I'm craving a whopper talk me out of it.

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    How come no place in the midwest has a Lettice wrapped burger? That would save a good amount of calories wasted on bread. We don't have In and Out's here so that's out of the question.

I live in Chicago (i.e., the midwest) and tons of places will do lettuce-wrapped burgers.

Burgers are also super easy to make.
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What are they putting in a whopper in the US to make it that many calories. I'm in the UK and a whopper is 540 calories, and it's 280 for a medium fries so you can have a whole meal for 820 calories.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    DrusiliaDD wrote: »
    What are they putting in a whopper in the US to make it that many calories. I'm in the UK and a whopper is 540 calories, and it's 280 for a medium fries so you can have a whole meal for 820 calories.

Looks like it's 660 here (US). No clue what the difference is.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Cheese. He had cheese in his list of ingredients which brings it up to 740 :)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Cheese. He had cheese in his list of ingredients which brings it up to 740 :)

I meant the difference between the basic whopper in the US and the UK, as the calories are different.
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Assuming all your logging is accurate (I.e., using a food scale for all your food), your deficit is aggressive for someone with 10 pounds left to lose. 0.5 lb/week is a reasonable pace at this point.
    As for the sandwich, get it tomorrow if you still want it tomorrow, and fit it into your calories.

It’s aggressive because with only 10 lbs to lose, losing at a rate of 1 lb/week risks losing lean body mass instead of fat.
    It’s aggressive because as a 5’2 female I can lose weight eating more than that.

Really? Do you exercise a lot? (I don't).

I'm 5'6 and 135 pounds which is a perfect weight for my height, but to lose weight from now I have to eat a maximum of 1300 calories. If I ate 1500 I think (and according to FP) I'd start gaining again.

Re lean body mass, so as I ideally would like to be 125 pounds, if I lost more than .5 lb a week from now that would be bad? Not that that's happening as I seemed to have plateaued for a few weeks at my current weight eating about 1200 a day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    EmBeatie wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Assuming all your logging is accurate (I.e., using a food scale for all your food), your deficit is aggressive for someone with 10 pounds left to lose. 0.5 lb/week is a reasonable pace at this point.
    As for the sandwich, get it tomorrow if you still want it tomorrow, and fit it into your calories.

It’s aggressive because with only 10 lbs to lose, losing at a rate of 1 lb/week risks losing lean body mass instead of fat.
    It’s aggressive because as a 5’2 female I can lose weight eating more than that.

Really? Do you exercise a lot? (I don't).

I'm 5'6 and 135 pounds which is a perfect weight for my height, but to lose weight from now I have to eat a maximum of 1300 calories. If I ate 1500 I think (and according to FP) I'd start gaining again.

Re lean body mass, so as I ideally would like to be 125 pounds, if I lost more than .5 lb a week from now that would be bad? Not that that's happening as I seemed to have plateaued for a few weeks at my current weight eating about 1200 a day.

I don't exercise a lot, no. Right now I average 10-12k steps/day, even though I have a desk job, which comes from normal activity plus a concentrated effort to meet my step goal. I also do light circuit training 2-3 times/week, and hike some weekends when I'm able to fit it in. At my most active, when I was at the end of weight loss and first in maintenance, I was averaging 15K steps/day and therefore was able to comfortably lose eating around 1700-1900 cals/day. Overall though, I made a concentrated effort to raise my NEAT as I was losing weight so that I ate more at a lower weight than I did before I made up my mind to lose weight, I was just more active in general.

It's generally recommended that with less than 20 lbs to lose, that a person aim for a 250 cal deficit. If you are really sedentary, and that close to goal, it's possible you can't lose more than that anyway without going below the minimum calories for women (1200) but it's likely that you are more active than that.

Usually when someone feels like they've hit a plateau, the first question is "how accurate is your logging?" Are you using a food scale? If not, it's possible (even likely) that you're eating more than you think.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    How come no place in the midwest has a Lettice wrapped burger? That would save a good amount of calories wasted on bread. We don't have In and Out's here so that's out of the question.

I live in Chicago (i.e., the midwest) and tons of places will do lettuce-wrapped burgers.

Burgers are also super easy to make.

Start name dropping please. In the western suburbs
  • dv4der
    dv4der Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Portion Control. If you know a whole whopper is 800 calories. get a smaller burger or eat half of it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    qsqbhcfdbqvm.png

So, 740kcals for a whopper, coming with a lot of mayo, carbs, salt, sugar, all the stuff your inner child craves. Hmmm...

My solution when I want ground beef is to buy some really good grass fed 85% lean ground beef, season with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper and a little salt, grill to taste (medium rare for me), eat with a fantastic salad and baked seasoned sweet potato wedges. The ground beef has about 60kcals per oz. Most often, I can have at least 6oz., still keeping the meal under 600kcals. I find it really hits the spot!

F Burger King and its cheap-assed food!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The idea of smaller portion of your craving is an interesting one.

While simple and easy for many, as a volume eater PORTION is usually PART of my craving. to me the bite is like eating alternatives trying to satiate the craving - it doesn't work. Having 1/2cup of my favorite high calorie ice cream aint gonna cut it on any level. Nor will "one bite" of a high calorie dessert. And sure, much of that is probably mental but it still won't satiate the craving if I try to eat too small a portion.

Which doesn't mean i need to eat the ENTIRE pint/10,000 calories of the item - just find a middle ground of "enough" to satiate but not go crazy overboard.

But I also realize for many others the "one bite" "half a burger" "small part of the food" works. :) And it may for small tiny craving i get but not for full on real craving.
  • _Paparazzi_
    _Paparazzi_ Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Say to you're self I will have it later and when later comes say again later until you don't think about it .
    Trick your brain .
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

I would imagine that because she's not trying to white-knuckle the lowest calorie goal MFP will allow her to set, she doesn't have to worry about getting maximum satiation from every last calorie.

Also, different people find different things satiating, and there are different facets to satiation -- physical (full stomach, sustainable blood sugar, sufficient energy to do whatever it is one does) and mental/emotional/psychological (feelings of deprivation that are unrelated to actually being physically hungry).

That is the crux of the war with myself in losing weight - I often hit physical satiety long before I ever get to mental satiety, and it can be embarrassing just how much food it takes beyond physical satiety to get to mental satiety - and how quickly my mind will start craving food again right after eating that sort of volume!

But that's all in general eating and not particular to a food craving. For cravings, I am one of those people who can satisfy such with a smaller portion or a near substitution, as long as the entire thing isn't there to continually taunt me. So if I'm craving a donut, I can talk myself into a glazed ring instead of a custard filled one and be happy, and if I can find someone to share that donut, half of it will satisfy me. But if the other half continues to be available, I'll fixate on it until I find myself caving in and eating it. This is why I can't keep chips or cookies or anything like that in large, regular packages - I can't limit myself to a single portion if the whole thing is available, or I must partition the whole thing out into individual servings as soon as it gets home; otherwise, I'll find myself continually going back for more until I've had too much in one sitting.

On the topic of lettuce wrapped sandwiches: I think most fast food restaurants will substitute lettuce as requested - it's not necessarily shown as an option on the menu board, but it is available. I do this at Wendy's all the time.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Using the customizer on the American and UK BK sites, the UK's Mayonnaise is magically low in fat - just two grams for adding or taking it off. For the US, it takes 18g's off when subtracting mayo. The beef patty is about 2g's of fat more in the US version.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Using the customizer on the American and UK BK sites, the UK's Mayonnaise is magically low in fat - just two grams for adding or taking it off. For the US, it takes 18g's off when subtracting mayo. The beef patty is about 2g's of fat more in the US version.

Do the customizers indicate portion sizes for the ingredients? My first suspicion would be that the UK recipe for a whopper just has a lot less mayo on it, which would be easy to do, b/c in the US it's a big gloppy mess of mayo dumped on there.