Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited June 2019
    mitch22098 wrote: »
    Low energy is the worst thing for me. Even with coffee I'll need to take a nap.

I wish this was an issue for me! I thought the diet and extra exercise would help my sleep as I haven't slept a solid 8 hours since early high school. I still haven't.

Have you been checked for apnea? A lot of people wake up too often because they stop breathing constantly. Weight issues can be a factor.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    smantha32 wrote: »

I wish this was an issue for me! I thought the diet and extra exercise would help my sleep as I haven't slept a solid 8 hours since early high school. I still haven't.

Have you been checked for apnea? A lot of people wake up too often because they stop breathing constantly. Weight issues can be a factor.

I did, but that was 60 pounds ago. I apparently had a mild case, but I assumed the weight loss would have taken care of it as well. Sigh.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

I did, but that was 60 pounds ago. I apparently had a mild case, but I assumed the weight loss would have taken care of it as well. Sigh.

I would have thought losing weight would have fixed it too, but maybe not.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2019

Unfortunately, since OSA can have multiple factors contributing to it, weight loss doesn't always fix it. I still have it after losing 60 pounds. On the positive side, though, I use CPAP religiously and get great sleep.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Weight loss (down to BMI 20 at one point, from obese, now at 22) didn't fix my apnea. And apnea treatment (CPAP) didn't fix my sleep interruption insomnia: Still woke up every 90 minutes or so, all night, every night. Treatment made me sleep a bit more soundly for the 90 minutes, and that's about all. Weight loss reduced the apnea severity slightly.

(Lost weight despite that sleep situation, BTW; despite menopause; despite being older (59-60 while losing); despite being severely hypothyroid . . . .)

So you're saying you still sleep poorly? Maybe we're just the kind of people that require less sleep now?
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Weight loss (down to BMI 20 at one point, from obese, now at 22) didn't fix my apnea. And apnea treatment (CPAP) didn't fix my sleep interruption insomnia: Still woke up every 90 minutes or so, all night, every night. Treatment made me sleep a bit more soundly for the 90 minutes, and that's about all. Weight loss reduced the apnea severity slightly.

I’m experiencing something similar... I have no issue falling asleep but I wake up ever 90 minutes or so. So frustrating!

I had severe sleep apnea (my AHI was over 120). After losing a bunch of weight, my obstructive apneas have virtually gone away but I still am experiencing hypopneas and some central apneas. I still use my BiPAP, but I usually mindlessly take the mask off in the middle of the night during one of the many awakenings. The lack of quality sleep is catching up to me. Wish I could figure this out... the sleep doctor I see never mentioned sleep interruption insomnia. Will need to bring that up at my next appointment... thanks @AnnPT77
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    THIS!!!!!!!! All I want is a stupid denim skirt. I’m getting used to showing my “smile line” in shorts. Not happy about it, but living with it. But I’ll be damned if I’ll wear a skirt or dress that shows all the goodies, ya know?

Need a reverse Captain American meme for this, please; I don't understand this reference. What is a "smile line"? The crease where your butt cheeks meet your upper thigh (aka, gluteal sulcus or horizontal gluteal crease) from the rear? Or are you talking about the visible rounding of ones mons pubis (aka, mons Venus) from the front?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    THIS!!!!!!!! All I want is a stupid denim skirt. I’m getting used to showing my “smile line” in shorts. Not happy about it, but living with it. But I’ll be damned if I’ll wear a skirt or dress that shows all the goodies, ya know?

Need a reverse Captain American meme for this, please; I don't understand this reference. What is a "smile line"? The crease where your butt cheeks meet your upper thigh (aka, gluteal sulcus or horizontal gluteal crease) from the rear? Or are you talking about the visible rounding of ones mons pubis (aka, mons Venus) from the front?

Thank you, I'm not sure about this either!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »

Thank you, I'm not sure about this either!

I'm assuming most people in this conversation are talking about the fupa "fat upper pubic area" and lower abdomen/hip area having some weight/excess skin that can cause a rounded look to your lower belly in tight clothing like shorts & skirts. I think that's pretty common especially with weight loss. I don't have too much of an issue with this but get around what I do with thicker less stretchy fabric and properly fitting undergarments. If I were to wear close-fitting & light colored very thin or rayon blend shorts I'd probably have a little issue with it. In higher quality stretch denim or thicker non-stretch pants and shorts, my lower belly is flat as a thinner person's. Just my .02
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Boooo :frowning: Iron supplementation is no fun.

Allegedly (hearsay as I've never used personally), Floradix brand products are supposed to be be gentle on the gastrointestinal tract and not constipating. Or so I read at some point on one health/weight loss forum or another since I bookmarked it in response to someone's post in the event I ever need to look into iron supplements. https://www.florahealth.com/us/product-category/vitamins-minerals/
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited June 2019
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Boooo :frowning: Iron supplementation is no fun.

Allegedly (hearsay as I've never used personally), Floradix brand products are supposed to be be gentle on the gastrointestinal tract and not constipating. Or so I read at some point on one health/weight loss forum or another since I bookmarked it in response to someone's post in the event I ever need to look into iron supplements. https://www.florahealth.com/us/product-category/vitamins-minerals/

That was next on my list to try if this: http://www.feosol.com/about/complete-iron-supplement/ didn't work out. So far, though, it seems far gentler than the others I've tried even on a double dose. If the Feosol isn't effective at raising my iron, though, I'll definitely try a liquid iron next.

I'm pretty low, so it won't be corrected overnight.