooh that's cute" and that legit NEVER happened to me until I lost weight. I'd kind of prefer people not touch me unless I expect it - like a hug from a close friend or of course my spouse.

That would drive me mad @seltzermint555 -- the touching thing. Maybe it's regional? No one here is touching me, thank goodness! Or maybe I've perfected my "I'm not social today" face. XD

Now, while people don't *touch* me randomly, I have caught them trying to squeeze my personal space. I've gotten good at the stretch and elbow jab. Weight loss has given me some super pointy elbows and I know how to use 'em! :smiley:

Oh yeah I do think this happens a lot more "at home" (smallish city a little further south) than when I'm traveling in other areas. And I unfortunately seem to be very approachable because I'm always the one people come to with their question, problem, etc...always asked for help by customers in stores where I do NOT work, haha.

I have learned to work a little harder to keep my personal space though, I will very openly back up from a person who is standing way too close to me. It's so weird.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Being freezing cold, ALL the time. My hubby will be peeling layers off complaining about the heat, and I'll be in a sweatshirt and under a blanket crying about how cold our house is.
    This one is more of a weightlifting issue than a losing weight issue. But finding jeans that fit your butt AND your waist. I usually have to go up a size or two or they're so tight on my behind that I can barely walk. And then the waist ends up so loose that it sags, or I'm forced to wear a belt and somehow end up with a weird little muffin top where I don't even have one.
    Sitting is not as comfortable as it used to be. I find that my kayak is less comfortable, my bike, sitting on the ground, everything. Unless I have a pillow under my butt, I'm going to be shifting my weight constantly.

• HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited June 2019
    Posted in wrong thread, sorry!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »
    The one thing I miss about being bigger is space. Before, I would ride the subway and people would give me a bubble because apparently being bigger meant I needed more breathing room.....now they practically grind up against me and squish by me as if there is so much room to play with 😥😥😥

Another thing is proper fitting clothing. I am a conservative female who likes to be covered...I am not hiding I just don't like showing off everything outside of a beach but the smaller I get the fewer material on clothing I seem to find.

Yes it's hard to find tops with sleeves instead of those stupid little "caps" that don't cover your arm, and shorts that don't show everyone your business. I've bought mens shorts before because the legs were longer.

Gap and old navy carry full tees and longer shorts

Thanks for letting me know. :)
    I like these Red Bubble relaxed Tshirts a LOT. :)
    And you can get most any design on them.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/stevenrhodes/works/29239914-timmy-has-a-visitor?cat_context=all-departments&grid_pos=7&p=womens-relaxed-fit&rbs=029ebeb7-c316-4ddf-a79b-28f8b3cc86ad&ref=shop_grid&searchTerm=halloween

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited June 2019
    ogtmama wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »

Another thing is proper fitting clothing. I am a conservative female who likes to be covered...I am not hiding I just don't like showing off everything outside of a beach but the smaller I get the fewer material on clothing I seem to find.

Yes it's hard to find tops with sleeves instead of those stupid little "caps" that don't cover your arm, and shorts that don't show everyone your business. I've bought mens shorts before because the legs were longer.

Gap and old navy carry full tees and longer shorts

Also ..Old navy carries shorts with different inseams or lengths.. 3, 5, and I think 7 or 8 inch inside seams.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Re: Vanity sizing - I was a size 10 most of my life. During that time, my weight varied from 120 to 175. My body changed and grew bigger but manufacturers labeled the clothes smaller and smaller so I was in denial that I was actually getting fat. If I still wear a 10, I have nothing to worry about, right? I have a very old pair of sized 10 jeans that fit me now, at 123, but if I go to the store I have to buy a 4 or a 2. It makes it impossible to shop online because I have no idea what will fit.

Yeah, I am dreading this. I have a ton of clothes in storage from the early-mid 2000s when I was 138 through ~165 lbs. Most will be okay as far as not standing out as "old", but when they wear out? If I finally succeed in my weight loss and maintenance endeavors now that determination has shown up to the party, I will be adrift in a sea of new clothes sizing I don't understand as I missed the whole vanity sizing thing. I missed it because I have bought used/old stock clothes off of ebay as I've gained weight that are from circa early to mid 2000s as well so the sizing is still the same scale I've always known. But I can't dress like that forever 'cause that would be weird. And I can't exactly wear nylon shorts/skirts/pants/tops from outdoor companies who never adopted vanity sizing for business attire. And let's be honest; it will be hard for me to justify buying off the rack new and giving up on online shopping after so many years of perfectly good discounted clothing.