Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Wondered Where People Get Some of These Ideas?

AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
If you've been wondering where some popular nutritional ideas come from, take a look at this magazine (only $2.99) that was on the stand at my supermarket checkout recently.

"Lose 2 Pounds a Day! Keto Thyroid Cure: 10 Days of Alkalyzing Foods Does It! Dr. Anna Cabeca LOST 80 POUNDS on the diet she herself developed! Mina, 50, Lost 175 Pounds * cured her thyroid disease * reversed her diabetes".

h91c6ldxc5ip.jpg

Debate? Just SMH, mostly. I know, I shouldn't judge without trying it, or at least reading it, but I can't even. I am curious about the "frozen pea" trick, though.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I see something about summer treats up there in the corner. That's more my speed :lol:

My thoughts exactly!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    It's also all over social media ads too. All my Facebook ads are "lose weight fast with keto" ads
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    edited June 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I find it amusing comparing mags from the same publisher but aimed at men vs. women (such as Men's Health and Women's Health).

In the taglines, men usually get "ripped", women "toned". Men get "rock hard abs", women "a flat belly". And so forth.

There was even a set of special issues (photo below) put out by that publisher, one for men and one for women, that were aimed at bodyweight fitness. Inside, based on a flip-through, there were pretty much exactly the same exercises. They just were photographed with models of the appropriate sex. Taglines on the cover slanted very diffently, though. :lol:

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

Yep, they're out to make some coin; there's no doubt about it.

Just like so many of the bodybuilding mags are all about selling supplements with roided-out & genetically gifted cover models. (with apologies to Jay Cutler.)

adlqpb2f.jpeg

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I find it amusing comparing mags from the same publisher but aimed at men vs. women (such as Men's Health and Women's Health).

In the taglines, men usually get "ripped", women "toned". Men get "rock hard abs", women "a flat belly". And so forth.

There was even a set of special issues (photo below) put out by that publisher, one for men and one for women, that were aimed at bodyweight fitness. Inside, based on a flip-through, there were pretty much exactly the same exercises. They just were photographed with models of the appropriate sex. Taglines on the cover slanted very diffently, though. :lol:

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

It's weird, but it sells more than a gender-neutral product would.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    There's a new product being touted on TV recently that makes me want to stab my eyeballs. The commercials are absolutely awful. "You don't need to count calories! You don't need to exercise! Just take our fat burning product and watch the inches just MELT off!! If you start to lose TOO MUCH weight, just lower the dosage."

This is really interesting:
    https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1360-5-shocking-realities-behind-ads-weight-loss-products.html

That cracked piece, a friend of mine modeled for a while before she 'cracked' and got out of it. Think Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman, but just shy of that lean. She was passed over numerous times for being overweight and soft looking. :#

Insanity :/
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Appealing to vanity does wonders for the bottom line.

I used to buy Men's Health and one or two others back in the pre-internet days and they were pretty decent sources of information. I picked one up a couple of years ago just for something to read not screen based and it seemed every other page, or every page in some sections, had a fitness model with this hygiene product or that supplement. Very little in the way of actual fitness related information.

Last weekend my wife and I were cleaning out the basement and found a DVD my youngest had purchased a few years back. It had a slim, muscular woman on the front with that "You can look like this" tag. Heh - she's already strong and beautiful.

It's easy to see where the ideas come from. Women and men of all ages and body types, even mindsets are massively targeted, and it's working. Shareholders portfolios have never been healthier lol.

I would love to see a day when everyone interested suddenly realized their own intrinsic worth without feeling they have to look like this fitness model or that ripped and shredded person. Get that down and start from there. I imagine it would be very refreshing.
    This is why I'm glad you're my friend :smile:

Back at you :) *hug*