Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gut Microbiome impact on Health and Fitness

Options

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

One thing I try to keep in my mind is research is not the final answer because our understanding of gut microbiome impact on health and fitness will continue to evolve so an open mind is required for my own health and fitness.

Since no one has the final answer on the subject I will work to read and understand each research paper I can find on the subject regardless of the authors stated or unstated objectives.

As the author of this paper about reading research papers points out the more we read on any subject the better our BS detector works. :)

Isn't that like calibrating an instrument according to a faulty standard?

While I feel like this topic is a promising area of research, what you describe as "keeping an open mind" seems more akin to gullibility. While we may not need concrete evidence for every health choice we make, I wouldn't want to make changes based on every hypothesis that comes along.

In my case to I just shifted my calorie sources when shopping at Walmart and Krogers to enhance my health so there is no need to dive in the deep end of the pool is one is going swimming for the first time.

I just wanted to know how eating low carb in my case for the past 5 years has fixed or improved 40 years of serious health issues. Understanding cravings can come from one's own gut microbiome was exciting news in my seeking the WHY. That covers why Willpower is not a factor in weight loss often.

As has been pointed out to you time and again, you do not know, and cannot possibly know, if the health improvements you realize were from the change to low carb or the weight loss itself. Now you want to throw gut biome into the mix as a possible source?

When you hear hoofbeats, why look for unicorns or zebras rather than horses?

We need Gale to start loading up on the oils to gain 40 pounds but remain low carb, n=1 demands it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The brain does not work like this. We continually reference all data from a state of confirmational bias. Unless one follows a strict process of objective rationalization what you perceive as a "BS detector" is much closer to an "ego protector". Hence why most people shut down, break off conversations, and respond emotionally when confronted with conflicting data. Only a very small percentage of the population has the courage to question "what is known".

The fallacy in this is that a final answer could exist.

QFT.

I've seen this in practice on many occasions. For example, I know someone who is currently studying an MSc in Environment Science, and is a climate change skeptic. He constantly questions any evidence of climate change that is presented to him - but will implicitly trust any source that says that climate change is a lie. He once offered in evidence a website that claimed that climate change was an alien conspiracy. No lie.

What is the ideal gut microbiome?

I'm hoping that it's Taco based.

Beer....the council was looking for beer, but we'll accept tacos.
This discussion has been closed.