Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for answering my question. ☺
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that they are trying to appeal to the plus size community. People who have an issue with this make no sense. Clearly they have some form of dislike to larger sized individuals that you would think promoting athletic wear to that crowd would be something they are for.

It's funny because it's both people who think it's "promoting obesity" that have a problem, and also those who think the mannequin isn't big enough!

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that they are trying to appeal to the plus size community. People who have an issue with this make no sense. Clearly they have some form of dislike to larger sized individuals that you would think promoting athletic wear to that crowd would be something they are for.

It's funny because it's both people who think it's "promoting obesity" that have a problem, and also those who think the mannequin isn't big enough!

Yeah, both viewpoints are ridiculous. There are SO many different body types that it is in no way possible to have mannequins to represent everyone. How do people not recognize this?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Changed my mind. No one can do anything on the internet without fodder these days so I might have been harsh.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Nike created a situation where there would be internet fodder. The only reason why people are making idiotic comments is because Nike seeded the soil for them. This creates a buzz and it spreads to places like MFP. It is a smart way to use social media but whatever they are trying to do that may be seen as "good" might be tainted.

Mmm, dat good marketing. Really brought in terms to MFP that I haven't seen outside of reddit, haha.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Still no "Dad Bod" male mannequins??

Wearing moisture-wicking plaid? I'm all for it.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options

Do men actually want this? I don’t see them making any noise.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »

Do men actually want this? I don’t see them making any noise.

actually just saw this on my newfeed re: plus sized men/models/representation
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    They've made it to ads. Give em time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6NHjVO74c

:D

Is this the Duluth Trading Company ad? Seems it's like close to dad bod .

Not fitting in or looking the part is a huge barrier to physical activity for some struggling with their weight. If comfortable and fashionable workout gear helps someone get past that barrier then I'm all for it. I don't see it as promoting obesity, I see it as acknowledging the effort to get moving.

Yes, that's them. They're...creative lol. Completely agree with your thoughts on the OP.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »
    That's odd. I didn't see the promoting obesity comments but I did see comments complaining that the mannequin actually wasn't plus size enough. There were comments that Nike is only inclusive of "small fats" and that this wasn't good enough. It's like nobody can win either way.

I think it's great that Nike is trying. The majority of the US qualifies as obese but that doesn't mean that they are the bulk of people buying Nike workout clothes so Nike doesn't really have to do anything. At least they're making an effort; I think being more inclusive is better than not even trying at all.

That's weird because that mannequin doesn't really look like a "small fat" to me. I understand that sometimes when people talk about "plus sized" models, it can sound kind of offensive because a lot of the time they look like just regular weight people. But that mannequin, while not trying to be representative of a morbidly obese person, would certainly represent someone with an obese BMI.

In the HAES/body positive/FA community, that is what a "small fat" is.

mom7fyb4ixgm.jpg
    Without knowing the height/measurements of that mannequin to verify it is true, who can say for sure. Nike's extended sizing is 1X-3X. To me, that mannequin is easily over a size 20 considering at my highest weight I wore size 22, frequently tightly, was still in obese class I by BMI, and my waist circumference was nowhere near as large what the mannequin's appears to be. So if that mannequin is modeling 2X or 3X instead of the presumed 1X, it would be a "mid fat".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lurbo5zf0upr.jpg
    So this image was posted on LinkedIn of all places, and I was shocked by the number of people who made terrible comments that Nike is promoting obesity. What is wrong with people?? I think it's great because how are people supposed to work out if they don't have clothes that fit?

Good for Nike!

I knew a woman who worked as a plus-sized model in the late 90s. She was more like the 24% BF image than the mannequin.

body-fat-chart-women.png.pagespeed.ce.9463keJYYr.png