Do you have any binge trigger foods?

Options

Replies

• alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    For me I have caught on I can’t have chocolate or french fries. I simply can not moderate these foods, for me they trigger a binge usually consisting of 2-3 days eating all in sight. I’ve caught on that if I simply avoid these foods I can stick to my diet fine.

Peanut butter. I’ll kill a jar and not think twice.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mine tend to be from carbs, other than from fruit and veggies--like cookies, candy, ice cream, donuts, etc. If I stay away for a while, then I don't crave them, but if I start, then I crave them to the point it's hard to stop thinking about them.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Nuts and seeds. Or used to be, anyways. Back when if I derailed for the day calorie-wise, I'd keep going since the day was all blown to heck anyways so mind as well eat what I wanted right? - and as a result had several magnificent 12-15K kcal binges. I can and have eaten pounds of cashews, pistachios, pinyon seeds, etc., without any great difficulty by going back for "single servings" over and over and over ad nauseam. That would be the initial derail leading to a binge once I calculated and entered the damage done. It would have been awesome if they caused GI issues for me, but none of them do. :cry:

Anyways, I don't keep either in quantity in the house anymore dam the money saving deal of buying in bulk and definitely will never again eat as an independent and sole "snack".
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious about what definitions of 'binge' the different responses here are using.

When you say that a food makes you binge, do you mean you finish the packet and go like 500 calories over goal?

Or do you mean that you finish the packet, open a packet of something else because the food craving now has you in its terrible claws and you literally can't stop eating even for a minute, and end up like 5,000 calories over goal and in bed with a painful stomach trying to figure out whether you hope you don't throw up, or hope that you do?

Definitely the latter for me. Once I get started I will just eat all the food - not just all the fopd I have in my hand at that particular time, but all the food. A couple of days ago I was stuffing bran flakes and currants in my mouth, I'm not even that keen on either of those but it was all I could find.

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Doritos. Of all the salty, carb-y snack foods, those demon chips have some fiendish power to kill my healthy eating resolve like nothing else.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    c h o c o l a t e
  • msbridgetteanne
    msbridgetteanne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that triggers me on a regular day, but on a 'free day'--like a celebratory event--kettle chips, snack candies you can grab a handful of (like M&Ms), summer sausage with cheese and crackers... basically any snack foods that are out and about, lol. I don't binge for days, but I will binge for that whole day. You'd think I'd been starving myself up to that point.

It's silly. On any other day, I can eat all of those things in moderation with no problem! But I guess it's a mental thing, where I tell myself, "Well, it's a birthday; I'm not counting today. May as well eat all the things!" And then I just can't control myself, no matter how much my stomach regrets it later.

Just wondering. How many calories do you normally consume on your free days? How often do you have them? I have unwanted binge days where I can go as high as 9000 calories that sabotage every other days calorie limits. Thanks.

For me, a true 'free' day is a day I don't count how many I'm consuming. My own birthday is usually one of them, Thanksgiving, and a few days during Christmastime. I have no way of knowing how far over I go. I would say maybe a couple thousand, probably a lot more during Christmas because of cookies and other goodies. I usually just cut my losses and anticipate a gain those weeks, because trying to make up for it at all during the rest of the week would involve eating too little.

There are other special occasion days where I still count my calories but know I'm going to go over. On those days, I go over anywhere between 500 and 1000 calories. I do what I can to make up for it the rest of the week.

How often do you have binges? Do you know what triggers them?
  • _Paparazzi_
    _Paparazzi_ Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Any food can trigger me to binge eat .
  • hapeximendios
    hapeximendios Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Doritos. Every time.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Peanut Butter.

I manage better with most foods in portion sizes- if I buy a jar, bag or container I measure the entire contents into portion sizes. I would rather have 12 mini cups of something (especially nutbutter and powdered peanut butter) than try to fool myself by keeping an open jar thinking it won't be gone. Usually futile and its gone unportioned in a day or two. Lol
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Brownies
    I have 2 boxes in the cupboard and I'm afraid to bake them because I know I will eat the entire pan. The smell of them baking has me salivating.
  • SugaSugaNooo
    SugaSugaNooo Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sour jellies, the really tangy ones :p
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and chips (fries to US people!)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Did I mention cake, with buttercream icing? I need to mention cake with buttercream icing.

Particularly DISAPPOINTING cake. Apparently if I've blown a load of calories on a treat that didn't even feel particularly treatlike, I will go searching for substitutes...

(Why did I eat the cake if it was so disappointing? Because I didn't want to have to explain to everyone else in the open-plan office why I was throwing away the perfectly OK-just-bland cake made by the nice lady from downstairs...)
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have yet to come across a food that causes me to binge thankfully. Moderation has been working just fine :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Cereal and chips. Sometimes cookies. Snacky foods like that. Occasionally I can moderate them, but typically I just avoid them unless I have chosen to go over my calories for the day.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Doritos. Can’t just eat a handful...I will methodically work my way through the bowl/bag a little at a time until it’s gone. Hence I refuse to buy the Costco size bag, even when it’s on sale for less than a small bag...which I won’t buy either
  • culkin1
    culkin1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Definitely pizza and fried chicken. And keep me away from Donuts. I can make a meal of that.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Biscuits....my evil pals
    Granola....
    Tortilla chips