July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @PastorVincent that is amazing! My daughter is studying astrophysics and we travelled to SC for Eclipse ‘17. Does your telescope/camera lens work kind of like the eclipse viewing binoculars?

Yes and no :)

The scope would not work for a total eclipse as it blocks too much light. So. Nothing like eclipse viewing binos. But I can put an eyepiece in it and view the sun directly on any given day where it is not blocked by clouds. That is actually what the set up is meant for. I have some adapters and such to allow me to put my camera directly on it. I do have eclipse viewing glasses, which I used down in Nashville for the recent eclipse. That was totally cool.

This scope is a white light scope, I have a different set up to get me more of the orange bands, but that requires a lot more time to set up and it has been mostly cloudy here for years.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Hi I'm completely new to running and have no idea what distance I should be starting with or how many days a week I should be running. I'm not completely unfit but I'm also not a consistent exerciser. Any advice warmly welcome 😁 . Starting with my first run tomorrow

I also suggest c25k. It is a 9 week program using an app or podcasts (I used the NHS podcasts). I started c25k in February of this year at over 50 and it is an amazing program to build endurance. My biggest mistake in the program was the first two weeks I tried to run too fast. Run very slowly. Slower than you would think. Barely jogging. Speed comes later after you build endurance. I still have to remind myself to slow down during training runs.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,884 Member
    edited July 2019
    @shanaber Glad the quake wasn't too bad where you were and glad there were no serious injuries. Enjoy your trip.

@rheddmobile So funny that the little guy looks to his older brother for reassurance. I'm lucky that my dog isn't affected by fireworks.

@MobyCarp Hope you are feeling better today!

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @PastorVincent and @simcon1 Awesome pictures!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Hi I'm completely new to running and have no idea what distance I should be starting with or how many days a week I should be running. I'm not completely unfit but I'm also not a consistent exerciser. Any advice warmly welcome 😁 . Starting with my first run tomorrow

Welcome! The neat thing about exercise is that anything that is more activity than what you are currently doing will give you huge benefits! So start where you are, wherever that is, and build from there. When I started running a couple of years ago I was speed-walking 10-15 minutes at a time several days a week, and had gotten to a point where that wasn’t much effort anymore. I looked at c25k but was intimidated by the idea of working out for a half hour at a time, so instead I just added running intervals to my 10 minute walks every other day, gradually increasing the distance until I wasn’t waking anymore. It took a good long time, but that’s totally normal. Just remember the cardinal rule of running: if you’re struggling, run slower.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @Teresa502 I thought it was great that @rheddmobile is that in touch with her cats. I talk to some people with cats and they don't know them they just exist together. We're rural, and hear frequent gun shots. I assume it practice or a critters where it shouldn't be. I lived in Dallas and it was nightly in some places. All of my animals are scared of both. Although the kitten had picked up on, "mom's not concerned, so I must be okay" and doesn't freak out anymore.