• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Well done!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    Frank Meza found dead

I seem to remember some discussion about this guy a while back. He has been a part of quite some controversy re: cheating and cutting marathon courses. It seems there are still a lot of unanswered questions as to what happened.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It’s hot in Houston but an afternoon rain cooled things off enough for me to run at a local park before dark. I usually run in the neighborhood at dusk and later due to the heat.

Hey! I’m from Houston too! I know there are a few other people in this thread from Texas. Probably not surprising; it’s a big state! I am north, near The Woodlands. If we end up at the same race one of these days, we will have to meet up!

I like to run right after work, so I am relegated to the treadmill most of the summer, but it was nice yesterday. Getting bored of the rain, but it has given some nice little windows where you can actually be outside without having a heat stroke!

Hello neighbor! I live on the West Side. I know it would be far for you but they have a free timed 5k Parkrun at Terry Hershey Park every Saturday morning. We walk over to the coffee shop afterwards to visit. I’m still a new runner and haven’t done any races yet.

Good to know! It is quite a ways, but I have been curious about Parkrun after seeing several people on this thread talk about their local ones.

I was really curious how it worked and live about 15 minutes from the location. The website has you register in advance and print a barcode. This is your personal barcode each time you show up, I keep mine in a ziplock bag in my wsistpack so it won’t get sweaty. I printed extras to keep in the car as well. At the finish you are handed a chip and told the number identifying your finish place overall. You then take the chip and your barcode to the timekeeper. He/she scans the chip barcode and your personal barcode and you are told your time. Several walk over to the coffee shop after the event to visit while the organizers use the coffee shop WiFi to post the overall results on the web. It is all run by volunteers. I have definitely enjoyed the two events I have attended and plan to continue to go.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Frank Meza found dead

I seem to remember some discussion about this guy a while back. He has been a part of quite some controversy re: cheating and cutting marathon courses. It seems there are still a lot of unanswered questions as to what happened.

Gosh. Well, I guess he won’t get a chance to run with an observer and resolve questions about his abilities. Wonder what happened to him, the police seem to be being coy about it. Thanks for posting.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman @Scott6255 @PastorVincent @Teresa502 @katharmonic Thank you!

The race is always fun. I'm sort of bummed I don't have another race coming up to train for, but also sort of relieved that I don't have an excuse about having to train and therefore can't be in a caloric deficit.

07.01: 3.0M Taper Run (3.1)
    07.02: Extra Rest Day
    07.03: 2.0M Taper Run (5.1)
    07.04: Peachtree Road Race 10K (11.3)
    07.05: Active recovery day. Walked-no running distance. (11.3)

July Running Miles: 11.3/85

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I have to work 5 shifts in a row starting tomorrow. Yuck.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    When I planed today as a rest day with a run tomorrow, I should have checked the forecast...

2felafp6b2qs.png

• Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Great Race! I love the 15K/10M distance!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all!

Gah been crazy and lazy so haven't been running. Managed 3 times this week, I guess that's part of being on track. Oh if I run tomorrow that will be 4 times haha.

Did a Parkrun this morning, loved it. I'm going to volunteer every second week, to get involved and hopefully make some friends.

Now sitting on the couch with 2 sick kids while hubby has some alone time to go shopping etc.

Oh BIG NEWS! our house sold! We got what we wanted so yay! Now we get to house hunt. We offered on one place but the vendors decided to remove it from the market instead. Not sure what's going on there but what ever. It was the perfect house, in the perfect location, but neither of us were attached to it. Does that make sense. I feel like I should be more disappointed but despite being the perfect house, it didn't make us excited?

Congrats!!! That's a big weight off you.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all!

Gah been crazy and lazy so haven't been running. Managed 3 times this week, I guess that's part of being on track. Oh if I run tomorrow that will be 4 times haha.

Did a Parkrun this morning, loved it. I'm going to volunteer every second week, to get involved and hopefully make some friends.

Now sitting on the couch with 2 sick kids while hubby has some alone time to go shopping etc.

Oh BIG NEWS! our house sold! We got what we wanted so yay! Now we get to house hunt. We offered on one place but the vendors decided to remove it from the market instead. Not sure what's going on there but what ever. It was the perfect house, in the perfect location, but neither of us were attached to it. Does that make sense. I feel like I should be more disappointed but despite being the perfect house, it didn't make us excited?

YAY!!!
  • GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    JJuly running goal 120 miles

July 2: 13.2 miles
    July 3: 7.2 miles
    July 5: 2.1 miles

Total: 22.5 miles
    Remain to goal: 97.5 miles

Hot Summer Miles continue!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    simcon1 wrote: »
    Finally joining in for July! I managed 3 runs in New Zealand, which wasn’t bad considering a really packed work schedule. And even got some mountain biking in with some online friends I’ve known for 16+ years and never met. We ended up going to Rotorua because they were coming from Palmerston North, and I was coming from Hamilton, and their kids like to go mountain biking in Rotorua. Thanks so much to @ContraryMaryMary for the great suggestions and intel.. I also successfully navigated about 300 roundabouts driving on the left (my true success!)

The first two runs were close to Hamilton, the city where my conference was, but for my long run I went to a rail trail through the Karangahake Gorge, which was lovely.

k90566u2i9zy.jpeg
    1of6l0qzw7d2.jpeg
    np64u04mach4.jpeg

And one of those runs, the 10-miler, just happened to be on the 1st, so a great July start! Then I ran another 5 miles here on the 4th, and that was really lovely. Both were probably in the 60s—in NZ it’s winter (but I ran in the afternoons) and here it doesn’t usually heat up until later in the summer, so it’s staying cool. So everyone, quick, fly out here for nice cool & comfortable runs before the wildfire season starts and it gets smoky!

So in any case, by being able to maintain running while traveling for most of the month, I blew 15 miles past my safe 60-mile goal, so I think I’ll shoot for 80 miles this month. That would be my all-time high if I make it! I did drop any plans for the late July sprint triathlon, though—too complicated to train for, and while I didn’t have any really sleep-disrupting jetlag, I’m definitely not 100% back mentally. Seems fine to run on half a brain, though..

July goal: 80 mi

7/1 10 mi
    7/4 5 mi

July total: 15 mi

2019 Races:
    3/16 Kirkland Shamrock Run 5K
    4/13 Mud & Chocolate 4.5 mi trail run
    5/5 Vancouver BMO Half Marathon
    5/12 The Color Run 5K
    5/18 Your Canyon for a Day 35 mi Bike Tour, Yakima

8/11 Lake Union 10K
    9/22 Orca Half Marathon?

Great work, I was actually thinking about you on my run this morning and wondering how you were got on over here. I'm thrilled you got a few runs in (and bike rides). And great photos - that's the New Zealand I know and love. Karangahake Gorge is stunning.