June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @shanaber will do! thanks for the tip

I'll have to catch up on the board tomorrow. I've been planning my son's end-of-year party (it consumed most of the past several days) and it's finally tomorrow. thank goodness!

40.5 miles done/39.5 to go
  • NiigataA
    NiigataA Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Elise4270 wrote: »

@NiigataA ouch! My doc thought I had one, sent me for an MRI and was going to sent me immediately for surgery. I'm glad it wasn't one. Just something else, not sure what it was. My dh was in the habit of squeezing my foot when he walked by, only time it hurt. I assume it's better. He no longer squeezes my foot. You gonna have those removed?

The doc is working me through the non invasive options until it gets too bad 🤷‍♀️ I’ve got metatarsal pads in my runners and hiking boots for now. Next step is orthotics and after that will be surgery.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0614-5k total-23.5k, goal-80k

Not doing very well in keeping up with plan or thread. Is summer over yet?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

I don't think it's even started...
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    6-1 7.5k slow
    6-2 11k easy
    6-3 rest
    6-4 7k moderate
    6-5 7k easy
    6-6 rest
    6-7 7k slow
    6-8 9k slow
    6-9 7k easy
    6-10 rest
    6-11 7k intervals
    6-12 7k moderate
    6-13 rest
    6-14 7k easy
    6-15 7k moderate

June Total: 83.5k
    June Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k

Monthly average: 145.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Cloudy and 60 degrees F this morning. Wasn't sure what I wanted to do, because of yesterday afternoon's run. So I just let my legs tell me what they wanted to do.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »

I don't think it's even started...

Depends on what country you go by. In the USA the first day of summer is June 21, but some other countries use different days:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/30/first-day-summer-2019-uk-9738658/
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    16.25 miles this morning. Felt easy for about two hours, but the last 37 or so minutes were pretty brutal. 77F, 85% humidity, 20mph. Only had 12 oz of water on me. Tried to ration it, but when it ran out, and the sun came out, that was pretty much the end.
    And felt weighted down with soul crushing guilt and regret, because I quit my '2nd job' software development contract. I tried to put up with it for 3 weeks, but each day was worse than the last. The knot in my stomach grew bigger every day, and I just couldn't take the stress any longer. I feel like I committed career suicide 😭. But if I would have stayed, it might have been the other kind. Maybe Home Depot is hiring....

exercise.png

Oh man, I feel you on the career agony. For what it’s worth, I genuinely believe that your health is more important than your job - if nothing else, you can’t do a job well if you’re not taking care of yourself. The best move I made in my career was giving up on the idea of a career and settling into “good enough” - a year later doors have started to open that I never would have expected. Sometimes there’s a happy ending, sometimes there isn’t, but either way, you only get this one go-around at life, and spending it mired in stress is no way to live. And heck, if you like talking to strangers about home improvement, maybe a couple shifts at Home Depot would be a good move!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    16.25 miles this morning. Felt easy for about two hours, but the last 37 or so minutes were pretty brutal. 77F, 85% humidity, 20mph. Only had 12 oz of water on me. Tried to ration it, but when it ran out, and the sun came out, that was pretty much the end.
    And felt weighted down with soul crushing guilt and regret, because I quit my '2nd job' software development contract. I tried to put up with it for 3 weeks, but each day was worse than the last. The knot in my stomach grew bigger every day, and I just couldn't take the stress any longer. I feel like I committed career suicide 😭. But if I would have stayed, it might have been the other kind. Maybe Home Depot is hiring....

exercise.png

Oh man, I feel you on the career agony. For what it’s worth, I genuinely believe that your health is more important than your job - if nothing else, you can’t do a job well if you’re not taking care of yourself. The best move I made in my career was giving up on the idea of a career and settling into “good enough” - a year later doors have started to open that I never would have expected. Sometimes there’s a happy ending, sometimes there isn’t, but either way, you only get this one go-around at life, and spending it mired in stress is no way to live. And heck, if you like talking to strangers about home improvement, maybe a couple shifts at Home Depot would be a good move!

MIssed this post first go around but it absolutely sounds like you did the right thing. Such moves are rarely "career suicide" - they typically pass once you get your next job. :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    NiigataA wrote: »
    I have numbness issues fairly commonly as well. I have Morton's Neuroma in both feet. Have you checked out the symptoms for that?

I have not, I'll have to do some googling.
    In the midst of new shoe testing. Ugh. NOT my favorite thing in the world. I don't think the NB 1080s will work out. The Topos did pretty well on Wed, a bit of numbness but it went away in one foot. More numbness on today's test run, but not as painful as the NB's. Blah. I don't even know. I'm gonna give them a few more test runs. I'm very vaguely cautiously optimistic about the Topo's, lol, although I also need to keep adjusting to the lower drop (5mm vs the 10mm of my previous Brooks Glycerins). Def feeling it in my calves on the two test runs on the uphills.

Anywho, it is glorious weather today. Warmer than my ideal running temps still, but 70°F, humidity of only 49%, sunny, but with a glorious breeze. It made me really really really not want to go back inside the office :D

I'm also optimistic about my goal for the month. Just over halfway there and just under halfway through the month.

Have you tried shortening your stride with the lower drop? That foot numbness, I assume, is constant pressure. Shorting it up would allow your knees hips legs to absorb more of impact. Also, if you're not already, take to some trails. I find my stride naturally shortens.

I have shoes I can do on trail but a road race leaves the bottom of my feet numb. I do have nerve damage which can cause that, but I think it's also a normal running experience.

Good luck

The numbness is not a thing unique to lower drop shoes for me. My trail shoes are zero drop Altras, and I don't run a ton in them but they don't make my feet numb. I tend to have a cadence that averages around 172-174, and my last 5k race averaged 180. I also don't heel strike so don't have a super hard strike impact. I can't seem to figure out what exactly causes it but there are just some shoes that do it to me. My beloved previous model Brooks Glycerins never caused numbness! :'( Any time I've looked for new brands/styles of shoes I've run into this struggle, lol. Tis a frustrating puzzle! :s:D

Aww darn it. I was hoping for an easy solution. How about your laces? Are they loose enough?

This. Make sure they are not tight on your foot. If your ankle has pressure it could cause numbness in your feet. But, ultimately, probably just need a different style of shoe. :)

Lol, I actually already lace all my shoes to relieve pressure over the top of the foot and tie loosely
    cycw80l1dsp8.png