Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying, aes1219. That does make sense to me! I know when I was 14 years old I weighed the exact same as I do now, although it was 1990...and the smallest jeans I wore then were juniors 13 and ladies 14. Now I mostly wear ladies 10. Sure there are different cuts, stretchier fabrics, and I am sure my figure has changed some despite being the same weight right now. But I do think that is a sign (like others have mentioned) that TODAY'S size 10 isn't the 1980s or even 1990s size 10.
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My late husband had severe raynauds syndrome. My research suggested changing from cod liver oil (for arthritis) to oil of evening promise. It worked pretty well! I hope it works.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There used to be a chain store in some of the malls that catered to small sizes - it was called something like 3-5-7. Does it still exist?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    There used to be a chain store in some of the malls that catered to small sizes - it was called something like 3-5-7. Does it still exist?

I think the store was 5-7-9 and at least near me I have not seen any in the past few years. They also catered mostly to teenagers so everything was crop tops and short-shorts, it would not be a place to go shop for work clothes or really anything I would want to wear lol
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I was younger and a size 4. I was actually pleased when I gained weight and found my new size, 8 or 10, everywhere. Have you tried Ann Taylor? In my experience the sizes there tend to run small.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I had this problem when I was younger and a size 4. I was actually pleased when I gained weight and found my new size, 8 or 10, everywhere. Have you tried Ann Taylor? In my experience the sizes there tend to run small.

Yes that is the main place I shop Ann Taylor or LOFT, sometimes New York and Company but like I was complaining about they are on the pricier end so I have to wait for sales or coupons. Luckily I have been at maintenance for a few years so I have a decent wardrobe built up, but that took quite a bit of time and when things need replacing or I need something new for a special event it can be rough. You have no idea how many weddings I have worn the same 2 dresses to lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    aes1219 wrote: »
    82EC wrote: »
    I just don’t think it is vanity that manufacturers are catering to by making their clothes sizes bigger to suit the population as it gets bigger. I think it is perfectly fair enough to adapt. I’m not saying that small people shouldn’t be able to get clothes, but I want, as someone who currently takes the biggest size in the shop (even after it has been “vanity sized”) I don’t think there is any shame in wanting clothes that fit. I don’t think “vanity” is the right thing to call it.

Unfortunately, that is what it is called. I truly wouldn't think too much into it. We all want the same thing - clothes that fit. At least there are plus sized stores available, I don't know of any stores that are for smaller than average individuals. I understand not everyone wants to have to shop at a separate store and I don't think that is how it should be, but at least there are stores available. I might have to resort to shopping online with stores that don't vanity size and just hoping something fits.

It is unfortunate our society as a whole is getting bigger, but I don't think that is going to change any time soon. I just read an article that women in American weight, on average, 18.5 percent more now than in 1960. Our health as a society is going to continue to suffer as our weight continues to increase. I can completely understand your point regarding vanity sizing becoming a necessity to keep with our growing population. Maybe someone will open a store for smaller individuals if there is going to be a gap in available clothing sizes.

The problem with plus size stores is that they cater to women who are shorter than average- when I was in the plus size range I had trouble buying trousers because the legs on the plus size ones were not long enough for me (I am 5”9) as they were clearly designed for someone about average height.

Vanity sizing may be what people call that phenomenon but I think that term is inherently insulting to people who need bigger sizes through no fault of their own and we should find something else to call it that doesn’t put people down.

This was not my experience a few years back at Lane Bryant at all - in fact, the opposite - pants were too long. I'm almost 5'7" and had to buy Petites in jeans.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    RE: Vanity sizing. If you want to for real, on purpose, be shamed as an obese person (or even "just" overweight per BMI) try shopping in an REI brick and mortar store. That'll do the trick every time. The majority of outdoor clothing manufacturer's never adopted the vanity sizing manure and it's nearly impossible to find anything above an "old school" (circa early 2000s) women's size 16 in pants/shorts unless you don't feel humiliated having to shop in the men's department.

Seriously. I'm on the slimmer side of a normal BMI, but have linebacker shoulders (thanks, swimming!) and boobs. Trying to find a running jacket at REI was an interesting experience.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Re: Vanity sizing - I was a size 10 most of my life. During that time, my weight varied from 120 to 175. My body changed and grew bigger but manufacturers labeled the clothes smaller and smaller so I was in denial that I was actually getting fat. If I still wear a 10, I have nothing to worry about, right? I have a very old pair of sized 10 jeans that fit me now, at 123, but if I go to the store I have to buy a 4 or a 2. It makes it impossible to shop online because I have no idea what will fit.

Yeah, I am dreading this. I have a ton of clothes in storage from the early-mid 2000s when I was 138 through ~165 lbs. Most will be okay as far as not standing out as "old", but when they wear out? If I finally succeed in my weight loss and maintenance endeavors now that determination has shown up to the party, I will be adrift in a sea of new clothes sizing I don't understand as I missed the whole vanity sizing thing. I missed it because I have bought used/old stock clothes off of ebay as I've gained weight that are from circa early to mid 2000s as well so the sizing is still the same scale I've always known. But I can't dress like that forever 'cause that would be weird. And I can't exactly wear nylon shorts/skirts/pants/tops from outdoor companies who never adopted vanity sizing for business attire. And let's be honest; it will be hard for me to justify buying off the rack new and giving up on online shopping after so many years of perfectly good discounted clothing.

! 90s is back in and early 2000s fashion is making a come back. Ahhh you are so lucky and smart for keeping them.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I think the store was 5-7-9 and at least near me I have not seen any in the past few years. They also catered mostly to teenagers so everything was crop tops and short-shorts, it would not be a place to go shop for work clothes or really anything I would want to wear lol

Yeah i noticed everything in those type of stores run small. Walmart too if you buy out of the Jr's area. So getting to a size 9.. it's hard to find stuff because a teenage size 9 doesn't fit an adult.
    I did finally find size 9 adult pants on Amazon. yay!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Some of us, especially those of us who live on little money, get tired of having to buy new clothes. I've dropped 14 sizes, and have gone through at least 3 wardrobes. Even thrift store prices get to become a burden. At this point, I'm scouring 25 cent clothing piles at yard sales, and even yard sale leftovers left outside for free because I can't afford even Community Aid's half-off day prices. I'm still working on my body, and I appreciate the positive changes, but they come with a price.

This is something I’m not looking forward to. I’m only 22lb into a 100+lb loss and it’s going to take me a long time so I know I’ll be in each size for a while. I know I’ll be happy about being in a smaller size but not being able to afford nice new clothing will be tough. I’m already looking at skipping the next size down and thinking tracking bottoms, leggings etc. I can’t wear them for work so I’ll just have to take the hit on a few items and wear the life out of them. And I’m dreading buying new bras in each size.

I moaned to my hubby about it just the other day and he said think of the money we’re saving on food! I nearly launched my phone at him. Not that I’d ever say he’s right but it has made me think about putting away a little each week for when I’m ready to size down. And I’m going to check the charity shops each week for good quality pieces even if they’re way too small. Hopefully I’ll only spend the same amount I normally would over the same period.

Good luck on your clothing quest x

With bra extenders I can wear the same bra plus or minus a lot of weight. These come in two hooks and three hooks: https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pcs-3-Hooks-Ladies-Womens-Bra-Extenders-Extension-Expander-Black-White-Beige/440032201?selected=true

e26bf87c-207a-4352-9a51-4ce543ba2cb6_1.d43866de2a2652dba2297aaad784874e.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

But the cups shrink too right?