July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Participated in a 5k last night. I ran the first 1.37 at a slow but steady pace without stopping (that was 17 minutes and 3 seconds and the farthest I have run without stopping). Then I stopped running. I told myself I would continue running after walking 2 minutes but I could not get my legs to go back to a run. I ended up walking the rest except for a few short distances where I gave some effort to running.

Well done! We all started somewhere...
  • Tramboman
    I'm in. for the first time. I will try for 50 miles, walking or running, because I can't really guess what I can do.

Welcome!

The important thing is to start slow and easy. It is also seemingly the hardest thing for a new runner to grasp. :)

Yeah, and here's where I'm going to stop lurking and chime in: I STILL haven't fully embraced slow and easy - I had a minute there where I thought I understood it, but I'm still struggling with it anyway. This is year 9 of my running career. When do you stop being a *new* runner?

I've been itching to participate in the discussion here, more, but actually participating in the challenge tends to make that slow and easy thing even harder. Maybe I could set a goal of "No More Than 'X' Miles."

I don't know if we ever fully embrace "slow and easy;" it's something we have to work on every time we attempt to do a slow run.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Congratulations @rheddmobile on that race. Sounds fun and interesting. I hope your nemesis isn't injured. Maybe she's just tired of beating your kitten. Hahaha!

Congratulations to the rest of you that made it out in this heat. Yuck.

I walked today. Did not er.. decided to go outside, no tm. I'm feeling stir crazy kinda. And ugh, am I getting faaaat. I don't know how far I walked, I forgot to stop my Garmin in the quest for water and a/c. Probably about 2 miles.

No critters. There was a large wooly worm sort of thing, but he was light yellow and in a hurry. So I dismissed him.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Well done @MobyCarp
  • rjedwards96
    rjedwards96 Posts: 11 Member
    exercise.png[img][/img]
  • rjedwards96
    rjedwards96 Posts: 11 Member
    well, that didn't work. On the website, it says I ran two miles, and did. But I can't see it on the above
  • Tramboman
    @MobyCarp Another great report and a great race. Congratulations!
  • PastorVincent
    well, that didn't work. On the website, it says I ran two miles, and did. But I can't see it on the above

Tickers take some time to update. Just go get a drink and forget about it. When you come back later it will have fixed itself. :)
  • PastorVincent
    BTW - when I said it was stupid hot for my run I meant:

h0tpbfldjc2q.png

Yeah, that is why my pace was over 3/min/mile slower than normal and I cut it short at 11 miles. heh.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    Congrats on the AG win and great splits @MobyCarp!

Way to go on that hot 10 mile race @katharmonic! And yes, I could eat my weight in lobster rolls given the chance.

Congratulations @Samantharavenclaw84 on your 5k. Great that you ran farther than you ever had before!
  • PastorVincent
    @katharmonic Well done!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member

Could be just another case of “ticker lag”. I can see the 2 mile. Way to go! Hey since it’s so hot and we’ve all tortured ourselves out in it, why not we all come over and you take us out on that lake for a cold one.😉 maybe some floatin’ in an upside-down life jacket worn like pants... and we can all watch the fireworks after @PastorVincent cooks up some of them kosher dogs and a few brats.... just a thought ya know...