Keto Diet Help!!

Options
nikki29m
nikki29m Posts: 8 Member
Hi All! I’m new to the community so hoping to get your thoughts.

I’m about a week into Keto and so far I haven’t lost any weight - in fact I think I’ve gained half a pound. For some background, I’ve tracked all of my macros and have typically stay at 8-15 net carbs a day. My calories are around 1000-1250. I usually come close to my fat and protein goals. I’m 5 feet and looking to lose about 40 pounds. I try to weight life at least three times a week, though I had to lift lighter weights due to dizziness and muscle weakness this week. I used ketone strips and got a “moderate” result so I’m in Ketosis.

Any thoughts on why I haven’t seen any weight loss? I’m at the very end of my period, so maybe that’s the culprit? I’m not sure I was expecting the dramatic weight loss I read about here, but seeing no weight loss at all despite diet and exercise is frustrating...

Replies

• nikki29m
    Options
    I typically eat at a 300-600 calorie deficit as I know calories matter. I cook my own food, and yes I weigh things.

I’m getting really demotivated. While I know people are going to say that I should be patient, I’m really struggling to understand how everyone is seeing these great numbers the first couple of weeks, and I’m not seeing any. Even before I went strict Keto, I was watching my carbs and eating at a deficit. Outside of going down to 0 carbs or going below 900 calories a day, I’m at a loss for what else I can do.

I tried intermittent fasting for three months as well (yes, eating at deficit and working out) and nothing. Maybe a medical issue?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virtue no matter which WOE you choose. Don't change things up too quickly or you will never find out what actually works for you.

Good luck.
  • nikki29m
    Options
    For me, it’s more confusion. Everyone touts calories in versus calories out. Even if I stripped out the Keto thing, I’ve still been eating at a deficit for months at this point and I have a .4 lb weight loss to show for it. I understand patience, but that just doesn’t mathematically make sense. At this rate, I would hit my goal weight in 2030. I guess at what point should patience turn to concern?
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea to check with your doctor to see if something is going on with your body. I had "Keto flu" around the end of my first week of keto (dizziness, not feeling well), but it went away quickly. I've maintained since March, but I still use and love my keto WOE. I have to add extra carbs, just in moderation. Wishing you a successful journey!
  • tooshie85
    tooshie85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you are definitely not eating enough! A 5-foot woman who is literally sleeping (so no physical movement) needs 1100 calories for the body to function - pump blood, breath, brain synapses, etc. Each inch taller than 5 feet requires an additional 100 calories. Remember, this is just to SURVIVE while in bed. Just be awake and doing normal life things like brushing your teeth, walking to your car, etc. burns calories, so your body need more. Then, if you add exercise, then you need even more to simply have your body function properly! with you eating 1200 or less, your body is in preservation mode. So you're basically counteracting your efforts by eating too little. the fact that you're getting dizzy and feeling weak is a sign that your body is not being nourished - that's its way of warning you to back off and give it better care. I am 5'1", 34 years old and moderately active (5 workouts per week: 3 power yogas, 1 walk for 45-60 min and 1 run for 30-45 min). I eat anywhere from 2500-3500 calories per day! I don't follow any diet. When I eat less than 1500 calories, then after a few days, my body fights back... I get tired, congested/allergies flare up, and BINGE eat badly (like 5000-6000 calories), so basically it all averages out again but in a mentally and physically painful way. I'd love to talk to you more. I have a lengthy history in nutrition and also am involved in the keto community. Like i said, i don't follow the keto diet, however, i started taking exogenous ketones to help with my mental health. Either way, please, please, please EAT MORE! You are harming your body!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    nikki29m wrote: »
    For me, it’s more confusion. Everyone touts calories in versus calories out. Even if I stripped out the Keto thing, I’ve still been eating at a deficit for months at this point and I have a .4 lb weight loss to show for it. I understand patience, but that just doesn’t mathematically make sense. At this rate, I would hit my goal weight in 2030. I guess at what point should patience turn to concern?

Are you using a food scale?
  • nikki29m
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I am!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Increase calories. My first couple of weeks eating keto, I was eating almost 2000 calories a day and dropped weight.

After two weeks in, my calorie intake dropped just due to appetite suppression of the diet, still trying to get in 1300-1500 a day.

Unless a doctor ordered you to drop that low due to a critical health issue.

Being in a ketogenic state, when your liver is producing ketones... Your body is already mimicking a starvation state.

Also eating keto really screws with electrolytes. So keep an eye on potassium, sodium, and magnesium levels, this does affect weight loss, and with too low of calories, plus working out, and electrolytes low and out of balance, this can cause heart failure.

• nikki29m
    Options
    Thanks all! Definitely hear you in calories. For my context, I’m only five feet y’all. Adding in that I’m also trying to lose weight, that’s what all the doctors and apps are suggesting (1200-1300 calories). I will say that there are days I don’t hit those calories because I’m not hungry...

Also, good call out on the electrolytes. They’re really messing me up. I need to get a better handle on that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I typically eat at a 300-600 calorie deficit as I know calories matter. I cook my own food, and yes I weigh things.

I’m getting really demotivated. While I know people are going to say that I should be patient, I’m really struggling to understand how everyone is seeing these great numbers the first couple of weeks, and I’m not seeing any. Even before I went strict Keto, I was watching my carbs and eating at a deficit. Outside of going down to 0 carbs or going below 900 calories a day, I’m at a loss for what else I can do.

I tried intermittent fasting for three months as well (yes, eating at deficit and working out) and nothing. Maybe a medical issue?

You are petite at 5' tall, so weight loss will be slow.....period. Your deficit of 300-600 calories is from your maintenance (TDEE) correct? TDEE is at best an estimate.

0 carbs will do absolutely nothing for you if you are not at a calorie deficit. 900 calories is dangerous. Yes, you would lose weight more quickly but a larger % of that is going to be lean muscle loss. Healthy weight loss helps you lower your body fat %.

Adding weight lifting is good, but sore muscles hold water for repair. This can mask weight loss.

If you can't hit your calories then look for more calorie dense things. Keto is not known as a diet to spare lean muscle loss, going under calories regularly isn't going to help in this area either.
  • nikki29m
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It’s clear I need a more integrated approach. I’m used to cutting carbs or eating 1200 a day and losing about 2 pounds a week pretty easily. The fact that it’s not happening this time around is what’s frustrating. I had blood clots (legs and lungs), blood transfusions for extreme anemia and some reproductive issues about a year ago. I lost weight initially after the hospital, but then gained 15 pounds rapidly (without changing eating or exercise habits) and have really struggled to get it off. I guess I need patience, I need to watch my electrolytes and vitamins more, manage my stress (through the roof), get more sleep (averaging about six hours a night) and just lean into the process...
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you've been dieting a long time, you might need to give your body a break. This thread is big but contains a lot of interesting info:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

You might also find some tips and friends in one of our groups:

Here's a link to our largest low-carb group. Not everyone there does keto, but many do:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Here's a keto group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

And here's a group for paleo/primal enthusiasts:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Like another commenter mentioned, if just starting keto, it's recommended to lay off the weight lifting (which can lead to weight gain) and if working out, switch to a light cardio workout.

Are you still anemic? My daughter battles with anemia, we finally found something that really worked, a broth covered and simmered for 2 hours on low, consisting of water, dried mung beans, and dates, sweetened with a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and added a couple of drops of heavy cream to her cup for taste.

She drank a cup or two every day for two weeks before starting keto. It literally reversed her anemia.

Groups on here mentioned above are great. Low Carber Daily Forum and the keto group are the ones I prefer. Can get lots of tips and advice and talk to others on keto who also have health issues. A lot of people start keto due to medical problems, myself included.

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I am!

Would you be willing to make your diary public? Often this can get the most productive and useful feedback and guidance from the forum brains trust.