Unexpected downsides of losing weight

Options

Replies

• layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've had to get my wedding and engagement rings resized twice. Better than losing them off my finger though.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    Can one lose weight from the nose? I just had to readjust my glasses to stop them slipping off!

I have had to get my glasses adjusted a number of times but I don't think it is just because of the nose. Your whole face is smaller and it doesn't take much loss for things like glasses to sit differently.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Often, perceived "batwings", in women, are at least partly relaxed triceps muscles.

Do your best bodybuilder flex, and be sure to curl your fingers/fist and elevate your elbow well above your shoulder. Focus section by section, and consciously tighten every piece, especially upper arm. If it firms up, it wasn't fat/skin. (Grab it with the opposite hand before flexing, fingertips close to the bone, if you're not sure.) Even quite fit can women have slightly wobbly triceps, when they're relaxed.

Don't be misidentifying nice relaxed muscles as ugly fat or loose sin, and hating on them!

:drinker:

@AnnPT77 Woah. This is a game-changer for me. I thought I might have some "batwing" action (didn't bother me, really, because it's better than what it was), but doing this I realize that that bad boy swinging around is really mostly muscle. Hot diggity dog!

I mean, there's some fat I need to lose, too, but. muscle

Yay: Good news!

Literally, every single time I've walked a woman through this in real life, at least part of what she was identifying as "batwings", "chicken wings", "bingo wings", or some other lamentable thing, was actually relaxed triceps muscles. And the fact that it's somewhat slack or mobile doesn't mean it's necessarily weak, either, just relaxed.

Clearly, some of us have some loose skin or fat there, too . . . but we need to celebrate the muscle part, not lament it.

A (male) powerlifter who taught my first women's weight training class first showed me this.

If they are relaxed muscle, will working them more tighten them ?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I'm practically gaunt in the face and upper body, but still fat in the lower body. People tell me you even out after a couple years but ugh ugh ugh.
    I can also see why people comment and think you've lost too much weight when parts of you are all bones.

Yesss the struggle is real. My husband is slightly freaked out that he can see my ribs for the first time but I'm still not even at the lower end of the bmi. Every lb I have left to lose is from my ribs down... First on, last off.

It's a cruel joke. lol
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    the bummer was I found out I was lowering my metabolism,... i'm on refeed now and not watching the scale. Have already lost 100lbs which I expect to pick up some while my metab resets. I was only around 1,100-1,200 calories intake and didn't realize what I was doing to myself. On the upswing now and redo after my body adjusts metab back up some. BTW: How long will it take to readjust back up? I was on around 1,000 for about 6 months - whereas, my Cutting was supposed to be between 1,184-1,600 depending on which ap you use. Thanks!

If you are talking about adaptive thermogenesis you should start your own thread because it is a subject that only a few people here will have enough knowledge to try and answer your question. I am not one of them. I am aware of it but that is about it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    First I will say that I am not an expert (obviously). I know that starvation mode isn't a thing. But I have a question.

If metabolism is how many calories our bodies burn at rest, and bigger muscles burn more calories at rest, and eating less than the minimum required calories can lower our muscle mass...does it not follow that extreme dieting can lower our "metabolism"?

The solution would obviously be spending time rebuilding our muscle but I just want to make sure my thought process isn't crazy...or maybe it is, who knows
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    First I will say that I am not an expert (obviously). I know that starvation mode isn't a thing. But I have a question.

If metabolism is how many calories our bodies burn at rest, and bigger muscles burn more calories at rest, and eating less than the minimum required calories can lower our muscle mass...does it not follow that extreme dieting can lower our "metabolism"?

The solution would obviously be spending time rebuilding our muscle but I just want to make sure my thought process isn't crazy...or maybe it is, who knows

Bigger muscles do not burn a significantly higher amount of calories so I do not believe it is part of the equation when your metabolism adjusts down slightly.

Fair enough. I just googled it and for 10 pounds of extra muscle you only gain approximately 30 calories burned at rest...not enough for a significant difference. Oh well...it was worth a shot
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I've really noticed the cold thing, and it's a particularly issue with my hands and feet. It has gotten to the point of pain/numbness/blanching in what I wouldn't have thought of as particularly cold weather.

On the other hand, cold feet are my revenge on my wife, who has been using me for her personal foot warmer for the past nearly three decades. :lol:

@reversemigration have you seen your doctor about possible Reynauds?