What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2019
    @ Aokoye -- fantastic results! Sounds super exciting! As you know already, it's all the prep that's the hard work and the race if the "reward" of sorts. Strange sport where the reward is such pain! Thanks for all the terms and info on OTW, too, I appreciate that.

Long workout at the gym today. Nice to get out my bubble at home and see people. 70 minutes of pretty hard cardio. 15 on the rower, then 10 on the Stairmaster, 20 on a Stationary Bike (hills on level 20, the highest setting), 10 on the "Hand Bike", my new favorite at the gym -- it is a beast!, 10 more on the rower with 100 or so KB swings mixed in. Also got in some 70 or 80 pushups, pulls ups and a few other things.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Second day of the NW Masters Rowing Championships. I was in a mixed 8, our B boat (that was amusingly called the A boat on paper...) in the race. We rowed a really good race against mostly non-novice boats. We also totally walked on one of the novice boats that was there. I stroked the race again - my coach jokingly said that I stole it from one of the novice women who is in a similar place as I am with regards to her quick development (I think she's been rowing handful of months more than I have). I initially had her as coxing but wanted to wait to see how my men's 4 went.

Our cox was amazing! He coxes his D1 university's women's varsity 8 crew. His calls were so. good. And I mean, all of our coxes for this regatta are great and I've been coxed by three of the six that we're using, but this was so good. Note, he isn't the most experienced, that goes to the person who coxed my men's 4+ and has coxed at the US Olympic trials multiple times (and is probably AnnPT's age). A lot of our other boats had good races as well, especially our women's AA* 8+, men's F 2-, and our mixed E 2x, all of whom got first by over 9 seconds age adjusted.

*AA, F, and E (among other letters) are age categories that are used in masters rowing more on that here.
    More information on boat classes, specifically on things like, "so what is a 2- anyways?" can be found on this handy Wikipedia page (a 2- is a coxless pair - two rowers each with one oar in a very tippy rowing shell). Also "mixed" in this context means men and women are rowing in the same boat.

Sounds like another great race-day: Wonderful!

Yes, great coxes are amazing. It's very amusing that what most non-rowers think they do is shout "stroke-stroke-stroke" or something. ;) Good steering alone can be a factor in race results, not to mention the on-water tech corrections a good cox will pick up on, smart use of opponent-boat position and performance as a motivator, and general energy/mood management for the boat if the cox is good at reading & manipulating that.

I'd even carry that perspective over into indoor racing: They let competitors have a cox (who typically sits in a folding chair behind the rowing machine). If I can get a decent one, I'd always do that for machine racing, too. Even a fellow rower who's a good technique coach can do this, since the coxing-specific tech skills (like steering, water-reading) are out of the picture.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    6/23/2019 - at park, early afternoon 88F degrees - walk 3.49 miles in 1 hour.
  • msdwms78
    msdwms78 Posts: 7 Member
    Walking
    3.83 miles
  • rupshaw
    rupshaw Posts: 248 Member
    5 mile run at 9 pace
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Second day of the NW Masters Rowing Championships. I was in a mixed 8, our B boat (that was amusingly called the A boat on paper...) in the race. We rowed a really good race against mostly non-novice boats. We also totally walked on one of the novice boats that was there. I stroked the race again - my coach jokingly said that I stole it from one of the novice women who is in a similar place as I am with regards to her quick development (I think she's been rowing handful of months more than I have). I initially had her as coxing but wanted to wait to see how my men's 4 went.

Our cox was amazing! He coxes his D1 university's women's varsity 8 crew. His calls were so. good. And I mean, all of our coxes for this regatta are great and I've been coxed by three of the six that we're using, but this was so good. Note, he isn't the most experienced, that goes to the person who coxed my men's 4+ and has coxed at the US Olympic trials multiple times (and is probably AnnPT's age). A lot of our other boats had good races as well, especially our women's AA* 8+, men's F 2-, and our mixed E 2x, all of whom got first by over 9 seconds age adjusted.

*AA, F, and E (among other letters) are age categories that are used in masters rowing more on that here.
    More information on boat classes, specifically on things like, "so what is a 2- anyways?" can be found on this handy Wikipedia page (a 2- is a coxless pair - two rowers each with one oar in a very tippy rowing shell). Also "mixed" in this context means men and women are rowing in the same boat.

Yes, great coxes are amazing. It's very amusing that what most non-rowers think they do is shout "stroke-stroke-stroke" or something. ;) Good steering alone can be a factor in race results, not to mention the on-water tech corrections a good cox will pick up on, smart use of opponent-boat position and performance as a motivator, and general energy/mood management for the boat if the cox is good at reading & manipulating that.

I'd even carry that perspective over into indoor racing: They let competitors have a cox (who typically sits in a folding chair behind the rowing machine). If I can get a decent one, I'd always do that for machine racing, too. Even a fellow rower who's a good technique coach can do this, since the coxing-specific tech skills (like steering, water-reading) are out of the picture.

Thanks Ann and @MikePfirrman! And yes omg good coxs. At one point shortly after we lengthened I was like "omg he's amazing!" The calls he made were just so good. And he called the rhythm which was great. I looked at the times just now and it's very clear there were essentially three races (note - there wasn't a mixed novice 8 race). Bainbridge Island won by nearly 8 seconds, then there was the crews who got second through 4th (one of which was from my club) and then there were essentially the 5th-7th crews all of which were likely novices. Amusingly, order of those three rews (5th-7th) was the same as in my Novice 4 race in terms of the places.

My "workout" today was de-rigging and trailering boats and then doing the opposite once we got back. I didn't have any races but I went to support my teammates and help out. It turns out that there's a bit of a rigging and putting boats back in the boat house party after regionals as well. It's very good incentive to not stay home.
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Back and biceps today:)kqzrkdbs3bsm.jpeg
    ghz9wqee0alb.jpeg
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm working on building up my stamina for September's charity hike. This can be tricksy with a perma-broken ankle, but I'm feeling pretty good about the last few days :)

Saturday: Probably about five miles of gentle walking, plus 25 minutes of weights in the gym to show willing - chest presses with dumbbells, overheads with dumbbells, dumbbell rows, bicep curls, lat pulldowns, downward-upward dog, finishing off with a 30s plank. I skipped leg work for good reasons...
    Sunday: 14 miles of strenuous hiking, often cross-country or on little-used tracks, with significant uphill and downhill (occasionally rather scrambly).
    Monday: BodyPump class, plus I'll do a little walking later. This time I didn't skip the legs, but I did use half my usual weight for the squats, and none for the lunges.

What is mystifying me is why my ARMS feel so tired today...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    06/21 - Handstand Pushup - Grease The Groove (On a Yoga Block)
    5 x 2 (10)
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (15R Max) Day 8/30
    14-12-10-8-8 (52)
    Yoga - Ashtanga Half Primary Series
    *Stopped due to my shoulder bothering me…

06/22 - Handstand Pushup - Grease The Groove (On a Yoga Block)
    5 x 2 (10)
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (15R Max) Day 9/30
    14-12-10-10-8 (54)

06/23 - Took the day off. Aches and pains...

06-24 - Handstand Pushup - Grease The Groove (On a Yoga Block)
    5 x 2 (10)
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (15R Max) Day 10/30
    14-12-12-10-8 (56)
    Yoga
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 10 Rounds
    Core Strength Complex
    L-Sit - 5 x 5 @20s (100s)
    Back Bridge - 5 x 5 @30s (150s)
    Pancake Stretch - 5 x 5 @30s (150s)
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Friday - walk .5 miles, run 1.5 miles, walk .6 miles. Outside with hills.
    Saturday - walk/jogs for 50:09 minutes/2.8 miles. Outisde with hills.
    Sunday - mowed my dad's grass. Counting it because his yard is huge and has inclines :D
  • MikePfirrman
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks Ann and @MikePfirrman! And yes omg good coxs. At one point shortly after we lengthened I was like "omg he's amazing!" The calls he made were just so good. And he called the rhythm which was great. I looked at the times just now and it's very clear there were essentially three races (note - there wasn't a mixed novice 8 race). Bainbridge Island won by nearly 8 seconds, then there was the crews who got second through 4th (one of which was from my club) and then there were essentially the 5th-7th crews all of which were likely novices. Amusingly, order of those three rews (5th-7th) was the same as in my Novice 4 race in terms of the places.

My "workout" today was de-rigging and trailering boats and then doing the opposite once we got back. I didn't have any races but I went to support my teammates and help out. It turns out that there's a bit of a rigging and putting boats back in the boat house party after regionals as well. It's very good incentive to not stay home.

I've never had a Cox. Would LOVE one for an indoor race. The issue with Indoor racing is that you have to be careful with the venue. My last race (in Indianapolis), I knew the previous times of one racer and was designated to sit next to him, it's all public record on race results. I thought he was my biggest challenger. He and his Cox went over his strategy with me listening to their entire conversation. I held a slim lead going into the last 800 or so and knew when he was going to try to sprint (at around 500m). It's a way bit earlier than I like to like to sprint, but I set a PB by seven seconds (went from 7:18 to 7:11). His cox was awesome but it might have helped me more! Turns out that someone entered last minute and nudged me into second by a less than a second. We had 3 in our age group and I thought it was only two of us -- they put as many as 3 age groups going at the same time, so we were racing with 40 somethings too -- 10 down the line at a time.

Another time, a guy that had some of the best form I'd ever seen sat next to me. He was in his 60s but it was in Cincy and they lumped us all together in the same category, which isn't fair. His son was his Cox and was also amazing. I lead the entire race and his son was barking out orders for him to improve pace to catch me. It also motivated me. The issue with an Indoor cox is that everyone can nearly hear everyone else's instructions, but it's a huge motivation factor. Also, having someone that knows your race strategy and knows rowing would be huge.
  • andreascarff
    andreascarff Posts: 62 Member
    30 minutes elliptical and then 40 minutes with the weights! Love it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    7.9K rowing the double today (Monday), after an unusual-for-summer two-day break. Sunday's my standard real rest day; Saturday I went to an all-day workshop of my mixed-media book arts group, and missed out on a beautiful day for rowing with my rowing-club friends. Sadly, a person can't do everything . . . and I admit I waved wistfully at the river from the highway bridge as we were driving to the workshop. :cry: ;)
  • dvmmcw3094
    dvmmcw3094 Posts: 107 Member
    Treadmill
    Slow and easy at 1 degree incline
    36:30 3 miles
  • MikePfirrman
    30 minutes on the indoor rower today. Felt OK on the rower, then got on the Air Bike and felt a bit flush and shaky. Shut it down after 10 minutes, very light on the bike. Hopefully, I just pushed too hard yesterday. Had a juice in the AM, so it wasn't because I didn't eat. Anyway, feeling better now. Plan to go light again tomorrow.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Get moving Monday minus the PT or classes.

My PT is off on a jaunt so no PT for the first 3 days of this week and no classes today and only one out of 3 tomorrow.
    Lucky shes given me lots of workouts I can do by myself imagining I can hear her voice in my ear whenever i feel like giving up.

Started with a warm up mile of progressive intervals, 250m fast, 250m recover, 300m fast, 250m recover, 350m fast, 250m recover.

Then I'm starting a new cycle with 5/3/1 today, and did week 1 squats and shoulder press followed by 5x10@27.5kg squats, 5x10@16kg shoulder press and 3x10@8kg dumbbell shoulder press.

Next was a short workout I've done before in PT.
    50 squat jumps/10 burpees
    40 sit ups/10 burpees
    30 lunges/10 burpees
    20 kb swings/10 burpees
    10 press ups/10 burpees
    20 kb swings/10 burpees
    30 lunges/10 burpees
    40 sit ups/10 burpees
    50 squat jumps/10 burpees

Took it outside for 10xhill sprints

That was my morning workout.

Evening workout was a cardio blast challenge I do semi regularly.

1000m run/250m row
    800m run/500m row
    500m run/750m row
    300m run/1000m row

Completed it in 32:14 which is 1min14 quicker than last time.
    Then I cooled down on the elliptical before a good stretch.
  • showjefb
    showjefb Posts: 109 Member
    6 miles of walking and a quick kettlebell circuit
    Slowly easing back into resistance training
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    90 minutes' bouldering. Climbing is brilliant - I can't get enough of it at the moment.

I also got 16,000 steps.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    15 min bike
    50 min elliptical
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    6/24/2019 at park late morning -

Alternating pull-ups and chin-ups - 50 reps in 10:18 - plan was 100 reps but didn’t have it in me so called it a day.