Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gut Microbiome impact on Health and Fitness

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Metformin Alters Microbiota, Improving Insulin Sensitivity

https://endocrineweb.com/professional/type-2-diabetes/metformin-alters-microbiota-improving-insulin-sensitivity

"The use of metformin in people with diabetes appears to favorably alter their gut microbiome, resulting in an improved glucose metabolism. The primary effect of metformin aims to stimulate levels of certain bacteria to enrich the microbiota milieu,1according to a team of researchers including the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, MD.

"In particular, my colleagues and I found that mucin-degrading Akkermansia muciniphila and several butyrate-producing bacteria were positively associated with metformin use," said study researc
    her Juan S. Escobar, PhD, of the Vidarium Research Center in Medellin, Colombia. These results echo findings from an earlier study.2...."

The Gut Microbiome as a Target for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6013535/

Summary
    The intestinal microbiota is known to be associated with metabolic syndrome and related comorbidities. Associated diseases including obesity, T2D, and fatty liver disease (NAFLD/NASH) all seem to be linked to altered microbial composition; however, causality has not been proven yet. Elucidating the potential causal and personalized role of the human gut microbiota in obesity and T2D is highly prioritized.

The human gut microbiome and body metabolism: implications for obesity and diabetes.
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23401286
    CONCLUSION:
    Advances in the Human Microbiome Project and human metagenomics research will lead the way toward a greater understanding of the importance and role of the gut microbiome in metabolic disorders such as obesity, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes.

© 2013 American Association for Clinical Chemistry

From the article...

"More research is needed, both Dr. Apovian and Dr. Escobar agree. Physicians aren’t to the point where they are testing patient's stools routinely to assess individual gut bacteria, said Dr. Apovian. However, the study findings do suggest that metformin should be used more broadly than just for people with diabetes, she said.

Dr. Escobar’s lab aims to examine how to restore balance in the gut microbiota to prevent disease onset. However, he also championed the prospect of its use for those who already have a disease.

"For those already sick, our results can inform novel ways in which therapies could potentially be used to treat an assortment of gut microbiota-associated diseases, including type 2 diabetes."

Future research must also determine if the observed associations are causal, Dr. Escobar said, and of course, that would necessitate a randomized controlled trial..."

That lines up with the doctors statements in the Times article I posted, and quite frankly most of everything else I've seen. It's too early to make bold claims, which is not the same as "against microbiome research - but OP is non responsive to any discussion pertaining to exactly what the medical community knows, people who may be profiting off of another goldmine nugget of info in the health field and which sources are legitimate or not.
    I thought this was the Debate forum, where ideas are exchanged, defended and/or debunked?

And of course, none of this is meant to say that the topic is not of great interest.

I completely agree.
This discussion has been closed.