July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic will be interested to hear what you think of the squishable water bottles. I keep looking at them but can't really justify the cost when I have loads of rigid bottles.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic will be interested to hear what you think of the squishable water bottles. I keep looking at them but can't really justify the cost when I have loads of rigid bottles.

I've got some squishy bottles. They look a bit like these and I carry them in hand for shorter runs (<10km in summer, <15km in winter) when I don't want a backpack or a belt. They are a bit annoying but it's better than dying of thirst. Tried out a bunch of brands and some cheapo knock-off was the only one that didn't leak :flushed:

I've also got a bigger one that looks similar to this, that I use for flying and traveling. It's too big and unwieldy for running though.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile DANG! Racing those conditions is insane! And to do so well, yousa rockstar!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I have 2 squishable bottles that are very good quality, but I can not figure out how people actually hold them and drink from them on the run. I do not think I have ever used them. If you have a USA shipping address I can probably mail them to you, international shipping would be too expensive for me though.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

I have 2 squishable bottles that are very good quality, but I can not figure out how people actually hold them and drink from them on the run. I do not think I have ever used them. If you have a USA shipping address I can probably mail them to you, international shipping would be too expensive for me though.

@PastorVincent lol! I can't drink from ANYTHING on the run without showering on the go! As I do run-walk-run that isn't an issue though luckily. Thanks for the offer but not necessary :smile:
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Great job!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    7-1 rest
    7-2 7k intervals
    7-3 7k moderate
    7-4 rest

July Total: 14k
    July Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k

Monthly average: 148.1k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Scheduled rest day today. Picnic with the extended family and fireworks tonight.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Oh yeah, happy party day to all of yous Americans!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    It’s hot in Houston but an afternoon rain cooled things off enough for me to run at a local park before dark. I usually run in the neighborhood at dusk and later due to the heat.

Hey! I’m from Houston too! I know there are a few other people in this thread from Texas. Probably not surprising; it’s a big state! I am north, near The Woodlands. If we end up at the same race one of these days, we will have to meet up!

I like to run right after work, so I am relegated to the treadmill most of the summer, but it was nice yesterday. Getting bored of the rain, but it has given some nice little windows where you can actually be outside without having a heat stroke!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I'm in. for the first time. I will try for 50 miles, walking or running, because I can't really guess what I can do.

Welcome!

The important thing is to start slow and easy. It is also seemingly the hardest thing for a new runner to grasp. :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It’s hot in Houston but an afternoon rain cooled things off enough for me to run at a local park before dark. I usually run in the neighborhood at dusk and later due to the heat.

Hey! I’m from Houston too! I know there are a few other people in this thread from Texas. Probably not surprising; it’s a big state! I am north, near The Woodlands. If we end up at the same race one of these days, we will have to meet up!

I like to run right after work, so I am relegated to the treadmill most of the summer, but it was nice yesterday. Getting bored of the rain, but it has given some nice little windows where you can actually be outside without having a heat stroke!

Hello neighbor! I live on the West Side. I know it would be far for you but they have a free timed 5k Parkrun at Terry Hershey Park every Saturday morning. We walk over to the coffee shop afterwards to visit. I’m still a new runner and haven’t done any races yet.