Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I've never heard of mayo on a hotdog.

Re ketchup: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-08-04-1993216204-story.html
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 343 Member
    edited June 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Re the food in the OP, ick, not my thing. I'm picky about sweets.

Re "polarizing":

I went out to dinner tonight, and my friend and I agreed at great length that marshmallows are one of the worst foods ever, so them too.

marshmallows are also on my least favorite foods list, along with cotton candy, and candy apples.

One of my daughters loves ketchup, mayo, and mustard with pickle relish on hotdogs (chicken dogs in our case) with american cheese. I'm a mustard, american cheese, and pickle relish gal.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Lol, my husband hates these cookies with a passion. I think they're okay. I could take it or leave it.
  • CR_Edwards_2015
    CR_Edwards_2015 Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2019
    I love them! I like to scrape off the icing though and eat the cookie part.

*edited to add that I do not eat them anymore. I don't keep anything in the house that I cannot control myself around. That's not to say that I won't ever eat one ever again. Just count my calories and go on with my life!! :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019

Re "polarizing":

I went out to dinner tonight, and my friend and I agreed at great length that marshmallows are one of the worst foods ever, so them too.

marshmallows are also on my least favorite foods list, along with cotton candy, and candy apples.

One of my daughters loves ketchup, mayo, and mustard with pickle relish on hotdogs (chicken dogs in our case) with american cheese. I'm a mustard, american cheese, and pickle relish gal.

Mustard, onions, and relish for me. Sometimes giardiniera too.

I hate ketchup and only like mayo in specific applications (as an ingredient in deviled eggs or chicken or pasta salad, ideally homemade mayo, or with garlic as aioli or in a tartar sauce, both of which are better dipping options for fries than ketchup).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2019
    I've never heard of mayo on a hotdog.

Re ketchup: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-08-04-1993216204-story.html

I've never heard of mayo either. I always thought ketchup and mustard was the standard hotdog topping everywhere.

I love the lofthouse cookies, but haven't had one in forever. (so who knows if they are as good as I remember) Used to have them all the time as a kid.
  • jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm a cookie addict and used to bake all the time, but even I think those things are gross. They don't have any of the qualities that make a cookie so delightful. Even if I were to go for a cheap, sugar rush I'd end up going for pretty much anything before those.

So yes, I'd say they're polarizing! I guess cookie snobs like me find them offensive to our "connoisseur" sensibilities. :D
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I always have ketchup on hot dogs! Or chicken dogs as the case may be these days. And I eat marshmallows almost every night. :(

The lofthouse cookies aren't worth the calories and the icing sucks so the one time I bought some, I just ended up eating around the outside edge of the cookies and threw the part with any icing away.

And scrambled eggs - ketchup is awesome. Maybe it would make the cookies in the OP a bit better too? :D

I've never had ketchup on eggs but had a friend who couldn't eat them any other way.

I put sugar free maple syrup on mine. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I always have ketchup on hot dogs! Or chicken dogs as the case may be these days. And I eat marshmallows almost every night. :(

The lofthouse cookies aren't worth the calories and the icing sucks so the one time I bought some, I just ended up eating around the outside edge of the cookies and threw the part with any icing away.

And scrambled eggs - ketchup is awesome. Maybe it would make the cookies in the OP a bit better too? :D

I've never had ketchup on eggs but had a friend who couldn't eat them any other way.

I've been known to mix liberal amounts of bacon with my syrup :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Re "polarizing":
    aokoye wrote: »
    Wait - those are polarizing? I thought you were going to say something like mayonnaise, ketchup on hamburgers (or hotdogs), or candy corn. Unless you're talking about the dialectical differences pertaining to whether or not you call what's in the above picture cookies or biscuits.

Heh, I thought it was going to be bread, corn, or potatoes, although ketchup (esp on hotdogs, which is a travesty) and mayo are good ideas, and now that I'm thinking about it, cilantro, of course. Or soybeans.

I totally forgot about the cilantro thing! I'm not sure how I did though...
    And yeah, I'm also picky about my sweets, especially chocolate and baked goods. Though even ice cream....that's perhaps why I eat so little ice cream I suppose.
  • aokoye
    mph323 wrote: »

Re "polarizing":
    aokoye wrote: »
    Wait - those are polarizing? I thought you were going to say something like mayonnaise, ketchup on hamburgers (or hotdogs), or candy corn. Unless you're talking about the dialectical differences pertaining to whether or not you call what's in the above picture cookies or biscuits.

Heh, I thought it was going to be bread, corn, or potatoes, although ketchup (esp on hotdogs, which is a travesty) and mayo are good ideas, and now that I'm thinking about it, cilantro, of course. Or soybeans.

THANK YOU! Until I moved from New York to California I never realized that ketchup on hot dogs was even an option :o

Yeah - there was a reason I included ketchup on my list. I mean I grew up on the West Coast (but have lived on the East Coast), but I've known about that divide in high school maybe. Then again, I also only like ketchup on french fries.
  • aokoye

I've been known to mix liberal amounts of bacon with my syrup :)

When I ate bacon I did as well. I don't know that it's especially uncommon and it makes a ton of sense - sweet and salty.