Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Options

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    For me I definitely noticed being colder. It's kept pretty chilly where I work, and now I need a fleece or jacket all the time.

Less padding issues for sure. I find it more uncomfortable to sit on an unpadded chair or bench. I can't sleep on my side all night without my hip getting sore.

Relationship-wise, I find that people are more likely to try to push food on me that I really don't want. Lots of comments like "Oh, you're skinny, you can eat anything you want", or "You could stand to eat a donut or two".

Interesting all the talk about Raynaud's, which I have as well. My doc told me it's pretty common (she has it too), and didn't mention that it might be connected with weight loss. I lost about 40 pounds, so not the 100+ that others are talking about. But, thinking about it, I guess the symptoms did start around the time I lost the weight.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i dunno how you skinny people can sleep on your sides. my knees kill me now if i do, the bones keep rubbing together.

I tuck the blanket between my knees. ;)

Yes, pillow in the knees. I also do a stuffed animal for the shoulder area because I like sleeping on my side but it feels very empty between my arms now. Not so much chest anymore for cushion.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @reversemigration have you seen your doctor about possible Reynauds?

I haven't, but it's a good idea to bring up at my next well check! Self-management seems to work pretty well - being a little more careful about wearing appropriate clothes, etc. Also, knowing me, I'll probably forget about it until next winter. :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i dunno how you skinny people can sleep on your sides. my knees kill me now if i do, the bones keep rubbing together.

I'm not skinny, but when I sleep on my side I put a thin pillow between my knees :)
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind dresses, wrap dresses are quite friendly to weight changes. Pretty much the only dresses that have survived so far have been wrap dresses, second being ones I can belt at the waist.

I haven’t worn a dress since my wedding but maybe the new me will like dresses :smile: thanks for the fab idea.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The clothing this has been terrible for me this time. I have dropped 4 sizes, but a lot of it came from my hips and so when pants did not fit they were actually falling off. I am still not sure if I am in my final size. Learning not to focus on the imperfection has been a challenge. I still feel bigger, but I looked at some progress photos objectively the other day and I really was able to see reality. The sagging skin is also terrible. I am on target to lose 40lbs total, but my skinis saggy. I know some of this will improve with time, but patience is hard.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    The clothing this has been terrible for me this time. I have dropped 4 sizes, but a lot of it came from my hips and so when pants did not fit they were actually falling off. I am still not sure if I am in my final size. Learning not to focus on the imperfection has been a challenge. I still feel bigger, but I looked at some progress photos objectively the other day and I really was able to see reality. The sagging skin is also terrible. I am on target to lose 40lbs total, but my skinis saggy. I know some of this will improve with time, but patience is hard.

If I didn't have belts...which ironically also need to have new holes punched into them, it would be like a 1940s, pants falling down comedy up in here.
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The one thing I miss about being bigger is space. Before, I would ride the subway and people would give me a bubble because apparently being bigger meant I needed more breathing room.....now they practically grind up against me and squish by me as if there is so much room to play with 😥😥😥

Another thing is proper fitting clothing. I am a conservative female who likes to be covered...I am not hiding I just don't like showing off everything outside of a beach but the smaller I get the fewer material on clothing I seem to find.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    The one thing I miss about being bigger is space. Before, I would ride the subway and people would give me a bubble because apparently being bigger meant I needed more breathing room.....now they practically grind up against me and squish by me as if there is so much room to play with 😥😥😥

Another thing is proper fitting clothing. I am a conservative female who likes to be covered...I am not hiding I just don't like showing off everything outside of a beach but the smaller I get the fewer material on clothing I seem to find.

Yes it's hard to find tops with sleeves instead of those stupid little "caps" that don't cover your arm, and shorts that don't show everyone your business. I've bought mens shorts before because the legs were longer.

Gap and old navy carry full tees and longer shorts
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

YES! I have experienced this too. I seriously had no idea people were giving me so much extra berth in the past and now I feel (even after being relatively the same size for nearly 6 years) like my personal bubble is not big enough anymore!?

I also find that people (strangers, randoms) touch me more and it's not a good thing. Like if I am just in a store shopping female clerks will pet my hair (!?) or touch my shirt or whatever and say "ooh that's cute" and that legit NEVER happened to me until I lost weight. I'd kind of prefer people not touch me unless I expect it - like a hug from a close friend or of course my spouse.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options

YES! I have experienced this too. I seriously had no idea people were giving me so much extra berth in the past and now I feel (even after being relatively the same size for nearly 6 years) like my personal bubble is not big enough anymore!?

I also find that people (strangers, randoms) touch me more and it's not a good thing. Like if I am just in a store shopping female clerks will pet my hair (!?) or touch my shirt or whatever and say "ooh that's cute" and that legit NEVER happened to me until I lost weight. I'd kind of prefer people not touch me unless I expect it - like a hug from a close friend or of course my spouse.

That would drive me mad @seltzermint555 -- the touching thing. Maybe it's regional? No one here is touching me, thank goodness! Or maybe I've perfected my "I'm not social today" face. XD

Now, while people don't *touch* me randomly, I have caught them trying to squeeze my personal space. I've gotten good at the stretch and elbow jab. Weight loss has given me some super pointy elbows and I know how to use 'em! :smiley: