Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gut Microbiome impact on Health and Fitness

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2019
    The funny thing about fecal transplant is the labs that process it use people who have super healthy poop. They are paid for their contributions so they are literally paid poopers😄

Yeah, not much any different from blood, plasma/immunoglobulin, semen, etc. donations...most disgusting part is when reading about doing a test dose (for per oral route at least) of fecal transplant capsules & monitoring gag reflex...not to mention how it is collected, stored, & prepared for use...🤮🤮🤮

Note: some recent setbacks recently with a few deaths post fecal transplant donation in the news...infancy indeed
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, not much any different from blood, plasma/immunoglobulin, semen, etc. donations...most disgusting part is when reading about doing a test dose (for per oral route at least) of fecal transplant capsules & monitoring gag reflex...not to mention how it is collected, stored, & prepared for use...🤮🤮🤮

Note: some recent setbacks recently with a few deaths post fecal transplant donation in the news...infancy indeed

Eww! I’ve never heard of ingesting it orally. What I did learn is it is somehow sterilized. I’m not sure how they do that and keep all the good bacteria alive, but they manage somehow.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited June 2019
    As the OP I wanted to share an article that is one take on how to read scientific research papers without being a scientific researcher. The subject of the gut microbiome impact on health and fitness has been going on in labs for a long time but government funding for this type of research did not get underway in a major way until about a decade ago it seems.

https://thenextweb.com/basics/2019/06/14/how-to-read-a-scientific-research-paper/

Tracking the funding is sometimes the most important I find personally. Money is often the main driver of everything where we want to except it or not. Every organization talks about money where it be our kids sport team, religion or research especially if it is medically related.

Getting funded is the first step to most all medical research.

The quality of the research team is always going to be a factor but medical breakthroughs like in other areas often come through Skunk Works types groups.

https://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/skunkworks

The gut microbiome impacts all readers but the big question I have today is the how and why as in the article link below.

https://nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01851-x
    17 JUNE 2019
    Microbes make metabolic mischief by targeting drugs

One thing I try to keep in my mind is research is not the final answer because our understanding of gut microbiome impact on health and fitness will continue to evolve so an open mind is required for my own health and fitness.

Since no one has the final answer on the subject I will work to read and understand each research paper I can find on the subject regardless of the authors stated or unstated objectives.

As the author of this paper about reading research papers points out the more we read on any subject the better our BS detector works. :)

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The brain does not work like this. We continually reference all data from a state of confirmational bias. Unless one follows a strict process of objective rationalization what you perceive as a "BS detector" is much closer to an "ego protector". Hence why most people shut down, break off conversations, and respond emotionally when confronted with conflicting data. Only a very small percentage of the population has the courage to question "what is known".

The fallacy in this is that a final answer could exist.

QFT.

I've seen this in practice on many occasions. For example, I know someone who is currently studying an MSc in Environment Science, and is a climate change skeptic. He constantly questions any evidence of climate change that is presented to him - but will implicitly trust any source that says that climate change is a lie. He once offered in evidence a website that claimed that climate change was an alien conspiracy. No lie.
This discussion has been closed.