What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited June 2019
    Aokoye - that's exciting. I likely know of quite a few of those folks there. Many of the NW OTW contingent are members of my Sub 7 Indoor club as well during the offseason (most are so serious they never take time off). I'm like one of the least serious members of that club. Especially large contingent of female rowers from my indoor club are from either WA or Idaho.

Congrats on the degree! And can't wait to hear about your race. You've worked really hard preparing for it. I was so excited for my first indoor race, so doing yours on water would be incredibly exciting. Sounds like you're hooked already.

Thanks Mike and @AnnPT77 for the congratulations on my graduation! It took a lot of energy (and a lot of tears) but I got through it. And yes, there probably will be people from your indoor club if they compete OTW in WA or ID. It'll be my second regatta of the season but the first in my novice 4+. We've gotten very little time to row together and knock on wood we'll get to go out in a 4 tomorrow morning (I suspect it'll be an issue of how many coxswains we have available). I'm also apparently going to be in a mixed 8, but no one knows what the line up of that will be.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    6/17/2019 - first day of summer and day one for chasing new fitness, health and wellness goals -

At local park, walked 3.41 miles in 60 minutes, would have gone a little farther but stopped to give driving directions to a lost soul and forgot to pause my Garmin.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Sunday

Rest day today,
    Single mile ran to keep my streak going, plus a bit of walking to and fro, otherwise recovering from a night out
  • aokoye
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    9.2k rowing the double, with a Big Ten champion rower in stroke. We went upstream to see the baby swans (there are still at least 5, and maybe all 6 of them - they mill around so much it's hard to count).

On the way back, with me steering, we hit a d**m bridge abutment (oars, not boat, still lucky not to break stuff/flip/swim, wind may have contributed, but, as bow rower, definitively all my fault - ugh).

Ugh I'm sorry you managed to not miss the bridge yesterday. One of the major challenges of bowing on the river that I row on is the bridges. I almost hit an abutment the Wednesday before last.

Yesterday I rowed for an hour and a half (give or take) with my novice 4 lineup. Nothing exciting, we need more time together but oh well. I'm debating on lowering the rate of the start to a 30 from a 32 to take into account the person who just came out of LTR2 and is having a bit of trouble. I also need to have a chat with him that will essentially be, "none of us mind that you're here, we know that you're very new but also you are the reason we able to take out a novice 4 so we're all actually very glad that you're here". Hopefully we'll be able to take that line up out in a 4 tomorrow morning so we can work on starts and some 30 on 30 off.

Today was my first morning of development sculling practice and it was good, though totally not the usual practice because everyone is getting ready for regionals so we had two shifts of rowing - three if you count the women's novice sweep practice. Most of the scullers went out at 6am, the novice women went out at 7am, and people in development who aren't sculling at regionals went out at 8am. It made for a much quieter boat house which was nice. Also a very quiet river.
    I rowed 9.8km in a quad sitting stroke seat (mainly because I'm not good at bowing, we had a guest rower who sat in three - who was great, and the single person who had being to dev practices before was in two seat). We saw a bald eagle and some goslings swimming with their caregivers.

I'm feeling more and more comfortable sculling but felt a little self conscious/exposed because I've been rowing for the least amount of time. Really I need to do the, "I'm doing really well for having rowed less than a year", which the sculling coach told me in slightly different words.
  • immoralhook
    immoralhook Posts: 5 Member
    5 mile run
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    5 mile run

That's 4.9 miles more than any sane person should do. :D

Seriously though. No idea what my workout is for today. I've done squats throughout the day, anytime I felt tired/nappy/sleepy. I've also done pushups here and there and have been relatively active. I'm just gonna treat today as a rest day.

Good luck to everyone here in their work towards healthy!
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    6/15 5 mile hike
    6/16 2500 yard swim / 50 min
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    6/16 Pavel’s fighter pull-up program day 3, and handstand push-up GTG.
    6/17 Pavel’s fighter pull-up program day 4, handstand push-up GTG and press handstand core strength work.

• aokoye
    8k in a novice 8 with my novice 4 in stern so we could practice in our race line up. I was stroke which is doing really good things to both my confidence and my technique in terms of making sure I'm easy to follow. It's funny, 7 or 8 months ago I was the least confident in the boat and now I'm consistently stroke in novice boats (mind you - 7 or 8 months ago I was practicing with the intermediate and advanced men).
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Get moving monday.

1hr PT - full body, TRX based, with some new, more advanced versions of some of the exercises. Single arm bicep curls were certainly interesting as were the pikes and double leg mountain climbers.

Its deload week in 5/3/1 which meant seriously light working weight for squats and shoulder press. Also did 5x10@25kg paused squats and 5x10@17.5kg shoulder press.

1 mile easy run down to gym for tabata. Note to self, you have little legs and if you try and keep up with the long legged man on other side of road, you will tank out.

30 min tabata

45 min barbell, new leg track still hurts.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Glutes and arms
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    EmBeatie wrote: »
    What's PT? Can people add the time their workouts take out of interest? I'm sure some of these would take me 2 hours.

I mentioned PT above - physical therapy? As for time, don't worry about others's times working out. I've been working out fairly hard now for 10 years. Lost the weight (and have maintained) for nine years.

I workout an hour a day most days. Roughly 90 minutes on Sunday (took yesterday off for Father's Day, did some planting) and then an hour M - F at lunch.

Today was a bit shorter of a workout -- 20 sprints. 2K warmup on the rower, then 8 short sprints (around 200m each or 20 strokes on, 20 off), then 12 sprints on the AD Pro (90 seconds on @ 300 plus Watts and 60 secs active recovery).
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    Yesterday: 100 kettle bell swings, 24 kgs bell.
    5 mile walk
    4x1500 metre indoor row, 3 minutes rest between sets.
    Today: 16,000 steps.
    80 minutes bouldering, git a few v2s (I'm not very good yet.)
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Bench press
    Deadlifts
    Shoulders
    Leg press
    Push-up/pull-up rotation

I like reading this thread. It’s simple but inspires me to want to keep hitting the gym to keep up with y’all.

I did a 7+mile run on Saturday but by the end my legs were toast so I plan to up my mid week runs to the 4.5-5 mile range
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    45 min elliptical
    25 min abs
  • aokoye
    EmBeatie wrote: »
    What's PT? Can people add the time their workouts take out of interest? I'm sure some of these would take me 2 hours.

I typically always use PT to mean physical therapy (which you will also see written as "physiotherapy" by people whose variety of English isn't any of the ones found in the US) but some people use it to mean personal trainer. I typically am able to rely on context clues to figure out what they mean, but not always.

My workouts that are inside are typically no longer than an hour and 15 minutes. If I'm rowing on the water it's more like an hour and 20 minutes.
  • pierinifitness
    drmwc wrote: »
    Yesterday: 100 kettle bell swings, 24 kgs bell.
    5 mile walk
    4x1500 metre indoor row, 3 minutes rest between sets.
    Today: 16,000 steps.
    80 minutes bouldering, git a few v2s (I'm not very good yet.)

Nice job on the KB swings. Did you time yourself, work within a time interval or go with your flow? Regardless, good heart thumper, keep up the good work.
  • pierinifitness
    6/17/2017 - the real 6/17/2019, yesterday’s date stamp was in error - at park in mid-afternoon -

#1 - alternating pull-ups and chin-ups 100 reps in 20:03 - been working on a goal of 100 reps in 20:00 or less.

#2 - Run 5:40 walk 0:20 for 6 rounds = 3.06 miles in 30 minutes - planned 10 rounds and 60 minutes but cooler mid-morning workout got delayed to run starting at 3:20 pm and 91F degrees and 34 percent humidity so made business decision to cut run in half and try 60 minutes on different day.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Glute stuff: clam shells, single leg dead lifts, regular deadlifts, just death, bulgarian split squats, globe squats, box jumps...then just some crying

20 min treadmill walk 10% incline...

Ramping up my mileage to 36ish miles this week. Gotta figure out how to fit in lower body strength stuff...any ideas appreciated!!
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Second day of no workout. Strained my forearm Saturday and I’m trying to rest it. Missing my workouts really stinks:(