What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Grease the Groove pull-ups and stand pushups, and yoga. Press handstand core strength work later tonight...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Erg'ing at uni - BPP week 4/3: 6,500m steady state. I was tired going in and I felt dehydrated despite drinking water throughout my hour long class prior but was ok on the erg. My average split was 1 second faster than the first 6,500m of the plan which I did last Friday. I tried to stay at the previous pace, but said screw it after how hard I was working to stay around 2:08 as opposed to under 2:08.

I'll be starting sculling lessons in a few weeks as well which means I'll be OTW four days a week! I suspect my Tuesday/Friday erging schedule will stay the same, but depending on what happens after the beginning classes end I might end up changing some things erg wise - either erging in the evening instead of the morning or cutting out erging until the winter. It's really dependent on how my body deals with it, how on top of eating enough I am, and how much sleep I'm able to get.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Really nice pace Aokoye for a SS erg row. I can only dream of those paces currently! Seem far away for me now.

I said I wouldn't get too involved in paces/metrics as I recover, but I did find my Phone Cradle after the move (finally) and hooked up ErgData to my row today. Good news is, I was able to pass the time watching my Stroke Distance (still around 1.33 meters) and see what my Drive Time was. I concentrated on the Drive time to try to keep it at .7 seconds or less and the row went by fast. Still slow (2:22 today), but that's to be expected for now. Did 7500m. Finished with 20 minutes on the Air Bike @ 122 Watts.

This the first week that I've done 30K meters in quite a long time. Really need to be at 60K to 75K meters to see rapid improvements. I just joined back with LA Fitness in Tucson. I'll only likely go on Sunday and they have crappy rowers there. I might do 3 10K sessions next week on my long, slow days and do other things while at the gym on Sunday. They have an abysmal rower brand that crushes your back and knees. The shame about it is that this rower costs 3X as much as a new Concept2. You would think LA Fitness would have a clue about rowers. I suspect they lease these from the same vendor they get the rest of their equipment from.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Right around 7K, comfortable SS pace, OTW in a double. Cool, cloudy, enough East wind to make some long rollers (not alarmingly large, just mildly annoying) at the West 1/3 or thereabouts of our usual river course . . . just to keep the West-end spin more entertaining, I guess. ;) Continuous except for a quick water break at both spin points.

(Boathouse is somewhat central between two bridges; we row a circle. Possible to row East under bridges to a dam a short way away, not mostly worth the effort because annoying cooling towers and such. Possible to row West for maybe 15K, at least until later in the season when the weeds get bad, and the powerboats zoom scarily through the narrow blind curves. Sometimes we row up that way, for varying distances. Nice: Wilder-looking surroundings and usually more wildlife.)
    aokoye wrote: »
    Erg'ing at uni - BPP week 4/3: 6,500m steady state. I was tired going in and I felt dehydrated despite drinking water throughout my hour long class prior but was ok on the erg. My average split was 1 second faster than the first 6,500m of the plan which I did last Friday. I tried to stay at the previous pace, but said screw it after how hard I was working to stay around 2:08 as opposed to under 2:08.

I'll be starting sculling lessons in a few weeks as well which means I'll be OTW four days a week! I suspect my Tuesday/Friday erging schedule will stay the same, but depending on what happens after the beginning classes end I might end up changing some things erg wise - either erging in the evening instead of the morning or cutting out erging until the winter. It's really dependent on how my body deals with it, how on top of eating enough I am, and how much sleep I'm able to get.

Kudos for signing up for the sculling. It may or may not be your cup of tea, some prefer it and some don't, but it will likely help your technique if you make it into a single. The difference in hands' assignments is confusing at first, but switching from scull to sweep eventually becomes second nature and automatic.

I'm personally better off with 4 days a week of rowing, something else on the days between (it's usually spin). But I'm old, and have some body issues to baby. Lots of folk do fine with every day rowing, including multi-session, of course.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    All at park - Alternating pull-ups and chin-ups - 100 reps in 29:17. Bar dips - 100 reps in 17:04. LATER - Run 2:40 walk 0:20 for 10 rounds = 3.07 miles in 30 minutes.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    300 in 30: Day 03
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    010|300 Miles - 31:53
    020|300 Miles - 29:19
    030|300 Miles - 29:45
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga class last night. After all the kicking I can barely lift my right leg.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    1.5 mile walk
    45 min BodyPump class (current ‘squats for DAYS’ edition)
    45 min aerobics class (though I have to go low impact unless my perma-broken, arthritic ankle is having a spectacularly good day)
    45 min BodyBalance class (minus the 8 min of relaxation which I skipped)
    1.5 mile walk back to where I parked the car

...that should set me up nicely for tonight’s dinner with friends :)
  • Slackpacker
    Slackpacker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Going out to hike a part of the Appalachian Trail this wonderful foggy morning.
  • SteroidalLolita
    SteroidalLolita Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First time strength training for half an hour last night at 7pm and again for another 15 this morning at 5:30. I hurt, someone end my misery.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    1.5 mile walk
    45 min BodyPump class (current ‘squats for DAYS’ edition)
    45 min aerobics class (though I have to go low impact unless my perma-broken, arthritic ankle is having a spectacularly good day)
    45 min BodyBalance class (minus the 8 min of relaxation which I skipped)
    1.5 mile walk back to where I parked the car

...that should set me up nicely for tonight’s dinner with friends :)

Wow, you have earned your dinner with this day’s workout volume. I have training days like this too and accordingly eat bigger. Enjoy and feast tonight, you earned it.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm already feeling it. And I thought that a month of Strong Curves would have prepared me xD
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    No bootcamp today but 6 days post marathon and I finally managed an easy 3.1miles to the gym.

I then did a little workout my PT gave me a few months back..

5min warm up on elliptical followed by 10 squats/push ups/sit ups

Then
    150m row 10 burpees/push press (plyo push ups)/kneeling slams
    150m row 9 burpees/push press/slams
    150m row 8 burpees/push press/slams

All the way down to

150m row 1 burpee/push press/slam

5min cool down on rower

10min stretching

First time I've been able to really push myself for months and I was a hot, sweaty mess stripped down to crop top and shorts by the end of the 2nd round. Was really hard work, but felt so good to be so out of breath. Cant wait until next week when my PT can start pushing me even harder again.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a 4.5 mile hike over about 900 feet. Today I am doing 4 hours of derby skating. My back is already wary but I'll rest Sunday!
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    300 in 30: Day 04
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    010|300 Miles - 31:53
    020|300 Miles - 29:19
    030|300 Miles - 29:45
    040|300 Miles - 30:40

Now to spend another 4-5 hours of yard work.
  • aokoye
    Options
    And hour and X minutes (or maybe 2 hours?), in a mixed 8. Two of our boats are at regattas (and it looks like the men's 8 we took won their race) so we we mainly did 2 min races by 4s, 6s, and whole boat. There were a ton of boats out on the water between the three rowing clubs that were practicing plus the dragon boats and the fishing boats...
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Kudos for signing up for the sculling. It may or may not be your cup of tea, some prefer it and some don't, but it will likely help your technique if you make it into a single. The difference in hands' assignments is confusing at first, but switching from scull to sweep eventually becomes second nature and automatic.

I'm personally better off with 4 days a week of rowing, something else on the days between (it's usually spin). But I'm old, and have some body issues to baby. Lots of folk do fine with every day rowing, including multi-session, of course.
    Yeah I'm really excited. I'm hoping I like it. It should help get some kinks out, or at least make me abundantly aware of what I need to work on when I sweep. Once I finish the classes (we'll primarily be in quads and doubles I think), it should also allow my coach a tiny bit more flexibility when we have weird numbers and he needs people to scull. I think he also may have recently gotten two used singles from the Pocock Foundation that are exceedingly difficult to flip, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up in one of those on a Saturday in the summer.

I suspect my body will be ok if I get enough sleep and I don't get sick. Given the season and my not being in an environment with a lot of new people, I probably won't get sick, so it's really the sleep piece. I've finally more or less gotten a handle on that with regards to getting to bed early enough to take into account the early mornings. That said, the surgeries have made me become really aware of when I'm pushing myself too much with regards to intense levels of activity. It's a bit of a silver lining.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    A well-deserved rest day. Went shopping for new lean and mean man clothes.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    20 minutes elliptical
    10 minutes rower
    Assisted pull ups 3x8
    1 mile walk
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    We've been getting luckier with the weather lately. Today was high 40s F and up, virtually no wind, lightly overcast to occasional sun. Pretty wonderful conditions, for this time of year, here.

A little over 7K in a double again today, at a little higher average pressure than yesterday, but slightly more breaks because I was setting up part of the time to let a less-experienced person who was rowing with me do some drills in her first time out this year.

My body's still holding up, so far so good with knees.
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snip>
    Yeah I'm really excited. I'm hoping I like it. It should help get some kinks out, or at least make me abundantly aware of what I need to work on when I sweep. Once I finish the classes (we'll primarily be in quads and doubles I think), it should also allow my coach a tiny bit more flexibility when we have weird numbers and he needs people to scull. I think he also may have recently gotten two used singles from the Pocock Foundation that are exceedingly difficult to flip, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up in one of those on a Saturday in the summer.
    ,snip>

IME, competent sweep rowers pick up sculling really fast. Our club, which is a sculling club, often has people join who swept in college, sometimes a few years back. Normally we just give them some basic instruction about bladework differences, put them in a rec single (a.k.a. "tubbie" in some regions), maybe send out an experienced person alongside (but not always). They generally do fine.

I think you're having a good insight there, about sculling to get more boat time. I feel the same about being bisweptual: I figure if I can row either side, or scull, I get more seats. Being willing/able to cox also creates some goodwill. (I have a t-shirt I got from some Boston rower friends who had a bunch made up. On one side, it says "Row Ho"; on the other "Any boat, any seat, anytime." Some of my local friends find it inappropriate. I think it's funny.)
  • aokoye
    edited May 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    We've been getting luckier with the weather lately. Today was high 40s F and up, virtually no wind, lightly overcast to occasional sun. Pretty wonderful conditions, for this time of year, here.

A little over 7K in a double again today, at a little higher average pressure than yesterday, but slightly more breaks because I was setting up part of the time to let a less-experienced person who was rowing with me do some drills in her first time out this year.

My body's still holding up, so far so good with knees.

IME, competent sweep rowers pick up sculling really fast. Our club, which is a sculling club, often has people join who swept in college, sometimes a few years back. Normally we just give them some basic instruction about bladework differences, put them in a rec single (a.k.a. "tubbie" in some regions), maybe send out an experienced person alongside (but not always). They generally do fine.

I think you're having a good insight there, about sculling to get more boat time. I feel the same about being bisweptual: I figure if I can row either side, or scull, I get more seats. Being willing/able to cox also creates some goodwill. (I have a t-shirt I got from some Boston rower friends who had a bunch made up. On one side, it says "Row Ho"; on the other "Any boat, any seat, anytime." Some of my local friends find it inappropriate. I think it's funny.)

I'm glad you're getting good weather and doubly glad that your knees are holding up!

I got a nice complement during "after rowing coffee" from the registration person when we were talking about my having been okayed for sculling classes despite not rowing for a full 12 months, "...because some people have only rowed 9 or 10 months and are natural athletes" :smiley: My other thought with suclling is that I will eventually move away for grad school, hopefully around Fall 2020, and I would prefer to be able to scull with whatever rowing club I join in the city I end up in.

Also I have a good friend who I would love to get that t-shirt for, though she may very well already have it ;) I don't typically row starboard because of my shoulder injury from last February (I fractured it and managed to escape surgery thanks in part to not trying to do too much too soon - the threat of surgery if I had was a pretty good motivation to rest). I can, but I will feel it in a rather bad way the next day.