Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    I think peanut butter is polarising on MFP - well, at least everyone else seems other pole to me.

I don't like the stuff and never eat it and don't even have any in my house.

Everyone else on MFP seems to think it is nectar of the gods. :o

I hate it too. My mom told me that even as a baby I spit out peanut butter and gave her a "look" when it was first fed to me. :D
  • marylevin1
    marylevin1 Posts: 2 Member
    Those are not even food
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I've found that Nutella is very polarizing.
    When I tell people I think it's gross, they treat me like some kind of freak of nature, and OMG, Nutella is the best thing ever invented.
    It tastes like frosting. I don't want frosting on my toast.

What don’t you like about it? The texture? Too sweet? The taste?

I love nutella especially over warm pancakes.

I think the taste is okay. If you frosted a cupcake with it, that might be alright. It's so sweet, and has that "frosting" texture, so it's just a bit of sugar overload for me in a savory application. I would never use it on toast, pancakes, waffles, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think peanut butter is polarising on MFP - well, at least everyone else seems other pole to me.

I don't like the stuff and never eat it and don't even have any in my house.

Everyone else on MFP seems to think it is nectar of the gods. :o

I'm eh on it. Don't dislike it, but almost never eat it or particularly think about it.

I actively hated it as a kid, but when I discovered just peanuts and salt kinds I liked those well enough, but not enough to justify the calories, and I tend to like other nut butters better for the rare times I want nut butter. I do love nuts and eat them most days (sometimes too many).

I enjoy some foods that include peanut butter, including some peanut butter ice cream flavors. The idea of a spoonful of plain nut butter of any kind seems unpleasant because of the texture, and I dislike it on bread (I'm also super picky about bread).
  • ilikemydog
    ilikemydog Posts: 20 Member
    Those cookies are great; the texture, flavoring, everything.

Nutella tastes just like chocolate icing to me. I wouldn't put chocolate icing on toast -- ew.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I don't like or eat cookies or brownies. Since I don't have a sweet tooth (never did), I am the polarizing agent ion this world :D .

Yeah, give me a baked potato doused in butter any day over any cookie.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    I havent read the whole thread but already I am utterly outraged.

Tomato sauce on eggs! Tomato sauce on macaroni cheese??? What is the world coming to.

Someone along the thread must have mentioned marmite, you either like marmite or you're wrong.

Also the fish finger sandwich debate. I have known people put brown sauce on it, that is revolting and disgusting. And probably illegal. Everyone knows its tomato sauce, or tartare if you're being fancy.

What about a bacon sarnie, tomato or brown sauce?

*drool* fishfinger sandwich.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    marylevin1 wrote: »
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

They are not particularly to my taste but of course they are food.

Food

noun
    any 'nutritious' substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb in order to maintain life and growth.

So NOT food :-)

Ha. I mean....you technically COULD eat just those cookies and maintain life. You wouldn't feel so good, but you wouldn't starve to death either. And there are bound to be SOME nutrients in there....a little vitamin A and iron maybe? ;)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    LOVE Nutella. Or chocolate hazelnut anything. I do find it funny how it's marketed as a hazelnut "spread", when it is really more fosting like. But I can put it on most anything- toast, pancakes, french toast, bananas- combined with peanut butter. Mmmmm.

Have brussels sprouts been mentioned? LOVE that bitter green flavor, roasted, salted, and buttered-yum.
    Blue Cheese- Used to hate but tastes are evolving though, and I am beginning to find it tolerable. Enjoyable even.
    I think Candy corn was mentioned. -Meh- One handful a year is good enough for me.
    Peanut butter- I quite like it. I go through PB kicks where I want it a lot. Other times it's just OK. Almond butter now- I almost prefer it's flavor. But it's a bit pricey so I only buy it as a splurge.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

Food

noun
    any 'nutritious' substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb in order to maintain life and growth.

Ha. I mean....you technically COULD eat just those cookies and maintain life. You wouldn't feel so good, but you wouldn't starve to death either. And there are bound to be SOME nutrients in there....a little vitamin A and iron maybe? ;)

Are you sure?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

Food

noun

Yup. if the body is absorbing something from the product that it can use, then it is a food, and in the case of cookies, it is at least getting a shot of glucose and carbs and fats. Of course, no one is arguing that its "good" food, as in containing other things that the body needs included as well, such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc, and no one is arguing that living on them alone will help maintain a persons health seeing as our bodies need those other items as well for overall health, but they are still food. In truth, so are fast food items and things typically advertised as "junk" - they are still real food as in you can sustain life living on a diet of nothing but those items (and there are a ton of people in this world who do). Not saying that your over all health is going to be all that great, but function of the body can be maintained.....
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

Frisbee alternatives.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

Frisbee alternatives.

Just because they aren't an Oreo... ;)