Nike ad using plus size mannequins

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    People get really weird about that stuff, both out in the world and here. Nike seems to have a variety of different sized mannequins for different body types, most of which are still skinny. That its so radical that someone makes any effort to serve a market share that makes up 40% of the US (people who qualify as obese), shows how skewed our marketing normally is.

And how could anybody think a company that exists to sell exercise gear (and makes more money if more people exercise) is promoting obesity? And it's running, not exercise you can do sitting down like riding a bike or rowing!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    What does "torrid" mean?

Hot, dry, possibly full of difficulty or strife. Different usages that usually work out the same through the context.

Once popular in describing steamy "romance" novels and movies back when sexually explicit mainstream books and films were rare.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What does "torrid" mean?

Hot, dry, possibly full of difficulty or strife. Different usages that usually work out the same through the context.

Once popular in describing steamy "romance" novels and movies back when sexually explicit mainstream books and films were rare.

Knowing me...I'm actually surprised I forgot about that :D Very true :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    So this image was posted on LinkedIn of all places, and I was shocked by the number of people who made terrible comments that Nike is promoting obesity. What is wrong with people?? I think it's great because how are people supposed to work out if they don't have clothes that fit?

No one will ever be able to keep everyone happy imo. I think it's fantastic that at least some major corportations whose business is health/fitness centered are at least trying. People come in all shapes and sizes are are so rarely anything close to perfect, so keeping the marketing based on reality and not BS ideals is just fine with me.

That was my biggest issue with Title IX clothing back in the 90's. They didn't sell anything above a size 14. A company that was founded on equality of opportunity for women excludes a significant market share, SMH.

I think I actually remember Title IX lol. I agree with you and would say most decision makers still bank on that one, healthy and airbrushed image today. I don't want to ever see any other young women go through what my daughter went through regarding her perceived body image and how she tied that to her self worth.

I think this is a great step in the right direction, but quite frankly I don't think they'll nail it until ads/commercials are using anyone at any time to send the right message. Heh, that message will be enough of a source of contention alone these days.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Maybe I’m weird but I don’t even notice mannequin size/shape, I only look at the actual clothes. I already know that the mannequins will never ever represent my personal body type (much taller and curvier than average) and rarely do realistically for any body type because, well... they are plastic mannequins :D

Sure makes for good publicity though, right? ;)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    That's odd. I didn't see the promoting obesity comments but I did see comments complaining that the mannequin actually wasn't plus size enough. There were comments that Nike is only inclusive of "small fats" and that this wasn't good enough. It's like nobody can win either way.

I think it's great that Nike is trying. The majority of the US qualifies as obese but that doesn't mean that they are the bulk of people buying Nike workout clothes so Nike doesn't really have to do anything. At least they're making an effort; I think being more inclusive is better than not even trying at all.

That's weird because that mannequin doesn't really look like a "small fat" to me. I understand that sometimes when people talk about "plus sized" models, it can sound kind of offensive because a lot of the time they look like just regular weight people. But that mannequin, while not trying to be representative of a morbidly obese person, would certainly represent someone with an obese BMI.

In the HAES/body positive/FA community, that is what a "small fat" is.

mom7fyb4ixgm.jpg
    Without knowing the height/measurements of that mannequin to verify it is true, who can say for sure. Nike's extended sizing is 1X-3X. To me, that mannequin is easily over a size 20 considering at my highest weight I wore size 22, frequently tightly, was still in obese class I by BMI, and my waist circumference was nowhere near as large what the mannequin's appears to be. So if that mannequin is modeling 2X or 3X instead of the presumed 1X, it would be a "mid fat".

That's true; I was just responding with regard to the comments I saw online. For me I can easily tell it's a plus size mannequin but if someone asked me to guess its size I don't think my guess would be close. As a side note, the toxic side of the HAES/FA community would most likely still classify that mannequin as a small fat as evidenced by the comments I saw about this photo regardless of the chart I linked. It's gone from being body positive to being body positive toward plus size people to shaming smaller plus size people for not being large enough and still having the benefits of thin privilege.

In any case, I think most of the comments here agree that it's great that Nike is even doing this. Whether it's for true inclusion or to cause a stir online, at least there is representation of larger bodies. It seems like when things like this happen, the extremists on both sides are tapping away furiously at their keyboards while everyone else is just living their life.

It's for the bottom line, pure and simple.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    That's odd. I didn't see the promoting obesity comments but I did see comments complaining that the mannequin actually wasn't plus size enough. There were comments that Nike is only inclusive of "small fats" and that this wasn't good enough. It's like nobody can win either way.

I think it's great that Nike is trying. The majority of the US qualifies as obese but that doesn't mean that they are the bulk of people buying Nike workout clothes so Nike doesn't really have to do anything. At least they're making an effort; I think being more inclusive is better than not even trying at all.

That's weird because that mannequin doesn't really look like a "small fat" to me. I understand that sometimes when people talk about "plus sized" models, it can sound kind of offensive because a lot of the time they look like just regular weight people. But that mannequin, while not trying to be representative of a morbidly obese person, would certainly represent someone with an obese BMI.

In the HAES/body positive/FA community, that is what a "small fat" is.

mom7fyb4ixgm.jpg
    Without knowing the height/measurements of that mannequin to verify it is true, who can say for sure. Nike's extended sizing is 1X-3X. To me, that mannequin is easily over a size 20 considering at my highest weight I wore size 22, frequently tightly, was still in obese class I by BMI, and my waist circumference was nowhere near as large what the mannequin's appears to be. So if that mannequin is modeling 2X or 3X instead of the presumed 1X, it would be a "mid fat".

That's true; I was just responding with regard to the comments I saw online. For me I can easily tell it's a plus size mannequin but if someone asked me to guess its size I don't think my guess would be close. As a side note, the toxic side of the HAES/FA community would most likely still classify that mannequin as a small fat as evidenced by the comments I saw about this photo regardless of the chart I linked. It's gone from being body positive to being body positive toward plus size people to shaming smaller plus size people for not being large enough and still having the benefits of thin privilege.

In any case, I think most of the comments here agree that it's great that Nike is even doing this. Whether it's for true inclusion or to cause a stir online, at least there is representation of larger bodies. It seems like when things like this happen, the extremists on both sides are tapping away furiously at their keyboards while everyone else is just living their life.

It's for the bottom line, pure and simple.

maybe.

maybe not.

it's Nike.

I'm not sure that Nike only had their bottom line in mind when they launched the Kaepernick Ad.

However, that Ad campaign was actually viewed as favorable & Nike stock responded to the upside.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What does "torrid" mean?

Torrid is a plus size clothing store.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,159 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I had to buy a wetsuit last year and it was one of the worst shopping experiences in my life. I did it all online, but it made me feel so awful about myself that I couldn't find one that would fit me. I searched for days. I eventually came across a brand that makes suits for triathalons, and their biggest size for women went up to 220 lbs. At the time I was 240, but this was the best I could find so I gave it a try and it fit. But its like c'mon world, now plus size people don't go diving? Jeezus.

Yup. Mine was for kayaking. Finally I realized I could go 2-piece, for that purpose: Mens' top for the post-mastectomy thing, womens' bottom for the then-ample hips. I ran across custom ones for diving along the way: Not as affordable as off-the-rack, but cheaper than I would've guessed. Tried to find dry suits, too, but would've had to buy mens' then, at my size at the time; the plumbing is sub-ideal. ;)