Where'd all the support go?

Options

Replies

• cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Two years ago when I made my first account on MFP, it was a wonderful place. Everyone was so nice, so supportive, and so open to the ideas and helpful hints of others.

Now it's all catty, and jealous, and just straight up MEAN. I seriously have had more mean and rude comments made to me, than nice and supportive ones.

Does anyone else feel that the people of MFP have changed over the past two years?

But we are all adults here. Me maybe not so much, but you get what I mean.

My point is a helpful and informative comment is one thing, but a rude, snarky, and completely useless attack on ones intelligence or weight loss is completely different. It's unnecessary.

That's why I stay out of the forums during TOM. I tend to get a little snarky sometimes... but mainly at people who think they know everything. :) My suggestion is to surround yourself with supportive friends and delete the ones who are not helpful. The forums, on the other hand, if you ask for comments... you will get them, good or bad.
  • Ajwilson67
    Options
    People are just Jealous by nature, you came here for support ..for what ever reason and that is all that matters, i have not seen any rudeness on here but im sure it is out there ...
    Keep on Trucking girL!
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    *drags the dead horse into the thread*

Well, if you're going to beat it, you might as well not have to reach for it.

Maybe it is a dead horse being beaten to YOU, but it seems to me that the original poster had a genuine concern (hence why it was even brought up).

I don't get why people can't use the back button on their computer. Why even post? Really? If you aren't interested in what was written - BACK. BACK. BACK.

There's no need to hit reply just to be snarky.

Exactly!

No offense to anyone on here, but I am only 18. I thought the teenagers were supposed to be the mean ones? So far all the people my age are the NICE ones, not that people out of their teens are nice as well. But the majority of the rude people are over 18, which I find ironic

It's like I'm back in high school.

Well. I am definitely NOT a teenager anymore (heck, I have teenage kids! LOL) but I know how to be nice. I also know how to stand up to other people and I'm not afraid to do it. I've been told that I can be quite b*tchy and that's okay. I only do it when it is necessary.

Everyone needs to be like that at some point, unless you want to get walked all over. But people should only do it to those who, for lack of a better term- did it first.

I didn't mean ALL adults are mean, I meant all the rude people on here are adults.... I think that makes sense, right?
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Look.

We're all different. Some of us are designed for support and rainbows straight up your butt. Some of us (such as myself) prefer to motivate through giving it to you straight.

Personally, I respond better to being told straight to my face. If I were to come on these boards and whine about not losing weight (or what have you, it's just an analogy for pity's sake) but if you looked at my diary and it was full of junk and fast food etc. You'd know why I wasn't losing weight. NOW. If you told me "It's okay, just wipe the slate clean and move on!"... I guarantee that'd hit me about as hard as a fly on Godzilla's butt. If you told me "Look lady, you're shoving crap into your piehole. STOP IT."

If nobody is blatantly calling you ignorant or just making straight name calls at you, I see no problem in the commentary. All kinds of people are on these boards. You open yourself up to them when you post. The founding fathers gave us all the Freedom of Speech and just like some think people like myself shouldn't exercise it, the street goes both ways.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Maybe it is a dead horse being beaten to YOU, but it seems to me that the original poster had a genuine concern (hence why it was even brought up).

I don't get why people can't use the back button on their computer. Why even post? Really? If you aren't interested in what was written - BACK. BACK. BACK.

Maybe thats just their opinion,were all entitled to our opinions even if others find them mean or snarky.I personally feel people around here just need to toughen up.The same argument could be said if you dont like what someone posts you dont have to quote it or reaspond to it.
    To the OP if this is about your other thread with the bmr rmr debate the only one I saw being rude in there was you whenever someone disagreed with you
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

Maybe thats just their opinion,were all entitled to our opinions even if others find them mean or snarky.I personally feel people around here just need to toughen up.The same argument could be said if you dont like what someone posts you dont have to quote it or reaspond to it.
    To the OP if this is about your other thread with the bmr rmr debate the only one I saw being rude in there was you whenever someone disagreed with you

I was only rude when someone belittled my intelligence, which most of the people who I responded to did. I got one term wrong, and suddenly I was an idiot.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

I was only rude when someone belittled my intelligence, which most of the people who I responded to did. I got one term wrong, and suddenly I was an idiot.

really cause I was reading that thread when it got pulled,and never once did I see someone belittle your intelligence.Or call you an idiotTelling someone hey i dont think your right is not belittleing your intelligence its callled disagreeing.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Look.

We're all different. Some of us are designed for support and rainbows straight up your butt. Some of us (such as myself) prefer to motivate through giving it to you straight.

Personally, I respond better to being told straight to my face. If I were to come on these boards and whine about not losing weight (or what have you, it's just an analogy for pity's sake) but if you looked at my diary and it was full of junk and fast food etc. You'd know why I wasn't losing weight. NOW. If you told me "It's okay, just wipe the slate clean and move on!"... I guarantee that'd hit me about as hard as a fly on Godzilla's butt. If you told me "Look lady, you're shoving crap into your piehole. STOP IT."

If nobody is blatantly calling you ignorant or just making straight name calls at you, I see no problem in the commentary. All kinds of people are on these boards. You open yourself up to them when you post. The founding fathers gave us all the Freedom of Speech and just like some think people like myself shouldn't exercise it, the street goes both ways.

I understand what you're saying, and I am actually the same why. In most aspects I like things to be given to me straight forwards. No bs, no teeter-tottering, no 'sparing my feelings' just plain out tell me.

But there is a significant difference between telling it how it is, and being rude and distasteful. If you were eating too much and I was your friend I'd be like "That's a little much- don't complain later if you feel guilty!" but I would NOT say "WOW... eat much? That's going to make you really fat..."

Do you see the difference?

And people were straight out belittling me, which should not be tolerated on a site called My Fitness PAL. It's not My Fitness Jerk.

And this isn't a snide remark at you either, what you said was just bad timing. What other people have said to me was plain out RUDE.

On a post earlier, I messed up some terminology- literally one term- and suddenly I was a world class idiot. It was as if no one else on that board had ever used the wrong term in their life.

I was dumb, and I was wrong, and therefore my opinion was trash.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

really cause I was reading that thread when it got pulled,and never once did I see someone belittle your intelligence.Or call you an idiotTelling someone hey i dont think your right is not belittleing your intelligence its callled disagreeing.

Okay, I'm not going to argue with you. It was my thread, and I did read every single post on there, but I'm done arguing with people who are apparently smarter than I am.

(That wasn't rude, by the way. That was passive aggressive/sarcastic)
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    Just be the better person and walk away from it
  • voluptas63
    Options
    Look.

I understand what you're saying, and I am actually the same why. In most aspects I like things to be given to me straight forwards. No bs, no teeter-tottering, no 'sparing my feelings' just plain out tell me.

But there is a significant difference between telling it how it is, and being rude and distasteful. If you were eating too much and I was your friend I'd be like "That's a little much- don't complain later if you feel guilty!" but I would NOT say "WOW... eat much? That's going to make you really fat..."

And people were straight out belittling me, which should not be tolerated on a site called My Fitness PAL. It's not My Fitness Jerk.

And this isn't a snide remark at you either, what you said was just bad timing. What other people have said to me was plain out RUDE.

On a post earlier, I messed up some terminology- literally one term- and suddenly I was a world class idiot. It was as if no one else on that board had ever used the wrong term in their life.

I learned a LONG time ago and perhaps it is something that you should learn since you're young (Hell, when did I get so old?)...

We choose how we react to how people treat us. We can sit and wallow and pity or we can move on. We can dwell or we can tell ourselves "Y'know what? That person is WRONG about me. I am not xyz. I am abc." We choose our reactions to others and to give them a reaction that they want, then they've won and you might as well just give up right then and there.
  • SeeMeShrinkDown
    Options
    If you post something that is wrong, people are going to call you on it. And if they have a different opinion from you, they are going to express it. That doesn't make folks mean, snarky or rude. I saw the previous BMR-RMR or whatever thread too, and the only one being rude imo was you.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

Okay, I'm not going to argue with you. It was my thread, and I did read every single post on there, but I'm done arguing with people who are apparently smarter than I am.

(That wasn't rude, by the way. That was passive aggressive/sarcastic)

ok you know what its a WEBSITE with hundrads of people from all over,really if you cant handle people not falling all over themselves to agree with you then maybe you should stay away the forums and POOF your problem is solved. And some people might argue that being sarcastic is rude.Cool that means I can go run and start a thread on the lack of support.:laugh:

(that wasnt rude or sarcastic that was just the truth,incase you needed some clarification)
  • voluptas63
    Options

....WEBSITE with hundrads

*hundreds ;)
    (That wasn't passive aggressive/sarcasm/truth. That was straight up smartass.)
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

....WEBSITE with hundrads

*hundreds ;)
    (That wasn't passive aggressive/sarcasm/truth. That was straight up smartass.)

No that was hilarious!!!!!!!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've never been attacked on mfp, and I get amazing support from my friends here. I took Lent off mfp and I missed all of that so much.

On the other hand, there are people, and some of them the very same people who support me so well as friends, who enjoy pointing out when things are getting ridiculous... And I'm sure you've seen that they do. Sometimes, being unconditionally supportive is simply being fake.

I enjoy the Tom-foolery on mfp. Personally, I do my very best not to offend anyone, but I like the honesty of those who are not saccharin sweet all the time.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I have found an amazing amount of support - and dare I say love - on MFP and I have only been here a year. It comes from the smart, beautiful, dedicated, imperfect but perfectly supportive people who live in my friends list.

When I venture into the forums I am leaving my insular group and open myself up to people that may not be people I want to add. Just because someone disagrees with me or takes me to task does not make them bad people - and in fact, I am quite different in many ways from some of the people I adore the most here.

I think people are confusing a supportive atmosphere with one that is just enabling and full of yes-men. If I were to consider undertaking a dangerous diet and people called me on it - guess what? That's supportive, too. Support does not equal virtual group hugs and kumbaya sing-a-longs.

The more people complain about how MFP isn't the great place it used to be, the more they are making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not adding anything constructive to the community.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    snarky.jpg
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Look.

I learned a LONG time ago and perhaps it is something that you should learn since you're young (Hell, when did I get so old?)...

We choose how we react to how people treat us. We can sit and wallow and pity or we can move on. We can dwell or we can tell ourselves "Y'know what? That person is WRONG about me. I am not xyz. I am abc." We choose our reactions to others and to give them a reaction that they want, then they've won and you might as well just give up right then and there.

This is definitely a lesson I need to learn, I am entirely too proud I think.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    snarky.jpg

I like this.

Are you a channer? If not just ignore I ever said anything and move on, because I probably look crazy. O.O
This discussion has been closed.