Calories and carbs

Chic_geek31
Chic_geek31 Posts: 34 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
If weight lost is truly calories in vs calories out. Why are we told to limit carbs and sugars to avoid gaining weight?

I just watched a video of a doctor saying that eating sugar/carbs causes the body to store fat and use sugar for energy.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Personally, carbs and sugar cause me to overeat. My insulin levels will spike after eating a cliff bar or a sugary yogurt. Ultimately, those foods will trigger me to eat more and send me over my calorie goal for the day.
    Everyone is different of course but I try and eat nutrient dense foods and a healthy balanced diet for that reason alone.
    Weight loss IS all about calories but certain foods will put you over your calorie limit or trigger you to over eat.

I also try to eat a nutrient dense diet, and I tend to limit lower nutrient/high cal foods (which if dessert foods tend to have lots of added sugar, as well as fat), but I would never suggest that "carbs and sugar" = less nutrient dense foods or would not be in a nutrient dense diet.

Food that I eat that contribute carbs and sugar (sugar being just a subset of carbs) include vegetables, fruit, beans and lentils, potatoes and sweet potatoes, pulses like peas, whole grains, etc. I find all the foods I listed quite filling, and they certainly don't cause me to overeat.

I think a nutritious diet should also contain good sources of protein and healthy fats, of course (some of which come with carbs, like nuts and olives and avocados for fats, and beans and lentils and chickpeas and tofu or tempeh, etc., for protein, and some of which come with both fats and protein, like plain greek yogurt (I don't consider yogurt a food that causes me to overeat!)).

Generic advice like "to lose weight or avoid gaining you must limit carbs and sugar" is IMO not very informative or helpful or accurate, as weight loss depends on calories and nutrition is about the overall diet and not everyone tends to overeat carbs, especially without fat included.
  • katechris65
    katechris65 Posts: 30 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Personally, carbs and sugar cause me to overeat. My insulin levels will spike after eating a cliff bar or a sugary yogurt. Ultimately, those foods will trigger me to eat more and send me over my calorie goal for the day.
    Everyone is different of course but I try and eat nutrient dense foods and a healthy balanced diet for that reason alone.
    Weight loss IS all about calories but certain foods will put you over your calorie limit or trigger you to over eat.

I also try to eat a nutrient dense diet, and I tend to limit lower nutrient/high cal foods (which if dessert foods tend to have lots of added sugar, as well as fat), but I would never suggest that "carbs and sugar" = less nutrient dense foods or would not be in a nutrient dense diet.

Food that I eat that contribute carbs and sugar (sugar being just a subset of carbs) include vegetables, fruit, beans and lentils, potatoes and sweet potatoes, pulses like peas, whole grains, etc. I find all the foods I listed quite filling, and they certainly don't cause me to overeat.

I think a nutritious diet should also contain good sources of protein and healthy fats, of course (some of which come with carbs, like nuts and olives and avocados for fats, and beans and lentils and chickpeas and tofu or tempeh, etc., for protein, and some of which come with both fats and protein, like plain greek yogurt (I don't consider yogurt a food that causes me to overeat!)).

Generic advice like "to lose weight or avoid gaining you must limit carbs and sugar" is IMO not very informative or helpful or accurate, as weight loss depends on calories and nutrition is about the overall diet and not everyone tends to overeat carbs, especially without fat included.

Umm that is not at all what I was trying to convey. I know if I could eat 1200 calories worth of sugary carbs I would lose weight--im just saying personally, those are triggers that cause me to overeat. I do eat high fiber carbs everyday along with fats-- as I said, its always good to balance.
    I would down a bag of hershey kisses right here and now if it fit my calorie budget.
    And I didnt mean plain greek yogurt (i eat lots of that as well) I said sugary yogurts like chobani flips (ugh theyre so good)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited May 2019
    Tall isn’t obese I tell them I got a app that does measurements it’s what I go by instead of the Doctors.I use dieticians when needed they say he’s fine just tall kid.
    Here’s Shaq measurements
    My son age 2yrs
    Son at 1yr last pic