What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    @drmwc, impressive that your last round was the fastest. That’s a goal of mine when doing running intervals that I’ve yet to achieve.

Good job!

Thanks. I find always get an adrenaline boost on the final set, as I am happy it is nearly over.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    7/7/2019 - early afternoon at park -

0:30 farmers carry with pair of 20kg KB and 0:30 walking recovery for 60 rounds = exactly 1 hour and 2.43 miles - average HR = 117 bpm (65 percent) maximum HR = 129 bpm (72 percent) total 284 calories according to Garmin.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Took two days off on the 4th and 5th for family time. Went back at it yesterday. Was supposed to be 90 minutes easy at the gym. Did well overall, but got carried away once on the rower (of course!). Most of it was 130 to 140 HR stuff but the sprint on the rower spiked it to 170+. Just for a few minutes.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Had to scale back the pull-up program. Felt myself getting a touch burned out on it. I also programed it incorrectly and as a result there were just too many reps. Never really got sore (good thing) but all in all it was getting to be too much. I reworked the numbers and today was day 1...

07/8
    AM

Handstand Pushup - Pavel Fighter Progression (3RM) Day 1/30
    *On a Yoga Block
    3-2-1-1 (7)
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (12R Max) Day 1/30
    10-8-6-4-2 (30)
    *15RM was too much. I also did not program properly

Yoga
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 10 Rounds

Animal Flow
    Daily 5

Meditate

Press handstand core work later this afternoon...
  • pierinifitness
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @J72FIT, I believe scaling back the pull-ups program like you did will be a breath of fresh air as is generally the case whenever we “deload.”

The progression programs always seem to get tough the latter part of week #2 or the beginning of week #3.

Keep marching forward.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Holiday weekend workouts:

Thursday - 4.2 mile walk, hills
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - pool workout (pool walking, swimming, and aerobics)
    Sunday - 4.23 mile walk, hills
  • DFasso23
    DFasso23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My workout was V Shred.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @J72FIT, I believe scaling back the pull-ups program like you did will be a breath of fresh air as is generally the case whenever we “deload.”

The progression programs always seem to get tough the latter part of week #2 or the beginning of week #3.

Keep marching forward.

This time around I found a more precise way to calculate the reps.
    Set 1 - 100%
    Set 2 - 80% of set 1
    Set 3 - 60% of set 1
    Set 4 - 40% of set 1
    Set 5 - 20% of set 1

The following week you add 20% to your top set and so on and so forth.

We'll see if this makes a difference...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Coxed a novice 8 this morning. I really enjoyed it, in part because it wasn't a situation where most if not all of the people were more experienced than I was and thus I had a fair amount of confidence. Of the people in my boat, 3 of them were not totally new novices and the other 5 were just out of learn to row novices. I also did an awesome job docking.

I might bike this afternoon or evening, but we'll see.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Does getting out of bed count? LOL :neutral:
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Kettle bell swings for cardio and shoulder day
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Lifting and carrying heavy boxes for an hour! Later today I plan to do some cardio on the stairclimber. We’ll see.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Bench Press Warm up
    5 x 20.0 kg (44lb) x 3

Bench Press Main
    5 x 25.0 kg (55lb) x 2
    7 x 30.0 kg (66lb)

Bench Press Boring but BIG sets
    10 x 22.5 kg (49lb) x 5

Close grip bench press
    10 x 20.0 kg (44lb) x 5

Crosstrainer x 10 mins

where were you 6 months ago? lol, i just now discovered the joys of warm up sets, wish i had sooner!

today, using dumbbells and pulley machine;

military press warmups
    military press (2x10, 1x9...couldn't get that last freaking rep in)
    deadlift warmups
    deadlifts (3x8)
    lat pulldown warmups
    lat pulldowns (3x10)
    about an hour on the dreadmill at a brisk pace (4.5)

i really really struggle with military presses. i used to do them last but had to move them to first, i was dead by the end of them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Another Monday, another 6.9k rowing a double, this time with a guy who just finished the learn-to-row class last week. He's doing much better than average IMO, and is remarkably coachable, more than most of the new rowers . . . and much more than I was in my earliest season(s) of rowing, since I had roughly no kinesthetic sense at all at the time. ;) (Even that can improve at age 40+; these days I can almost feel things, not just abstractly form and test theories about them. :lol: )
  • stephsjourney2019
    stephsjourney2019 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    5 miles running 5 miles biking
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    weight machines: 5 sets of 12-10 reps of leg press progression of 155 lb to 185 lbs; had to drop to lower starting point as out of town for a week), hip adduction and abduction (60 lbs to 80), and deadlift with smith machine; trying to establish weight to load - started with 40 lbs in addition to bar, and back squat on smith machine; also 40 pounds.

Cardio: 45 minutes spin class (seems to help stretch out quads :-)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    12 x 500m/1 minute rest on the rower again. 10 minutes W/U on the AirDyne Pro (air bike/assault style bike) before that.

Improved a lot from last week. Still not a great idea to "fly and die". Very painful. Should have used my time from last week as a "benchmark" for the first four/five reps and then gradually tried to speed up from there. Instead, I like punishment! Pretty much fell off a cliff at rep 10. Still almost a 2 second improvement on average from last week. That's a big jump.

v1knjbrngv8s.png
    crj6htidb71b.jpg
    bxq0fdfewhub.jpg
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Get moving Monday (as named by my trainer)

30min PT, squats, star jumps (not jacks), press ups, bench crunch and burpees, plus some suicides and sprints. Definitely not easing me in for the week.

Short recovery run - 15min easy pace and cool down to 1.5miles.

5/3/1 cycle 2 week 3 squats and shoulder press. Didn't do any accessory work as had barbell in the evening. Was nice to finally get back to 40kg for squats.

Tabata - 30min, sweaty with a full round of burpees

Barbell - did this outside tonight so nice and cool. Nearly got all the way through the shoulder track tonight so it might be time to up the weight when I start my new lifting cycle.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    13 mile bike ride today
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    7/8/2019 - at park early afternoon - don’t work on Monday so doubled up my workouts getting ready for a 6-mile fun run the end of this month.

#1 - superset alternating pull-ups and chin-ups x 5 plus double 24kg KB farmers carry for 0:45 every 2:00 for 10 rounds- last carry was 1:00 rather than 0:45 - completed 10 rounds in 19:32.

#2 - Double 24kg KB overhead press every 2:00 for 10 rounds completed in 18:26. Rounds 3, 7 and 10 were 3 reps and other rounds were 2 reps. Pair of 24kg KB for overhead press = HEAVY for me.

#3 - Run 4.0 miles slow in 44:13.

#4 - Sprint 8 run workout - run fast 0:30 and run recover slow for 1:30 for 8 rounds = 1.46 miles in 16:00 - fastest mile pace was round 3 at 6:52, all rounds were 7:35 mile pace or faster except round 1 at 8:15 mile pace.