Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Re the food in the OP, ick, not my thing. I'm picky about sweets.

Re "polarizing":
    aokoye wrote: »
    Wait - those are polarizing? I thought you were going to say something like mayonnaise, ketchup on hamburgers (or hotdogs), or candy corn. Unless you're talking about the dialectical differences pertaining to whether or not you call what's in the above picture cookies or biscuits.

Heh, I thought it was going to be bread, corn, or potatoes, although ketchup (esp on hotdogs, which is a travesty) and mayo are good ideas, and now that I'm thinking about it, cilantro, of course. Or soybeans.

I went out to dinner tonight, and my friend and I agreed at great length that marshmallows are one of the worst foods ever, so them too.

THANK YOU! Until I moved from New York to California I never realized that ketchup on hot dogs was even an option :o

You lived in NY and didnt know that people put ketchup on hot dogs???

BTW, Mayo on a hotdog sounds gross...

Mayo goes on EVERYTHING!!!!

Tacos? Ice Cream? Mashed Potatoes? Nacho Cheese Doritos? Spaghetti and Meatballs?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member

Re "polarizing":
    Wait - those are polarizing? I thought you were going to say something like mayonnaise, ketchup on hamburgers (or hotdogs), or candy corn. Unless you're talking about the dialectical differences pertaining to whether or not you call what's in the above picture cookies or biscuits.

Heh, I thought it was going to be bread, corn, or potatoes, although ketchup (esp on hotdogs, which is a travesty) and mayo are good ideas, and now that I'm thinking about it, cilantro, of course. Or soybeans.

I went out to dinner tonight, and my friend and I agreed at great length that marshmallows are one of the worst foods ever, so them too.

THANK YOU! Until I moved from New York to California I never realized that ketchup on hot dogs was even an option :o

Tacos? Ice Cream? Mashed Potatoes? Nacho Cheese Doritos? Spaghetti and Meatballs?

Tacos get crema, which is very similar to mayo in taste and texture. Ice cream—okay, probably not. Mayo works nicely in potatoes if you don’t have butter or milk. Doritos need ranch, which is made with mayo. Spaghetti and meatballs I haven’t had too often, but would almost certainly need crema and chile flake to add flavor.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member

Re "polarizing":

Hell yeah as a added ingredient for what you listed. Excluding the ice cream lol.

Mayo is everything.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Re "polarizing":

Oh ew. No. Just no.

Agree. (Mayo apparently is a polarizing food.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

Re "polarizing":

I wooed you, sorry not sorry :lol:

I have honestly never seen this brand of cookie. I generally like crisp cookies though, except for those big dark chocolate chewy cookies with the granulated sugar on top. So I would probably not like these, and now I know not to waste money on them if I ever see them!
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Re "polarizing":

Tacos get crema, which is very similar to mayo in taste and texture. Ice cream—okay, probably not. Mayo works nicely in potatoes if you don’t have butter or milk. Doritos need ranch, which is made with mayo. Spaghetti and meatballs I haven’t had too often, but would almost certainly need crema and chile flake to add flavor.

Unlike everyone else here (AFAIK), I could kind of see a scenario where mayo worked, on ice cream. I mean, mayo's egg, a fat (oil), an acid (usually lemon juice, vinegar, or a combination). Ice cream is made with dairy (with fat), sometimes eggs, sometimes lemon juice. I can think of ice cream flavors that could work with the right mayo . . . apple pie, maybe?

Whatcha think? ;)

You tried.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Re "polarizing":

Unlike everyone else here (AFAIK), I could kind of see a scenario where mayo worked, on ice cream. I mean, mayo's egg, a fat (oil), an acid (usually lemon juice, vinegar, or a combination). Ice cream is made with dairy (with fat), sometimes eggs, sometimes lemon juice. I can think of ice cream flavors that could work with the right mayo . . . apple pie, maybe?

Whatcha think? ;)

yidbl7h94tw6.png
    Will have to ask someone who has tried this. (Mayo flavored ice cream in Scotland)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Mom makes cream filled biscuit shells for Christmas and the recipe uses mayo. It gives them an incredible texture. I can see how it would work with ice cream. Maybe it would make it creamier.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

Re "polarizing":

Whatcha think? ;)

You would definitely need the really good mayo; not Hellmann's or similar. Possibly home-made. You're also going to need something crunchy in the ice cream to balance out the textures. But I agree that it could be made to work.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member

Re "polarizing":

Whatcha think? ;)

I'd probably at least give it a try...but then again, it's ice cream. Is there actually such a thing as bad ice cream???
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Nasty. Hard pass, no temptation there.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    What about...

pepperoni-pineapple-jalapeno-pizza.jpg
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    shaf238 wrote: »
    What about...

pepperoni-pineapple-jalapeno-pizza.jpg

Needs ranch. And probably tabasco....but mostly ranch.

Ugh. That looks perfectly good as is, although my youngest would be asking you to pass the ranch lol. She loves the stuff.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I always have ketchup on hot dogs! Or chicken dogs as the case may be these days. And I eat marshmallows almost every night. :(

The lofthouse cookies aren't worth the calories and the icing sucks so the one time I bought some, I just ended up eating around the outside edge of the cookies and threw the part with any icing away.

And scrambled eggs - ketchup is awesome. Maybe it would make the cookies in the OP a bit better too? :D

Ketchup on eggs is great. But gotta love ketchup on mac and cheese.

You need steak sauce on eggs, way better than ketchup! And Tabasco sauce goes on mac and cheese.