What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    6k on the erg at school. 6 mins sans foot straps ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

For a while, I did all my steady state work unstrapped. Really teaches you a lot about core, wasted momentum and really working on returning your hands quickly. Learn a lot about sequencing because it's a hard lesson if you're wrong! I had gotten away from it and hurt my back with bad form. Perhaps because I wasn't practicing rowing unstrapped enough!
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    15 minute treadmill warmup
    Squats 3x8
    DB press 3x8
    DB row 3x12
    30 med ball slams
    1 mile walk
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    30 min PT session, cardio intervals on the rebounder with some ab work thrown in. Legs were feeling pretty good all things considered but didn't feel ready for a full 5k yet so just a fastish mile after.
    Insanity, only had to mod 1 exercise
    Boxercise legs were pretty tired by the end.

2 days post marathon and I would say I'm around 75% recovered
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    30 minutes overall lifting.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

2 days post marathon and I would say I'm around 75% recovered

Congrats!!!!!🎈🍾🎉 🏃‍♀️
  • aokoye
    edited April 2019
    Options

For a while, I did all my steady state work unstrapped. Really teaches you a lot about core, wasted momentum and really working on returning your hands quickly. Learn a lot about sequencing because it's a hard lesson if you're wrong! I had gotten away from it and hurt my back with bad form. Perhaps because I wasn't practicing rowing unstrapped enough!

Yeah I think my main issue with regards to this is that I tend to rush the side - aka my recovery is too fast. It's the primary thing that multiple people correct me on that could be targeted by rowing feet out. It's getting better the more I row, especially compared to when I first started rowing with the men's team. On Monday it was apparently the the last, not even quarter of the slide that was too fast (according to the person who noticed it then). Saturday it was super pronounced, but also there were a bajillion mitigating factors. That I was calm, was able to hold the stroke rate (I was the novice in 4+ made up of advanced rowers), didn't crab, and apparently had good body positioning (according to a two or three people who watched from the dock - one of my coaches and the one of my friends who is a very skilled rower) is more than good enough for me.

That said, I ended up being able to focus on being patient once I strapped my feet back in today and held a split that I was pleased with while also being really mindful of slowing way down during the recovery.
  • trunkmonkey1977
    trunkmonkey1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Heavy bag boxing and swimming for time.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    AM: Jog 7 miles at a recovery pace.
    PM: Swim team practice: Probably about 2400 meters. Mostly 100-200m intervals after a warmup. Some pull buoy stuff mixed in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Finally back on the water tonight, rowing bow in a four, after a interminably long Winter and a multi-week workout hiatus due to flare-up in long-term knee issues. Hoping I and the season have both turned a corner . . . .

Yeah I think my main issue with regards to this is that I tend to rush the side - aka my recovery is too fast. It's the primary thing that multiple people correct me on that could be targeted by rowing feet out. It's getting better the more I row, especially compared to when I first started rowing with the men's team. On Monday it was apparently the the last, not even quarter of the slide that was too fast (according to the person who noticed it then). Saturday it was super pronounced, but also there were a bajillion mitigating factors. That I was calm, was able to hold the stroke rate (I was the novice in 4+ made up of advanced rowers), didn't crab, and apparently had good body positioning (according to a two or three people who watched from the dock - one of my coaches and the one of my friends who is a very skilled rower) is more than good enough for me.

That said, I ended up being able to focus on being patient once I strapped my feet back in today and held a split that I was pleased with while also being really mindful of slowing way down during the recovery.

In a boat, it helps me to think of the boat coming to me on the recovery. We pry it through the water on the drive, release, then relax, and the boat moves under us (while we pretty much sit still, with respect to the bank). That's the recovery. The boat brings the catch to us, we don't bring ourselves to the catch.

(This is a mild exaggeration at race pressure (heh), but it's still IMO a good way to think about how to avoid slide-rushing on the water. The same body mechanics work on an erg, but are not as essential to speed/pace - sometimes not even helpful ;) . In the boat, when you move yourself to the catch, you're moving weight counter to the boat's direction of travel. That's check, right? ;) The erg is also designed so that you can simply relax, and the ever-so-slight slope of the rail and the flywheel action will do a lot of the work getting you to the catch . . . but there's not as much penalty for rushing as there is in a boat.).

Just one way of looking at it, of course. :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Jazzercize
  • aokoye
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Finally back on the water tonight, rowing bow in a four, after a interminably long Winter and a multi-week workout hiatus due to flare-up in long-term knee issues. Hoping I and the season have both turned a corner . . . .

In a boat, it helps me to think of the boat coming to me on the recovery. We pry it through the water on the drive, release, then relax, and the boat moves under us (while we pretty much sit still, with respect to the bank). That's the recovery. The boat brings the catch to us, we don't bring ourselves to the catch.

(This is a mild exaggeration at race pressure (heh), but it's still IMO a good way to think about how to avoid slide-rushing on the water. The same body mechanics work on an erg, but are not as essential to speed/pace - sometimes not even helpful ;) . In the boat, when you move yourself to the catch, you're moving weight counter to the boat's direction of travel. That's check, right? ;) The erg is also designed so that you can simply relax, and the ever-so-slight slope of the rail and the flywheel action will do a lot of the work getting you to the catch . . . but there's not as much penalty for rushing as there is in a boat.).

Just one way of looking at it, of course. :)

That was a super helpful way to conceptualize check. This also helps me think about how the boat feels when I'm with the other novices (once a week) compared when I'm with the men's team (twice a week). I'll be out on the water on Thursday and will try to think about that as we're warming up (the time when I typically have every so slightly more space in my brain to think about technique stuff that I want to focus on and that hasn't been told to me during practice yet).

This is making me want to learn how to scull in a single even more now which might happen this summer, knock on wood (it's a big might - sculling will probably happen, whether or not I get out in a single is dependent on a lot of things all of which are out of my control).

Also I'm so glad you were able to get out on the water today! I was thinking about you and hoping you'd turn the corner sooner rather than later, injury wise.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Pavel Tsatsouline's "Grease the Groove" workout. Pull-ups, 5 sets of 3 and handstand pushup negatives, 5 sets of 1 at 15 seconds. Will do the same workout late this afternoon...
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    10 miles biking, 2 x 10 reps Squats
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Pretty much having a rest day today.
    My Wednesday morning sprint session was more of a get moving session, with some run intervals combined with dynamic and static stretching
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    2 mile hike with my 9 year old. Our first hike of the season!
  • edhammerbeck
    edhammerbeck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lifted weights. I did ascending 5s in the squat, overhead press, and deadlift. It was pretty dope except I missed my work set in the press. Next week, I'll deload and try again later.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Spin class. Cycle Beats, to be exact.
  • Melolson14
    Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Cleaning an apartment building
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    100 minutes more outside doing yard work. Cutting down trees, clearing brush, etc.